ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain
 
Edmond Dantès's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Château d'If
Oddometer: 589
Happy 60,000th KDX

Happy 60,000th KDX. I love you!





Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shocktower's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon City Orygun
Oddometer: 9,390
Nice
__________________
Alexa Drew Nov 9 1995- Oct 28th 2004 Miss you baby


'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain
 
Edmond Dantès's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Château d'If
Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower View Post
Nice
Cheers. I bought the bike used with 3,000k/m on the clock. I can't believe it is still going strong,I don't exactly mother it.

It was my main ride for many years: commuting, freeway work down to the coast in the summer, transporting a chick home the night after when I was lucky enough, etc, etc

All the bottom end is original. Threw an KiP into the barrel when I first got it and had to replace the top end. That was when it was jetted from the factory and way too rich for its own good.

Having a big 60,000th birthday celebration this weekend, and then it's more clouds of the old blue smoke heading towards 100,000!
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
All the bottom end is original. Threw an KiP into the barrel when I first got it and had to replace the top end. That was when it was jetted from the factory and way too rich for its own good.
Whoa. You're saying you put ~55,000 on a single top end? Wow. Nice work.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain
 
Edmond Dantès's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Château d'If
Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Whoa. You're saying you put ~55,000 on a single top end? Wow. Nice work.
My bad. I pulled the top end again at around 30,000, cleaned the exhaust valves, and put a new piston, rings, and small end bearing in place.
There's 30,000 on the current engine. As, you can see on the video, it's pulling fine and there's no excessive smoke, so I will leave it be for the time being even though I was planning a complete strip down at 60k.

The carbureter manifolds are prone to crack and leak, so I have been changing them quite often.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
There's 30,000 on the current engine.
Still, that's pretty impressive for a two stroke dirt bike.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain
 
Edmond Dantès's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Château d'If
Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Still, that's pretty impressive for a two stroke dirt bike.
Totally agree Airhead. I just hope I haven't jinxed the bike now!

In my opinion the 90's were a golden era for Japanese motorcycles. The Japanese economy was kicking all manner of ass during this period. (Bubble Era)
The bikes produced just for the domestic market, or limited export destinations were awesome; components straight off race bikes, best materials, top-notch build quality, especially when you think about what else were in the shops at that time.

The KDX250SR engine for example is basically the 1989 KX race bike with mods for street use: heavier fly wheel, wide ratio tranny with lower first and second, but tall fifth gear.

Not sure about the U.S and Australian markets, but a whole 'grey-import' business sprang up in the U.K. Bikes only made for the Japanese domestic markets being privately imported to the U.K: CRM250's mk1, mk2, mk3, AR. NSR250Rs, TZR250s, SDR250s, R1-Zs...

Then they went and stopped production of two-strokes...

Edmond Dantès screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 12:57 AM
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain
 
Edmond Dantès's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Château d'If
Oddometer: 589
Got an original seat from evil-bay for 10 bucks. Makes the bike look more like the '89 KX that it was based on.

Great weather here in October: One nice blue sky, two strokes, and a couple of three pointers.











Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie
 
BygDaddee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane Northside, OZ
Oddometer: 1,433
Nice work, I had the 89 DT200R from brand new here in Aus, great bike. My mates were laughing at me when I traded my TT600 on it, until we went riding and I kept up with them on the Forrest roads and left them in my dust when it turned single track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Totally agree Airhead. I just hope I haven't jinxed the bike now!

In my opinion the 90's were a golden era for Japanese motorcycles. The Japanese economy was kicking all manner of ass during this period. (Bubble Era)
The bikes produced just for the domestic market, or limited export destinations were awesome; components straight off race bikes, best materials, top-notch build quality, especially when you think about what else were in the shops at that time.

The KDX250SR engine for example is basically the 1989 KX race bike with mods for street use: heavier fly wheel, wide ratio tranny with lower first and second, but tall fifth gear.

Not sure about the U.S and Australian markets, but a whole 'grey-import' business sprang up in the U.K. Bikes only made for the Japanese domestic markets being privately imported to the U.K: CRM250's mk1, mk2, mk3, AR. NSR250Rs, TZR250s, SDR250s, R1-Zs...

Then they went and stopped production of two-strokes...
__________________
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
2013 WR450F(The best bike KTM never built) and BMW G650GS Sertao (The refined mans DR)
Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain
 
Edmond Dantès's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Château d'If
Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
Nice work, I had the 89 DT200R from brand new here in Aus, great bike. My mates were laughing at me when I traded my TT600 on it, until we went riding and I kept up with them on the Forrest roads and left them in my dust when it turned single track
The DT200R is a great bike. My mate had one in that lovely Yamaha IT blue.

The later 1990's DT200WR was a whole lot of fun as well.

Yamaha exported a load of DT230 Lanzas with the TCS (Traction Control System) Down Under. Did you ever ride one? Perfect farm bike.

http://www.cycletorque.com.au/yamaha.../#.UlicIlP92qg
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014