User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Zanotti OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Forward Controls vs Feet Under You

I recently rode a Harley Softail Slim ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839630 ) and really liked the overall bike.

The big change for me was using forward controls vs having my feet under me. I have ridden standard bikes for 30 years and wonder how long it would take to get used to forward controls.

Does anyone regularly switch betweeen these two types of controls and get used to it quickly?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Ow,ow, getting a cramp in my leg.
Better stand up,woops Forward controls....drat! :)
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
I will never own another feet forward bike.

With the Slim your biggest concern should be that the bike only has 24 degrees of lean available and a SOFT suspension so you now need to pay attention to the corner speed signs.

Edit: This does not mean the FLS is a bad bike... but it does take more discipline to ride well.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 09:35 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
Does anyone regularly switch betweeen these two types of controls and get used to it quickly?
To actually answer your question:
I don't get used to it quickly. It's a muscle memory thing for me. I need almost a week to get used to a feet forward bike because a lot of my learned responses to traffic situations involve peg use. Same for regular riding skills involving curves.

I'd have to have a feet forward bike and nothing else, or not have one at all. I don't care for them at all.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 987
I switch between the bikes in my sig all the time with no issues. The Eliminator has the most forward pegs, the Guzzi slightly less so. I do tend to use the passenger pegs in longer sections of highway though.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,874
Switching back and forth several times a week between a Wide glide with forward extensions no less (long legs) and a Ducati E900 was mentally ratteling. The FXDXT I recently parted with had the pegs in a comfy place (mid glide)for riding, but when it came to the stop light the pegs were just in the way, not far enough up or back to keep from trippin on them when you put your foot down, never did get used to that really.
After years of switchin bikes up the GS'es, Tiger's, KTM 950 and E900 soon felt like they had rear sets and forward control bikes like I was sittin on the ground. At any rate the forward control bikes sit you on your ass cheeks, the trallies on your taint.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,337
You might miss the pegs a couple of times in the first few week, but once you get used to knowing where they are you switch between bikes very easily, unless you dont ride one for ages.

Once going it is the same difference as riding two different feet underneath bikes.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Homo sapiens, out on the steppes and in the mountains, didn't have foot-forward controls on their wild horses.

Our ancestors didn't hunt mammoths sitting back on their asses.

We were hunched, ready, willing ourselves into battle.

What was the question again?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Homo sapiens, out on the steppes and in the mountains, didn't have foot-forward controls on their wild horses.

Our ancestors didn't hunt mammoths sitting back on their asses.

We were hunched, ready, willing ourselves into battle.

What was the question again?
Ahhh...but they sat back on their asses after they got done whopin some
Old 11-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
Feet forward puts ALL YOUR WEIGHT on your ass, totures your lumbar region. Pegs under you helps support your weight with you big leg muscles. Forward controls are a hold over from the Easy Rider days... a fad the MoCo and others are trying to keep alive. For a cruiser, the holy grail is the "kitchen chair", knees at 90 degrees. Highway pegs are usefull for stretching the knees occasionally. (NOT for continual use on city streets where the brake is 1.5 seconds away)

This is me, 34 years ago, it hurts just to look at the picture now. I will NEVER, EVER ride a bike with forward controls again.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post

This is me, 34 years ago, it hurts just to look at the picture now. I will NEVER, EVER ride a bike with forward controls again.

Classic pic!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Can't stand feet forward personally.
Did ACS Civilian Moto Course and rented one of their KZ1000P's and it was almost a deal breaker for me. I couldn't stand the floorboards. Foot and arm was cramped as well by the end of the 8 hours with those high angled toward me bars. I was so glad to get back on the Multistrada. But the nice thing was doing all those drills on a 600lb, super wide, super long wheel base bike then getting on my Multistrada made everything feel so easy!
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
You do get used to it and the more you trade back and forth, the faster that happens. I commute on a GSXR and then spend the weekend and long trips on a Kawsaki VN1700 Voyager.

The Voyager has more of a feet mid-forward, rather than a full forward, but it does change the way you ride. It's funny the poster above talked about a KZ1000P. That's the first feet forward bike I ever rode and while it felt really odd at first, I adapted and reached a point where I could easily scrape boards at both low and high speeds. It is amazing at parking lot speeds.

The Voyager is a big, heavy tourer, but is easy to handle at moderate speeds and drags boards staying ahead of the typical cruisers but falls behind when chasing the sport bikes.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
When I started riding Harley touring bikes, I couldn't stand the foot positioning. And they're much less "foot forward" than the Slim. I'd spent my life riding standard/sport/dirtbike position. I felt unnnatural, and I kept missing shifts.

That said, after a few weeks, the position grew on me. I have highway pegs on my Road glide...and that's waaaay foot forward, and I put my feet up there almost immediately when I go for a ride. I only put my feet on the floorboards to shift...or use my back brake.

Except for: Rough roads, or dirt,, and when I really want to move thorugh the corners. Then I revert back to feet right under me, moving all around the seat and, ahem, trying to get my knee out there (silly, yes, on a Road Glide).

But for most riding, the foot forward position is kinda a gas. It helps immensely to have a back rest. Then you can push against it while riding and give your butt a rest.

Is it natural? I dunno. It's a lot like driving a car. Not like riding a horse. Not at all like making babies with the missus.

One last thing: the heel toe shifter bugged me, until I broke my toe during a trip. I couldn't hardly touch the shifter with out toe pain...but smacking on the heel shifter: Genius!

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #15
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 744
If you want the Slim, buy it. You won't KNOW until you own one and ride one. I had 5 bikes with forwards-never again. That was then....................
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote