User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Tasmania on a Tenere

I recently purchased a near new 2010 XT660Z Tenere, with 1900km on the clock... Now I've got a couple of rides under my belt I might as well start a thread to document my travels...

I'll start with a bit of back story:- Last year I got the urge to get back into riding after a 20 year break, I got a fairly clapped out Dominator and spent a heap of time repairing, rebuilding, and riding it over the last year... Being 20 years old there was always something to repair or replace on it, and I was sick of planning every ride around fuel stops and worrying about running out... It only has a 16L tank, larger tanks are rare, and it's a pain carrying extra fuel cans, I really don't like having fuel strapped to the outside of the bike....

There's a bit more background info in my Dominator ride report here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753446
I've written about a lot of my day trips but they're scattered through the "Tasmanian Riders Hub" thread, I might tack them onto the above thread at some stage to conclude the "Dominator era"..

Anyway... I've been eying off these new Teneres' since getting the urge to ride again but the price tag turned me off... Then this basically brand new one appeared at a very good price so I had to have it...

After riding it 10km home my first impressions were: it's heavy, tall, the bars vibrate badly, and the wind buffeting around the screen is terrible... I figured I can live with or fix these concerns, and if not, I got it cheap enough to be able to sell without taking a loss...

Let the fun begin

(Don't expect too much, I'm not a good rider or a serious rider, I'm just a hack... and I'm certainly not a good writer or story teller)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

1000km Lap of Tasmania in a Day

2012-09-03
Since I got back on the road last year I've been toying with the idea of doing a 1000km (625 mile) lap of Tasmania in a day considering the new Tenere had Metzeler Tourances on it (road tyres basically), I figured I better do it now before I put the offroad tyres on...

I had only ridden the bike 10km at this stage so I figured after this 1000km I would either love it or hate it....

Prep:
To try and settle the bar vibrations I wrapped a 200gram strip of lead around the Bark-Busters on the end of each bar, And I roughly mounted a bit of MDF on the bars to mount my iPhone on and to try and disrupt the airflow from around the tank to try and settle the wind buffeting:

The plan was to head off around 4am, head up the twisty west coast, across the top, and down the east coast, getting home by dark...

The route:

Departed at 4:12am

(the clock is an hour fast, it's on daylight savings time)

Riding out west in the dark was a bad move... I expected to see quite a few animals, I didn't expect the huge numbers I ended up seeing... It was damn scary! Never again! ... I ended up hitting 3 small wallabies, 2 straight under both wheels, 1 seemed to run into the front wheel then bounce off my boot/leg... Thankfully I managed to dodge all the big ones...

Had to deal with a little frost also:

First stop was about 7:30am, 240km in, at the old Iron Blow mine near Queenstown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Blow

Next stop was at 9:30am, 400km, at Highclere near Burnie for fuel:

Then at 11:45, 554km, at the Batman Bridge for a quick bite to eat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Bridge

Then I had a quick piss-stop at 2:00pm, 740km, up between Weldborough and St Helens, where I ran into the son of inmate "IVA BIGGIN" on his beast of a BMW:

A quick fuel stop in St Helens.

Then at 4pm, 875km, coming down the east coast, I HAD to have a break, I was starting to get tired and a bit sore, I chugged down a Redbull and had a couple of ibuprofens which helped immensely

Arrived home at 5:50pm after 13.5 hours of riding, with 1030km on the clock... Mission accomplished

It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected... (I was prepared to stop at a motel for the night if it was too much)...

The Tenere purred along perfectly, I LOVE it... The seat was better than expected, it was slightly uncomfortable after a few hours, but I never really got sore.... The lead weights on the bars killed almost all the vibrations, and with earphones in playing music the wind buffeting didn't bother me too much...

For 1020km (filled up 10km from home) I used 51L of fuel... which works out to just under 20 KM/L... Less than expected, but I had given it a fair hammering around all the twisty stuff...

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 05:15 PM
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Gordon Dam - Mueller - Styx Rd

2012-09-15
Distance:384km

Route:

(there's a few straight bits on the route where the phone lost the GPS satellites due to the terrain and where it was mounted low I guess)

I've read they don't put much grease in the bearings when they assemble new bikes so before I get it caked in mud I decided to spend a bit of time stripping it down and greasing the suspension, swing-arm, and head-stem bearings, and putting copper-cote on all the bolts, brake pins, axles and such... Glad I did, all the bearings and bolts were basically dry... Hopefully I'll get a few extra K's out of them now

For a bit of a shakedown ride to make sure it was all back together ok, I headed out to Gordon dam, the plan was to have one last sealed road ride before putting some dirt tyres on...

