User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
ANCH, AK to Sac, CA

This season has been a great one for me , i've riddin all over Alaska and reach the Arctic Circle , which was always one of my dream ride, this winter i want to start planning a big trip... i want to plan a ride back to my home town, Sacramento ,cali. i am thinking i want at least 2 1/2 weeks to do this run . so does anyone have any advice..suggestions, anything about this route here.?

nuttynu screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 11:34 PM
nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,515
Yeah, I suggest you time it to hit Dawson City Yukon on Thrus/Fri June 20-21 for the annual Dust2Dawson gathering. Good times!

Also, maybe try to get to Barb's movie nights held each month thru the winter to meet a few of us.

Are you leaving for good or just a vacation?

Have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks duc !
I was planning maybe June or July. Or in between. And yes it is just for vacation and love riding purpose . I also have family down there and would like to visit them . Been too long
Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Once you get in to Washington state hit the coast and follow it down instead of I-5, then wander back up the spine of the mountains using the Oregon and Washington Backcountry Discovery Routes. If your butt's sore at the end, take a blue collar cruise on the Alaskan Marine Highway ferry.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
If your butt's sore at the end, take a blue collar cruise on the Alaskan Marine Highway ferry.
Yeah, I thought about mentioning the ferry too. Besides being a nice 2 day rest for you and the bike between Haines and Prince Rupert, or vise versa, you'd get to ride a couple of the nicest twisty paved roads around.

It's expensive tho. You and the bike would be $372 one-way. If you book r/t you go for free and the bike would be $424.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

No ferries, I want to ride &ride back...

I will have to do more research on routes down the lowers 48
Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,711
From the ADV archives:

Living in Alaska for over 30 years and being an avid motorcyclist for half again that long certainly doesn't make me an expert but.... here is a route
that I use.
From Flathead Lake:
Glacier National Park to Babb, MT
Babb to Pincher Creek, AB: with a side jaunt into Waterton Pk
Pincher Creek over the Crows Nest to CranBrook, BC
Cranbrook to Creston, BC
Creston to Kootenay Bay; free ferry to Balfour
31 and 31A to Nakusp
23 to Galena Bay; free ferry to Shelter Bay
Shelter Bay to Revelstoke, BC
Revelstoke into Lake Louise and up to Jasper, AB

Not sure if this works but if you are anywhere near either Revelstoke on the north end or Creston, BC on the south end, DO THE ABOVE.

Drive up to Alaska, do the Taylor, do Dawson City, do the Denali, see the Kenai (Homer, Seward) do the Parks and the Glenn. Pick up the ferry at Haines and float to Prince Rupert. If time (lack of time) is an issue, drive north... play around... stash the bikes in Anchorage...fly home...fly back next summer... do the D2D..go home.
Team Pterodactyl Northern Command
Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,694
^^^ This! I followed this route with AKMud and it was a great route.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Your route looks almost exactly the same as my ride this last July on my old airhead. Except I started from Fairbanks and ended up in Santa Cruz. The round trip took less than a month with about 6 non-riding days.

I ended up on I-5 from Portland to Sacramento mostly for convenience on the way down but completely avoided it on the way back where I went through Chico and eastern OR.
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Wink

Doing some homework.' It'll be roughly 6,200 miles rountrip, I want to complete it in 12 days.

About $900 in gas. Trying to camp out instead on checking in rooms .
Planning maybe June 8th till the 23rd.
I ill try to make it back for 2013 D2D. Totall of at least 16 days on 2 wheels..

I must...must have to at least average 520 ish miles per day.

Kinda worried what Canada speed are. So that might slow me down. Trying to route thus Canada-less as much as possible.(no offense ey! )

What cha think. ?

I'm so stoked thinking about it. But i must get the time off work before I can start detailing the trip.
Also planning to stay maybe 2 days and night in Sacramento Cali. Final destination purposely for family visit. And head to d2d to hang with ya folks ;)
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
2 1/2 weeks will be a bit tight for round trip, especially if you want to spend any time with family down here. A couple things to keep in mind, especially considering your tight time line. When you tent, it takes 30 to 45 minutes every night to set things up and 45 minutes to an hour every morning to pack up and strap down. So you will lose about an hour and a half every day. Also, you won't have the sun setting at midnight down here like you do up there so your days will get shorter as you make your way south. Plus you will need shop time for a change of tires and probably two oil changes. Sounds like a great trip and with so many things to see down here hopefully you can squeeze some more time for the trip. I did the opposite trip this past summer.....Lake Tahoe to Alaska and back. I went up the Cassiar and back the Alaska highway. Both were beautiful and worth doing. Happy planning.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

True about unpacking and re packing. It take me nope than one hour.

For tires. I will be taking off in fresh tires, I'm hoping they will get me thru the round trip. Unles it gets nail or chew up really bad.. For oil , I plan on doing only one change once I arrive in Cali. After that the Honda should se fine. And yes i wish I do have more time. But we'll see.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Are you runnin the Michelin PR2s again? I have had great luck with those. Another choice is the Scorpion Trail. I got almots 7k out of the rear on a Ulysses and they gripped enough to drag hard cases. It is also a dual compound rear.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Are you runnin the Michelin PR2s again? I have had great luck with those. Another choice is the Scorpion Trail. I got almots 7k out of the rear on a Ulysses and they gripped enough to drag hard cases. It is also a dual compound rear.

No, I'm running on the Michelin roads 3, I went thru two sets this season averaging about 8k miles each. So I'll be stick with these guys for a whiles. Good life,grip, handles good in rain and gravel.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
RedShift42
Some guy

Oddometer: 312
Looks like you've selected the Cassiar Hwy instead of the AlCan.
Good choice.
Traveled it again this summer myself, just opposite direction, and woulda been up for the return trip 3 days later!

Sure the Cassiar's all paved now and almost civilized, but every mile (er, kilometer) is gorgeous, still some technical bits in the northern half, and so much less tourist/RV traffic.
Just keep tabs on your fuel; there seems to have been an inverse relationship of gas stops to new pavement.

-Eric.
-JD

RedShift42 is offline   Reply With Quote