User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,346
Gone Walkabout

Australians have a great term for a short period of wandering bush life engaged in by an Aborigine as an occasional interruption of regular work; they call it a walkbout. It seems to fit where Im at in life at the moment, which feels lost, without focus.

If this were feudal Japan someone in my position might have been called a ronin, or a Bushi carrying the shame of life with no master. That also seems to fit well.

Here in the U.S. we might simply label it mid-life crisis, and that term is dangerously close too. You see, Ive always had a focus in life, always been very driven and until recently that gave me purpose, pride and direction.
But slowly, that direction became more unclear. Alan Watts hits the nail on the head here:

Whatever you call it, Ive set out on a quest to find a new mission. The adventure here probably wont involve a lot of mud, water crossings or harrowing tales. (see here or even better here if youre looking for that sort of thing). I have no destination, no expected return date and no real plan. Its just another story of old fat guy on a GS (perfect, eh?) trying to figure out what he wants to do when he grows up.

Back in 2008, my wife and I decided to do things a little differently and did a little ride (here).

Exploring North America from Howling Mad on Vimeo.

Since then weve enjoyed time off with more travel, renovating a humble home and working fun, low stress jobs. Sounds perfect, right? It was, but Im not ready for retirement yet. Although I'm still struggling to separate my sense of self from my occupation, I have come to realize that I need a challenge. That's what leads me here. I need a job, but I keep getting sucked back into the same circles of technology and financial services. I liked what I did, but the learning curve leveled off and now I'd like to move on and learn new things. The problem seems to be exposure. I'm hoping that this little journey will help me figure out my next challenge and maybe even introduce me to someone with a problem that I can fix. More on this later.

Please consider a few things before going any further. Im a fairly private guy and so I may decide to pull the plug on this experiment at any time. Also, Ive invited family and friends to follow me here, so Id ask that you keep it kid friendly.

So, with many mixed emotions, lets go.

HowlingMad screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:05 PM
HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Videos to date

Here are the videos from the trip in order. Please note that I'm still spitting them out so check back for more.

Great Roads of the South

Cimarron Grasslands

This is my Church - Southeast Utah

Great Roads of Colorado

Engineer Pass - Colorado

Death Valley

Searching for Old Route 66

HowlingMad screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 03:32 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

First day - 535 miles

That may not be much for some of you, but for me and a bike shaped like a kids lunchbox, it was a long day. I wanted to make some time so I broke one of my trip rules; no interstates.

Afraid this was the highlight of my day; trail mix (that expired 2 years ago)

Rolled into a what was probably a great campsite at 9pm somewhere in Virginia. Other than lots of deer and suicidal bunny rabbits, I couldn't appreciate the campsite.

(currently in Elizabethton, TN headed west towards Knoxville.)

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Day 2, Slow it Down

Slept under the stars last night and woke to a heavy dew blanketing everything. Up at 5:30 but still way to dark and cold to travel, finally departed at 6:30. Sun won't be up for at least another 30 minutes.

Something really nice about being up before everyone else. I arrived at the start of the Skyline drive long before the gates open, but I figure those cones are just a suggestion, so on I go to enjoy the Skyline Drive all to myself.

What a great place to see the sun rise.

Stayed off the interstate today and enjoyed some local roads, I'm starting to enjoy the journey a bit. Yesterday it felt more like a silly, pointless quest based on selfishness and immaturity. I can live with the immature part.

After at least an hour searching for a campsite, I finally reached very nice woman from the National Recreation Area who pointed me to a great little campsite. I had the entire place to myself.

Finally had a chance to catch up on a few details last night. I like stopping while it's still daylight, I'll have to make this a goal.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
BillNighSciGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Puke Check that

Just checking in that reply/responses work (after having to register for an account, signing away 2 kids, and getting the glove treatment).

It is often said that the end of one journey is the start of the next. So then it stands to reason, the start of a journey is the end of a previous. Good luck finding the find.

- Hobbes
BillNighSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 731
Good on Ya Mate!

Well well, look my boy all growd up! Be safe, be smart, and enjoy the ride. The rest of the crazy world will be here when you get back.

Phone a friend tech support is on 24/7...............

Peace,
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

A bit behind in my updates, but anxious to cut up some of the footage of some really great roads down here. Not sure why RT 129 gets all the press, there are so many curvy roads to play on, most of which are empty.

Stumbled upon this well traveled bike yesterday but couldn't find the pilot.

Plates were from Alberta. Nice to see someone more lost than me.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oh, and thanks for the support amigos.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,398
Nice to meet you out in Nashville. Ride safe and hopefully you get a bit more clarity for your life out on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Great meeting you guys today. Good luck on your epic adventure and congratulations on your book!

If you see Sarah and David (? Sorry, been a long day), be sure to stop and invite them in. You'll get some really great stories and it will only cost you a pint or two.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Nice ride report John! Thanks for taking us along on your adventures and journey.

I knew that these two looked familiar. Very nice couple. I chatted with them for a bit while we both waited on our Corbin seats to get made at Corbin, in Holister, CA (Well, mine was being made and Sarah's was getting an adjustment). They are on quite the adventure of their own (or were about to be when I ran into them). It's incredible how small a world it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
Great meeting you guys today. Good luck on your epic adventure and congratulations on your book!

If you see Sarah and David (? Sorry, been a long day), be sure to stop and invite them in. You'll get some really great stories and it will only cost you a pint or two.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Thanks for following along

Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

I spent so long at McDonalds that they started bring me coffee at my table. I was there for over two hours getting caught up on email and writing down all this crap.

While I was there making blog posts I noticed several fire trucks and police cars and a dump truck in the middle of the intersection. A few minutes later an employee came out to the middle of McDonalds and announced that it had been exactly a week since 4 year old Joshua was hit by that truck and asked the patrons for moment of silence.

I can't ever remember watching a fast food restaurant cease all motion for a full minute. It was touching and a nice reminder that small town America still cares.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
And I think you will find that people here care too. Sounds like you're off to a great start. You don't have to have a reason to go on a walkabout, but I like yours. It hits home. Take care out there.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Thanks for the support, some days you really need it.