User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
$2000 spent at BMW dealer, bike still not running

Okay, so here is the background. I have a 00 1150 GS with just over 63k. I was in Nova Scotia having a great vacation until my bike died on the side of the road on a rainy day. The bike lurched (correct term?) then would shut off. I restarted it and it did the same thing as before, died when given throttle. I pulled over on the side of the road, it would not start. The RPM gauage did bounce around (from 0 to 3) I had to tow it to nearest BMW dealer in Canada ($640 tow job )

They have spent 2 weeks lookng at the bike and i will be spending $2000 dollars and it still is not working. One of the coils was going bad (mechanic showed me the graph and it was bad) so that was replaced.

The bike would not start up fine but only when giving it throttle. If you continue to give it throttle it will run fine. As soon as you let the bike idle, it sputters and dies. The mechanic has spent a lot of time and is lost. Checked multiple sensors, fuel pump, throttle cable, throttle bodies, and i assume (hope) a lot more stuff. They are stumped.

The bike is still in Dieppe NB and I will not be able to go get it until the last week in September, but I am trying to gain some knowledge of any other possible reasons why this is happening.

Does anyone have any new ideas? different ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

UPDATE
Okay, so I contacted BMW North America and their response was a hearty "That is terrible, but we can not help you. Your bike is out of warranty so we can not help you."

What do I do now? Can I do something? Anyone have ideas for me? Keep e-mailing them? Face it that BMW has terrible customer service?

Any advice would be helpful.

Created webpage to try and get BMW attention. Not sure if its worth but might as well try it. Please join:

ebohnet1 screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 06:54 PM
ebohnet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Bummer

Tps
Plug wires
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

list

I think they checked the TPS.

I am currently trying to get them to send me a list of everything they have checked/done so I will post that as soon as i get it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,673
Hall Effect Sensor?
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
chiwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I had a similar issue, and it was the FI inyector filters.

Yes fuel inyector has a filter, that it can get clogged.

Replaced filters and now bike runs smoother than ever.

chiwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwo View Post
I had a similar issue, and it was the FI inyector filters.

Yes fuel inyector has a filter, that it can get clogged.

Replaced filters and now bike runs smoother than ever.

The FI filters are small screens that fit into the inlet of the FI trapping anything that comes down the high pressure line. Usually, FI cleaning services replace these little screen filters as a part of the cleaning process.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,286
You shouldn't pay for parts changed that aren't fixing the bike! Coils etc.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

List

Here is the email i got back from the dealer.

HE IS STILL BAFFLED ABOUT IT THE FIRST WAS THE INCONSISTENT HALL SENSOR READINGS (REPLACED THE PART). DOUBLE CHECKED THE IGNITION TIMING A FEW TIMES
REPLACED THE INJECTORS, CHECKED THE FUEL PUMP AND LINES. PERFORMED ALL THE DIAGNOSTIC TESTS FROM THE MOSS COMPUTER FOR A (TURNS OVER BUT DOES NOT START)
CHECKED WIRING HARNESS CONNECTIONS AND WIRES FOR BREAKS (FINAL TEST WAS REPLACE THE ECM) DID SO WITH A DONOR BIKE. BIKE FIRED UP AND RAN GOOD. RE-INSTALLED OLD ECM AND BIKE RAN FINE AS WELL. NEXT DAY ROUTED THE WIRING HARNESS AND ZIP TIED. RE-INSTALLED THE FUEL TANK WOULD NOT START. REMOVED THE TANK AND STARTED TO OPEN THE WIRING HARNESS TO FIND A BROKEN OR CHAFED WIRE (NOTHING) TO COMPLETELY CHECK THE HARNESS THE BIKE WOULD NEED TO BE DISMANTLED TO REACH THE WIRES INDER THE BATTERY BOX

WHILE THESE TESTS WERE PERFORMED THE BIKE WOULD SOMETIMES START WHEN THE THROTTLE WAS APPLIED (ENGINE WAS RESPONSIVE AND SOUNDED GOOD)

WOULD NOT IDLE OR START AT IDLE
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 318
I would guess that your broken wire is near the steering head,
get a wire tester and twist the bars back and forth,

Look particularly at the flexing areas that were secured by a zip tie,
this is a known issue where Franz didnt make the wire loop long enough then super cranked the wire bundle and the wires quickly broke where they were flexing
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
I went back and read your early emails and the following (highlighted in yellow) stood out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebohnet1 View Post
Okay, so here is the background. I have a 00 1150 GS with just over 63k. I was in Nova Scotia having a great vacation until my bike died on the side of the road on a rainy day. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebohnet1 View Post
Here is the email i got back from the dealer.

... (FINAL TEST WAS REPLACE THE ECM) DID SO WITH A DONOR BIKE. BIKE FIRED UP AND RAN GOOD. RE-INSTALLED OLD ECM AND BIKE RAN FINE AS WELL. NEXT DAY ROUTED THE WIRING HARNESS AND ZIP TIED. RE-INSTALLED THE FUEL TANK WOULD NOT START. REMOVED THE TANK AND STARTED TO OPEN THE WIRING HARNESS TO FIND A BROKEN OR CHAFED WIRE (NOTHING) TO COMPLETELY CHECK THE HARNESS THE BIKE WOULD NEED TO BE DISMANTLED TO REACH THE WIRES INDER THE BATTERY BOX...
The above symptoms make me think it could be water in the fuel. You would hope the mechanic would have checked for that early in the process and/or fixed it by default if they drained the tank to remove/inspect the fuel pump - but you never know... possibly they got so wrapped up in their computer diagnostic tests, they ignored the basics.

The other possibility that comes to mind would be a chafed plug wire arcing out to the underside of the tank (another thing that should have been relatively easy to find and fix).

I understand how the dealer could run up a big bill with lots of time spent troubleshooting - but they should have capped the charges well before $2000 and persevered until they found the problem. I realize the (potentially inept) mechanic still needs to be paid but the dealer certainly should not be making ANY profit from you, and if they have real integrity, they will be taking the financial hit, simply because it is the right thing to do. Only if they had to replace something really pricey such as the ECM or complete wiring harness (and it actually fixed the problem) could there be any justification for a bill approaching that magnitude.

Do you have the itemized bill?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,286
Tagesk had a dead 1150-click here His turned out to be a wire damaged by battery acid I think.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Tagesk had a dead 1150-click here His turned out to be a wire damaged by battery acid I think.

Good feedback from the collective. I'd definitely be looking for a bad ground and checking the fuel system for flow.

Otherwise the only I can offer is empathy over the rape of the bro's wallet. Was there an agreement that this puppy would be "fixed"? If so, services were not delivered and you have a case.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
yikes..not good but do keep us posted on the result, good data for all down the road perhaps...hopefully not!
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,803
Sounds like the HES. Was a thread a few years back where a 1150 owner went nuts trying to hunt down a problem. Turned out the replacement HES was defective.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,641
I'm concerned about your $2000.00 and counting bill that the dealer has racked up.
def is offline   Reply With Quote