Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

Oddometer: 39
And these little piggies went wee wee wee all the way to Ft Lauderdale

2 - '95 R1100 GS
3 - people

Pittsburgh to Ft. Lauderdale - Traveled 610 miles Sunday 21st, 540 miles on Monday 22nd

Left early in the morning sunday, My friend, his wife and I are riding down to ft lauderdale for a training he had.
Going to take the long way home, up through the smokies. probably around 2500 miles round trip

Half way we also had a '86 K100 riding with us. Which ran out of gas, we found some road trash, cut the top of a gatorade bottle, pulled the fuel line off the injector and when the bike was turned on.. fuel came out.. got us by..
i packed tons of tools... but forgot some hose. lol

picked up my gs with 150k on it on june. put 3k on it riding to work.. i was glad the bike made it without any issues... so far. Ive had a bunch of 70's bikes been building a 79kz 650 cafe racer.. probably only put about 1k miles on a bike in my life.. so this is a huge trip for me.

600+ miles and this is the only thing i got.. but.. ripping through appalachia in a "convertible" when the leaves are in full change was pretty epic.

Beard screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 11:00 AM
Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
ImaSoftT
n00b

Oddometer: 2
600 miles...did you have to stop at Walgreens for Ibuprofen or Monkey Butt? Hope you get some more pics of those beautiful fall colors.
ImaSoftT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

i was doing some wiggling and adjusting the whole way.. but i dare not complain when the other bike was my buddy and his WIFE 2up.. she was a super trooper. we wanna do one of those iron butt 1000's one day.. but i cant comprehend how those winners of the IB do like 14,000 in 11 days or what ever.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

the trip plan

giving my buddys bike a wash in planning for changing the rear tire in the motel parking lot

changing of said tire

so changing the tire leads up to the ADV story.. we are done changing at 10pm.. its time to eat our 2nd meal of the day and we have a used tire to get rid of.. lets just leave it at a repair shop and slip $2 under the door.. We eat and find a shop..

Theres a worker sitting outside, its now 11:30.. we come to find out hes been there since 8:30 his ride didnt come.. Now this is guy is say 20.. about 6'4" and maybe 400 lbs? We try to no avail to call his ride, a taxi nothing.. my friend says..stay here ill drop off my wife and we will ride you the 15 miles home.. looks at me.. i nod ok.. we come back.. he jumps on the back of my buddys gs.. with a cheek on each pan, mybuddys front tire had to be super light.. this kid was the nicest guy u could ask for.. respectful, sir this sir that.. and i dont think hes ever been on a bike..

next think we are shooting down some FL backroads.. things turn to farm land.. FL has sticks? ok then.. then we turn on his "road" things progressive slow down.. both of us are getting squirelly all over the place.. i thought it was hard pack with some sand.. it gets worse and worse.. next thing i know.. things turn basically to beach.. going about 10mph i see my friend in front get real wild.. they slow down.. bike goes one way.. then the other and they tip over at about 5mph.. he gets up.. thanks us and says he will walk the next .5 mile.. we have to motorcross it back up the beach hill and then head back home..

man will he have a story to tell the guys at work tomorrow about the 2 idiots in hi viz on GSes at midnight.. i had a 24oz budwiser sitting on ice for the each of us in my motel sink.. dang they hit the spot!

Beard screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 08:48 PM
Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

thursday.
well the GS couldnt stop at 337miles gainesville.. so we end up going from lake city, fl to deals gap - tail of the dragon - 460 miles.. i knew i brought my contour helmet cam for some reason.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

two wheel inn at tail of the dragon, deals gap, nc.. finally a proper garage for the GS free with room.. and yes i have a garage door opener in my room.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

well slight change of plans..
got on the bike at 9am. got off at 9pm. the dragon has been slayed, the blue ridge highway has been owned, and i think ive been on every back road in eastern TN.

at the end of tail of the dragon.. i have gigs of hd video ill have to sort through and post.

road we are going to

mount stashmore

the GS crew

got up over 6000 ft. wish i knew the verticle feet we traveled today.. seemed like the ear were popping every 30 mins.

game... find the road. (hint: left center)

the smokies

1 of the millions of tunnels we went through

its a melted glacier i tell you on the "blue ridge highway"

Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

im in johnson city, tn.. got 408 miles 7 hours riding tomorrow to get her home and make out with my wife.

and thanks to her for letting me go out on some adventure.. while she stayed home sick with 3 kids.

Just one more night
And I'm comin' off this
Long and winding road
Home Sweet Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DasvuHUgUHg
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
whitey818
knob

Oddometer: 3
Very nice, its funny, this caught my eye as I am intending to ride to Burgettstown, PA in the spring from Florida, infact Lake City. Was quite surprised to see the carwash I pass everyday, behind the mall on the way to work, on ADV.
whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Beard OP
Pro Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey818 View Post
Very nice, its funny, this caught my eye as I am intending to ride to Burgettstown, PA in the spring from Florida, infact Lake City. Was quite surprised to see the carwash I pass everyday, behind the mall on the way to work, on ADV.
the big guy we rode home, worked at tire kingdom.