After 100km I was sick to death of the sealed roads, they bore me, so I stopped and check the bike over, everything seemed ok, so I headed off down Island Rd, a forestry road that runs through the hills that jut out into the southern end of Lake Gordon: (108 to 131km on the route)

After that dirt-fix I was content to cruise along through to Gordon Dam, I was lazy and didn't stop for photos, so I'll throw some in from last time I was out there on the Dominator:

Sentinel Range:

Lake Pedder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pedder

Gordon Dam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Dam

Then around to Serpentine Dam where I stopped for some pics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_Dam,_Tasmania

Explored a couple of side tracks on the way back, this is a great spot for pics: (around 205km on the route)

With the crappy tyres I was reluctant to do much offroad, but I couldn't help myself, I ended up taking the forestry roads home... Turned off Gordon River Rd (at around 238 on the route) into Scotts Peak Rd, then into Mueller Rd and followed that through to Styx Rd and made my way home with a loop up around Cassons Rd and some new forestry roads that aren't mapped (around 300-312 on the route)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styx_Valley

I only uploaded 30 seconds of video from this ride to show how bad the wind buffeting around the screen is:

I used 17.3L of fuel for 375km = 21.7 KM/L

All up a nice easy ride Time to put some decent tyres on and start having some fun

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 03:17 AM
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Nice one Thanks for sharing it.. wish we had that bike available here.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Florentine West

2012-09-19 Florentine West
Distance 296km

The plan was to poke around all the old forestry tracks at the western side of the Florentine Valley state forest... I wanted to get in as close to the "Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park" as I could.(Part of the largest "World Heritage Area" in Australia)

Some associated links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Florentine_Valley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankli..._National_Park
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3937
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Wilderness

Route:

I took one of my standard routes out through New Norfolk, Plenty Vally Rd, through to Styx Rd up past Maydena onto the Florentine Rd... The Styx and Florentine Rd's are wide gravel logging haul roads, they're like gravel highways, fairly fast roads...

BTW, before this ride I installed a pair of Dunlop D606 knobbies, 180gram Bark-Buster bar weights, and a Ram mount phone holder.. I use a iPhone 3GS with the Memory-Map app for navigation and music:

(The phone mount is just thrown on for the moment, I'll tidy it up later)

At around 101km on the route I turned off Florentine Rd into Eleven Rd and started poking around the back tracks:

7 min video heading up Eleven Rd and up a mossy side spur:

Then I headed up Alpine Rd which climbs up the side of Tiger Range (I think that's what it's called) (116-120km on the route)

Stunning views across the Florentine from up the top, photos do it no justice:

The ride up Alpine Rd, and checking out the view at the top, a 6min vid:

Then I headed back down to Eleven Rd, along to Tiger Rd, and up Range Rd (at 128 on the route)... It seems no one really comes up here, most the tracks are covered in thick slippery moss, and a lot of the tracks are overgrown and blocked by fallen trees...

I had to stop and break a tree up a bit to get through:

While I was stopped I wandered down the track to make sure I could get through further, there was a few more small fallen trees, no drama hey... Walking back I stepped on a small log and though to myself, "Damn that's slippery, better be careful on this one".... Of course I forgot about it once i was back on the bike, I didn't hit it quite square and down we went :

It was the first time I've been dumped on my ass since I started riding again last year, it was no drama, it gave me a chance to practice lifting the bike...

No damage

A 2.5 min video of the fall and pick up:

To be Continued....

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 09:31 PM
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Florentine West - continued...

This is the sort of exploring I really enjoy, overgrown tracks where no one ever goes

A 4 min video bashing through crap and sight seeing:

Earlier in the day I was being careful not to scratch the new bike, but as the day went on I gave up and just started bashing my way through where I could...

After poking around a few dead end spurs I came to Upper Coles Rd (157.5km on the route), it runs along the top of a ridge at the end of Gordon Range, there was a lot of wind damaged trees:

A 15min video, all pretty slow pottering around, hopping hundreds of little logs and getting the bike through fallen trees... Probably not particularly interesting to most people:

After poking around out there I started making my way back out:

If any Tasmanians head out there, take it easy on the mossy roads, try not to chew them up, be mindful of what you're riding on... There's a whole little world down there:

The junction of Tiger and Florentine Rd

3 min video blasting down Florentine Rd:

Then I just made my way home via the same route I took on the way up there...

I used 16.2L of fuel for 296km... 18.3 KM/L

An excellent ride, all fairly easy, nothing too technical other than hopping over small fallen trees

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 05:44 AM
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Great Thread

Enjoying your travels Flickit.. keep it up

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 418
Great rides!

Looking forward to riding Tassie one day..

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Love the RR mate.

Certainly one of my must do destinations.

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Previously owned: '92 XT350, 89 FJ1200, '99 VFR800
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien
OutbackDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Some Mods

Thanks for the comments ... they're appreciated

I've got a couple more rides to write about... but I might mention a couple of mods first... (pointless starting another thread for them)

I've been using a soft Ventura top-bag which came with the bike and I hated it... The zippers are a bit dickie, the ones on the pockets are too short so it's a pain to get stuff in and out of them... and with the tapered design of the main compartment you have to pull all the stuff out of the top to get to lower stuff... And it's not really waterproof!

Even though it weighs about 6kg, I wanted my cheap Pelican copy top box on the Tenere... They're water & dust proof, easy to get to everything, when I have to push the bike backwards it's easy to just learn against the box and push, a lot easier than dragging on the bars or grab handles... And when I drop the bike the box keeps the rear up off the ground a bit...

Thread about the boxes:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=619341&page=3

It hangs over the seat a bit so I had to make some quick release mounts so I can get under the seat to the air filter and battery:

I had to file the sides off so they clear the grab handles:

I'll replace the panhead screws with countersunk ones when I get some:

The fingers sit snugly either side of the B&B rack mounting bushes so it's located left to right:

A couple of easy to get to 6mm bolts through the back, I might replace them with something else eventually:

I generally always ride solo, and more often than not in remote places, so I carry a lot of tools, survival gear, and odd'n'sods to get me out of trouble if necessary:

I also moved the RAM-mount from above the speedo to down on the bars:

It wasn't bad up high, but it vibrated a bit, and I find it easier to use down at bar level:

BTW, the rubber-bands around the phone aren't really needed, but I like the added security, there's no way the phone can jump out

:)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Mt Llyod to Picton

2012-10-12 Picton

Distance:457.5km

My continuing quest to ride every dirt road I can find and get to the most remote parts of Tasmania

Route:

I headed off about 7am and made my way out through New Norfolk, then up to the pine forests at Mt Lloyd, there was a couple of tracks through here I haven't used before so I went this way to mark them off the map..

A 7 min video of the sandy roads down the eastern side of the Mt Lloyd pine forests (33 to 36km on the route), you can't tell by the video, but some of these hills are ridiculously steep and badly rutted.... The last 2 mins are at the airstrip at the southern end of the forest.. (at 43km on the route)

It seems the airstrip was probably used for fertilizing the pine plantations at some stage:

From there I cruised down to the main haul road that runs between Plenty Valley and Judbury, then Down to Glen Huon to explore some tracks I saw on Google Earth that run over to Geeveston...

It turned out to be a fun route (75 to 99km on the route), a bit rough in places, part of it follows alongside the Southwood powerlines:

At about 94km, there's a gate onto Harwoods Rd, it's too keep people out, not in, so I went around it: (Gopro grab)

(I don't encourage going around gates, but at times, there's no real choice... other than backtracking and wasting heaps of time)

I stopped at Geeveston to top up with fuel then headed south out of town, down the Huon hwy, and turned off into Kermandie River Rd, I followed that through to the new-ish haul road... They don't come much wider or smoother!

I then headed down Hermons Rd to Boney Rd, and headed through Swearing Bobs Plain: (110 to 114km on the route)

A 10 min video, first 1/2 is through a wet ferny forest, second 1/2 across the plain...

I went through here on the Dominator going the other way, it's one of my favorite tracks, shitty enough to be fun, but not so bad that you're going to get stuck

Here's the run through on the Dominator if anyones interested>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WAtF-xnUU

Then it was just a bit of a zigzag through the forests taking a few new (to me) roads:

On Pares Rd I came to this: (at 154km)

Which is usually is the sign that a bridge is out... In this case, a gravel covered log bridge that had given way and turned into a bit of a sink hole:

It was safe enough for me, so I headed through... The only issue was the road block at the other end was too well constructed to get around ... I could probably have made it down through the rain gutter, but I would have chewed it up pretty bad, it was very soft deep clay...

Turned back and made my way around to Esperance River Rd, then up to Hermons Rd (167km).... Hermons Rd goes around the edge of Esperance Plain, some great views, and a great ride: (a couple of pics my BIL tinkered with)

Then it was back to the haul road, onto Kermandie Rd, and up to Arve Rd, which I followed around to near Tahune Airwalk, with a detour up Arve Loop which is blocked by a gate...

Tahune Airwalk, a popular forest tourist attraction:
http://www.adventureforests.com.au/i...d=25&Itemid=22

Down near Tahune Airwalk I turned off into Picton Rd (at 215km on the route).... I came down here a few weeks ago on the Dominator but had to turn back, due to a lack of fuel... This time I wanted to explore all the side tracks and get to the end at Farmhouse Creek on th edge of the World Heritage area...

The Picton River at 216km:

I detoured in to a large quarry I spotted on Google Earth:

It was made up of what looked like large river stones...

I'm no geologist, but I "think" it's probably a glacial deposit:

I'm a sucker for an interesting rock

I then continued on down Picton West.... Some nice roads down here:

Stabbed!:

The old bridge that use to connect Picton East to Picton West (before the Picton West Rd was built): (252km on the route)

Lots of interesting creeks/streams:

At 279km I made it to my destination, Farmhouse Creek:

For a bit of history.... This was the location of a lot of anti-logging protests in the mid 80's... Tree sitting protesters became popular after a Tassie guy, Alec Marr, spent 16 days camped 50 meters up a tree around here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=6038,645072

A pic of Bob Brown doing his thing down here... I believe he was shot at, and arrested, during this protest:

(pic from: http://www.filmaust.com.au/wildernes...ggle/page7.htm )

Anyway.... I was tempted to ride across the footbridge and check out the track on the other side, but since it's a National Park-World Heritage Area, I thought I better not

Gotta love clear-felling:

I'm a bit conflicted on the whole forestry/logging thing... it's sad to see such amazing forests being annihilated, but without forestry we wouldn't have access to these areas and all these glorious roads

Content I had explored all the tracks down here I headed back out to Arve Rd, then up Blue Hill Rd (315km on the route)

A logging skidder, used to drag the logs around:

The view north from Edwards Rd:

Southwood, where a lot of the trees end up: www.southwoodresources.com.au

The Arve River from Edwards Link Rd:

I then ducked across Southwood Rd into the Bracken Ridge trail (327 to 332km)... This a a fairly steep crappy track, great fun... When I got to the top I was thinking, "That's going to make a good video", then realized the Gopro battery had gone flat so I only got 1/2 of it.... Not to be beaten I put a new battery in and decided to do a loop around via Bermuda Old Rd and do it again....

Old Bermuda Rd is 335-342km on my route... The first half turned out to be a decent gravel road, then past the power lines it turned to crap, lots of mud holes:

Part A... an 8 min video: (part B is better)

As it went on it got pretty bad, some steep parts, and lots of small rock ledges to drop off: Usual story, the Gopro makes everything look flat
Part B... 11 mins

It turned out to be quite an effort this late in the day.... but still good fun... I've since found out this road shouldn't be used between 1st of August and 31st of January, they close it so people don't disturb the wedgetails that breed in the area.... (oh well, good thing I'm just a single quiet bike)

Anyway, made my way back to Bracken Ridge Trail, a 9 min video... it's a lot steeper than it looks

After that I headed home via the judbury-Plenty haul Rd... I usually steer well clear of any logging activities but since it was right next to a major road, and no one was around, I stopped for some pics (from the road)

Cable logging:

Anyway.... an awesome ride
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,369
Thumb

I liked those pics near the dam.
Cool.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 254
beautiful country ya got there thanks a bunch for taking us with you.
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 795
Awesome report!

Ride safe with your new tenere!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the comments

I've got another ride to add with a stack of photos, this page is getting a bit heavy so I better insert a couple of BS posts to push it out to another page..