User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Oddometer: 294
As The Crow Flies

On Saturday August 18 a group of us went on a week long adventure, avoiding pavement as much as we could, but this time rather than a big loop the plan was to do less packing and more riding and use a base camp for part of the trip, it was an adventure with exciting riding, exploring and having fun.

The route from Spot

On Saturday Gary (Intotheabis), his son Collin (n0rad), Sean (CDN RC'ER) and myself Eric, met in Burlington to start the journey. The plan was to meet Paul (PaulT) in Caledon later in the morning and ride north east towards the bottom of Algonquin Park, Gary's brother Scott was to meet us in Deep River Tuesday morning due to work conflicts. Well that was the plan a few days before the departure date....

The bunch of us,

KTMER screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 03:05 AM
KTMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Like most trips lots of planning can go into them from where to go to where to stay, part of the fun of going on trips is the research and learning the areas and I like doing it. So naturally when the trip is approaching the last thing we want is for someone to miss out and not go. Well almost happened to me. Due to a number of strained muscles from a few weeks of activity (that really weren't too sore), while at work the Monday before departure, I sneezed. Well holy hell I just about hit the floor , the sneeze wrenched my back enough to pinch my sciatic nerve, almost instantly my right foot started to tingle and leg hurt like a bugger and could hardly stand or keep a straight face. A first in lifetime trip to chiropractor showed my back looking like this. And red isn't good. I have never experienced pain like this before

I told the other guys that day that I may have to opt out and not go, but wasn't giving up hope yet. I saw the chiropractor three more times that week to adjust my spine and stretch muscles, on top of that advil and ice. Walking for more that 50 feet put me in a world of hurt. I've never packed my bags while lying on the floor next to them, luckily the bike didn't need too much work.
Come Friday afternoon I managed to get the bike loaded and figured if I could swing my leg over I would go, wasn't really a 'swing' but I got on. Luckily sitting on the bike was good, it was the standing that was the problem for now. Saturday morning after a hit of advil (the first of many), off I went, I could always bail later I thought.
Thats my story of almost missing out.

KTMER screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:00 PM
Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

And then there's Paul's story.

He had a busy week and was late getting things together as of Wednesday night when we spoke but was under control. Until I got a message to call him Friday night, turns out his KTM Superenduro had an issue with the fuel pump, first time ever. He spent all day Friday running around gathering parts to retrofit it to a new electronic fuel pump, which he managed to get installed and seemed to be working but then the bike wouldn't start anymore. It is now 10pm the night before leaving.

I wasn't of much help to him but we decided he starts fresh in the morning and he will catch up to us. With a fresh start the next day he detirmined it was an issue with the starter, it was hung up somehow and basically jammed. He got it freed up and started up fine. His plan was to blast up the highway from Toronto and meet us at the first campsite in the evening.
Whew.

KTMER screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:09 PM
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Subscribed! Looking forward to this.....
mdlak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Pics of the bikes, a real mixture, all of which did well with no issues considering the pounding they took

Collin, riding Dad's KLR, and his first adventure ride

Gary's Triumph, don't seem to have a good shot of Gary by his bike Gary had quite a workout on some of the logging roads/trails

Paul with his SuperEnduro

Sean and his XR

Scott on his DL1000, who was new to the motorcycle camping experience, packed a little more than was necessary, but managed well on the roads we encountered. As the days went on he was lightening the load and giving things away to anybody who wanted the stuff

And me on my 640
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Not alot of pics of day one, was a mostly pavement ride heading north east towards the bottom tip of Algonquin, but did manage to find a few nice roads along the way

At the start

Here's one of Gary by his Tiger

Sean feeling hungry

Being advised we can't go down the gravel road going to the left as it's private, we thought after they were probably just trying to keep us out of the area, but went a different route anyway

Arriving at camp for the night, the private campgrounds are the way to go, we slept for an average of $15 a night, much better than the provincial parks, and better locations for the campgrounds than the big parks too

Paul arrived shortly after and we got set up, made dinner, and slept

bbq chicken

and pasta
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Day two the plan was to ride into the Satellite Observatory in Algonquin park, then on to Deep River for our next three nights.

Stocking up on supplies in Barry's Bay (and always checking phones when we had signal)

After Barry's Bay we got into the more interesting riding, starting with nice sandy roads, weather was great again

What I thought was a higher speed gravel route turned into this, much more fun than gravel but also slower going and we had a lot of ground to cover. By this time we were a couple hours behind where we thought we would be

Eventually making it to our lunch stop in Pembroke around 2pm

By the time we finished lunch we were much later in the day than planned so decided to head straight for Deep River as it was still a long ride away and come back to the Satellite Observatory the following day rather than rush through the route. The way I laid out the trip the route was easily adjusted to what we want to do.

We travelled along Barron Canyon Road along the eastern edge of Algonquin which is a great road

Only to come to this

Working off older gps software I didn't even realize Canadian Forces Base Petawawa was on the other side of the trench

Gary had that look a few times over the trip

So that involved some backtracking and zipped up the highway to Deep River to camp

Had a little more fun towards the Deep River end

Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
KTMER OP
On roads less travelled

Rather than camp cooking we ate out for dinner as the grocery and beer stores were closed for the day.

Deep River waterfront (Ottawa River)

And arrived shortly after at the campground, this was our base for the next three nights

This was a great place to stay complete with our own pavilion
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMER View Post
Only to come to this

Hmmm. Never stopped you before.........
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 984

Good stuff guys
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
ereneT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Very nice guys, one day I want to do a ride like that.
ereneT is offline   Reply With Quote