Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Dave Bell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Seat Concepts review

Seat Concepts review
I have bought all sorts of seats. I have had three custom made Mayer seats that were wonderful but very expensive. I've had sargents, corbins, and two other Seat Concepts seats.

The attractive feature of Seat Concepts is that you don't have to send them your seat pan nor do you have to buy a whole seat. They send new foam and a new cover. You remove a billion staples, spray on some 3M adhesive, stick the foam on, stretch the new cover on, and staple it.

My $29 air stapler works just fine.

I bought my 05 Dakar used and it may have even had a low seat. The notch that i sat in was very low and restrictive. I could slide up on the back part of the seat and could put in a lot of miles on the seat by doing this.

The seat concepts guy has the same ideas about a good seat that I have come to believe in. The seating area is rather flat but with a slight dish, and the ridge at the back is very subtle so you can slide up and back in stages. It reminds me of a Sargent I had on my KLR, which was the best seat I ever had.

This is my third Seat Concepts seat. I have on on my Yamaha WR250R which is nice for a dirt bike seat. I had one on my F800GS, which was a good seat.

This is a very very good seat. Price was $169 plus shipping, and I have paid over $500 for Mayer seats, so I'm very happy with it.
2011 Ural Gear-Up in green camouflage!
2005 f650 Dakar
2009 Yamaha wr250r
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Seat Concepts is on their way to getting almost all of the aftermarket seat business. I don't like to think back to all the money I have spent for seats that weren't as comfortable.
Their seats on four of my bikes now.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
grnd0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Love mine too. It's the low one and still real comfy.

grnd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
Love mine too. It's the low one and still real comfy.

Is that a low seat? it looks thin and like it has a big dip.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
The only recommendations that I could see for the Seat Concepts products is that they are cheaper, better looking, and far more comfortable than just about anything out there. You don't have to wait six to eight weeks or longer for one. Beyond that, there's not much to say for them.

Oh, yeah, and since they are on a stock pan, they fit like a stock seat without endless dicking around. There's that. . .
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 12:11 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,488
Lots of reviews here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311

For anyone ordering from them, enter the coupon code "ADVRIDER.COM" at checkout and get free shipping.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Nice comparison I have a Sargent on my 08 KLR and it is incredibly comfortable but I paid around $400 for it. I decided to pull the trigger on the Seat Concepts seat for my CRF250x knowing that ANYTHING would be a huge upgrade. To my surprise they will cut a tailbone channel for you free of charge and they fill it with a low density foam so you get the effect of the tailbone channel without a sag in your seat-cover, nice! (When you check out just include "Tail Bone Cut Out" in the notes section). Even with this custom addition my seat was shipped out within 5 business days and in my hands in under two weeks. To my very pleasant surprise the highly affordable seat concepts saddle nearly matches my more than twice as expensive Sargent saddle on my KLR. Keep in mind the KLR is a bigger bike and the Sargent saddle is a solid 3 inches wider, so achieving comparable comfort with less space to work with is truly impressive!!

The saddle was taller than my stock CRF seat and even at the front where it tapers in quite a bit it is still wider than the stock CRF seat so it definitely makes the bike a fair bit taller. I have a 34" inseam and cannot flat foot the bike now where I could flat foot it with a little room to spare prior. I don't mind one bit just an observation.

Seat Concepts CRF250x Saddle with Sargent KLR saddle in the background

Top View. Who would have thought a dirtbike seat could be all day comfortable?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
been sitting on one every day for ~ 22k miles on the Seat Concepts seat and it was the single best thing i ever did to the bike. super comfortable and i love the gripper top.

i love all the thread where guys spend twice or three times as much for some other seat and then bitch about how hard or narrow or otherwise uncomfortable it is, how they've "re-worked" it to make it better, yada yada yada. never listening to the simple testimonials of those of us who have been 100% satisfied for many miles/hours. it's just satisfying knowing SC was the right choice.

(it's a little scrunchy in this pic as i just fitted the bigger tank and it hasn't sat in the sun to tighten the cover back up)

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 12:12 PM Reason: pic
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
grnd0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
It is the low, about 1" lower than the regular. More dip, yes, to get it lower where
you sit. Love it. I think the little extra width on the SC is where the comfort
comes from.
grnd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
It is the low, about 1" lower than the regular. More dip, yes, to get it lower where
you sit. Love it. I think the little extra width on the SC is where the comfort
comes from.
How wide is it?

tmotten screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 04:03 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
I can't wait to get a few of my bikes kinks worked out and get one of these ordered up. I've sat on corbins, owned a sargent that was good....had stock bmw's that I despised...... Local shop charges $175 just to install a gel insert and put the cover bag on, as if that'd do any good on our dual sports.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
wowsers
F8 & b there

Oddometer: 29
I bought one from Seat Concepts this spring for my 08 KLR650 and couldn't be happier. The quality and comfort are top notch.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
They built a really slick Suede/leather seat for my 2011 530,very sleek and sexy looking,comfortable to boot!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,546
you'll notice in each of the pix above that there is a wrinkle in the fabric in the narrow flat near the tip. the one in mine was way bigger... a really poor fit. it works ok, but not that great. just sayin'
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
you'll notice in each of the pix above that there is a wrinkle in the fabric in the narrow flat near the tip. the one in mine was way bigger... a really poor fit. it works ok, but not that great. just sayin'
My photos are from the first day I had the seat and I only had a little Stanley hand stapler to work with. I could only get about 1 in 20 staples to bite into the seat pan so it's barely tacked on in that photo. I've since pulled it back off and re-installed with a proper air stapler. I stapled the front in place and then had my buddy hold the rear tight while I stapled it down. After that I slowly worked my way down towards the center alternating sides with each staple. It took about 20 minutes to get everything just so but it did get rid of the wrinkles. It requires quite a bit of tension though so make sure you have the front positioned how you want it and staple it in place so you can really yank on the rear of it without ripping anything. As I worked my way towards the center I tried to tug the seat material away from the curve of the seat since it seems to be a little "baggy" in that area. I agree the fit isn't perfect but with a little work I was able to make mine fit properly. I also used some 3M spray adhesive when I did the final install.

RyanR screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:45 AM
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote