Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Gas tank hose not connected; repercussions?

I was working on the bike and took off the right side cover to get better access under the beak. What I found was that one of the 'hoses' was not attached to the gas tank.

In the attached picture below, it was the one on the far right, marked in pink. There is a "W" etched in the plastic under the pink spot.

I ought to know this by now, but ...
Can someone tell me what the two right hoses are for?
And what happened (or did not happen) while the far right one was not attached?

Now I'll have to figure out whether I was the last one to remove the tank, or if the BMW shop was the one? I don't imagine that vibration should shake them loose if they were properly attached.

Thanks,
-ceej

And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I believe one is overflow and one is for charcoal canister... any overflow would not drip onto the ground, instead under your tank which could potentially cause a fire...?
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthy Knobkers View Post
I believe one is overflow and one is for charcoal canister... any overflow would not drip onto the ground, instead under your tank which could potentially cause a fire...?
You've got it correct. One hose drains water from the outside of the tank in the filler neck area. The other hose vents the inside of the tank through the charcoal canister. That hose is connected to a one-way valve that keeps fuel from running out if the bike tips over.

I don't know which hose is which on your bike. If it is water drain, nothing bad happens. If it is the vent, if you left it open a long time, dirt might get inside and (heaven forbid it) vapors would escape into the atmosphere.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,453
The only danger is dripping gas.

After doing a canisterectomy I connect both of these hoses together up there with a Y pipe and just drop one hose down to a safe place. The best place seems to be next to your rear brake master cyclinder with enough hose hanging down that any spills don't touch anything.

As it is now if your bike falls over when it is hot or running, or if you over fill your gas tank when hot....gasoline could drip on the engine and cause a fire.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The only danger is dripping gas.

After doing a canisterectomy I connect both of these hoses together up there with a Y pipe and just drop one hose down to a safe place. The best place seems to be next to your rear brake master cyclinder with enough hose hanging down that any spills don't touch anything.

As it is now if your bike falls over when it is hot or running, or if you over fill your gas tank when hot....gasoline could drip on the engine and cause a fire.
Using a Y-pipe seems like a simple way to eliminate a hose - but if the end of the hose gets plugged (mud, wasp's nest, etc.) it would direct accumulated rain water under the filler cap straight into the tank. That would ruin your day and you might have the tank apart for filter change a couple of times before you figured it out.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Using a Y-pipe seems like a simple way to eliminate a hose - but if the end of the hose gets plugged (mud, wasp's nest, etc.) it would direct accumulated rain water under the filler cap straight into the tank. That would ruin your day and you might have the tank apart for filter change a couple of times before you figured it out.
yep. there's a lot of 'if's' in life
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote