ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 630
Another Natl Monument in Utah !!

They're at it again! This time all the land surrounding Canyonlands is being requested that it be turned into a National Monument.

https://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2...pushed-in-utah

Note that they blame US for part of why this needs to be done:

"...exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude."

http://www.delalbright.com/Access/Ca...s%20letter.pdf

Is this how we want things to be done? With no public input? Just a letter to the President? What will be next...the Swell? Did you notice the names of the 113 outdoor retailers behind this push. Check the list at the bottom of this letter!

Word has it that Aaron Ralston has teamed up with SUWA too. Nice huh? Lets see...he drove his truck to the damn trailhead and was going to ride his mtn bike back to it. He musta hit his head too in his fall.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Is this how we want things to be done? With no public input? Just a letter to the President? What will be next...the Swell? Did you notice the names of the 113 outdoor retailers behind this push. Check the list at the bottom of this letter!

Word has it that Aaron Ralston has teamed up with SUWA too. Nice huh? Lets see...he drove his truck to the damn trailhead and was going to ride his mtn bike back to it. He musta hit his head too in his fall.

He's a dickwad IMHO.

And it makes me want to seriously boycott the hypocrite business that lent their names to this. They make a boat load of money off of people like us riding and mountian biking and camping on the very land they hope to "protect" form people like us.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
He's a dickwad IMHO.

And it makes me want to seriously boycott the hypocrite business that lent their names to this. They make a boat load of money off of people like us riding and mountian biking and camping on the very land they hope to "protect" form people like us.
100% right! Unfortunately I already have gear from many of the companies. One company that is not on the list is REI. Perhaps they've changed their policies?

Anyway, unless you want retailers determining the status of our public lands, suggest as many of us as possible use the letter writing link, write our own letter or make a phone call as Blue Ribbon suggests (see their Important Follow-up).

In case you don't have time to find it, here is the link that will generate a letter to president obama. Takes all of 20 seconds.
https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site...s64a52.app331a

dmac1 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 07:25 PM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,525
Quote:
In case you don't have time to find it, here is the link that will generate a letter to president obama. Takes all of 20 seconds.
Done!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrailboss View Post
done!
+1

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,012
Quote:
Done.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,206
Done..... and I'm contacting a few of the companies listed that I used to buy from.

You have to do that guys. These companies only understand dollars.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
dmac1 OP
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Done..... and I'm contacting a few of the companies listed that I used to buy from.

You have to do that guys. These companies only understand dollars.
'

I concur that this is a good tact and glad to see others are doing it too. I've read where at least a couple of the companies have responded that they did not give permission to have their names on the letter! I hope it turns into an internal battle amongst the retailers!

I smell SUWA (and Black Diamond) as the culprits behind this. If they succeed, you can bet they'll try it again.

Edit - the more letters we send, the louder our voice gets!!!

dmac1 screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 11:16 AM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,799
Done, we need to spread the word on this---

burque magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
I am strongly opposed to any more limitations on places we can ride. I have done a few rides in areas adjacent to Canyonlands the last few years especially the area west of Blanding. This is a fantastic area to ride. It would be tragic to see any more limitations placed on it.

I would like to have more knowledge. I could not find a map of the proposed new proposed national monument in any of the links cited by the OP. Anyone have a link to a map?
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I am strongly opposed to any more limitations on places we can ride. I have done a few rides in areas adjacent to Canyonlands the last few years especially the area west of Blanding. This is a fantastic area to ride. It would be tragic to see any more limitations placed on it.

I would like to have more knowledge. I could not find a map of the proposed new proposed national monument in any of the links cited by the OP. Anyone have a link to a map?
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55...lands.html.csp
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,209
Signed it and spread it across a few FB motorcycle-related pages (Touratech's page being #1)
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,543
Sending a letter to the Pres and the retailers is good, but I think it might be helpful to get former Utah governor (and GOP presidental candidate) Jon Huntsman, Jr. to talk to Obama. Huntsman is an offroad moto rider and I am sure he rides in this area.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Sending a letter to the Pres and the retailers is good, but I think it might be helpful to get former Utah governor (and GOP presidental candidate) Jon Huntsman, Jr. to talk to Obama. Huntsman is an offroad moto rider and I am sure he rides in this area.
Out of all of those guys, Huntsman was the most sane (must be the fact he's a moto rider).

But, the idea of an ADV letter to all the companies on that list that we can all sign is also a very good idea. Sure beats emailing all of them manually. If we have an attorney present, maybe we can get you to draft a letter. I'm a software developer and can probably crank out a webpage to collect "signatures" and then automate the sending process. After a decent number of sigs have been collected, we could shoot it off to Huntsman AND all the companies.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Out of all of those guys, Huntsman was the most sane (must be the fact he's a moto rider).

But, the idea of an ADV letter to all the companies on that list that we can all sign is also a very good idea. Sure beats emailing all of them manually. If we have an attorney present, maybe we can get you to draft a letter. I'm a software developer and can probably crank out a webpage to collect "signatures" and then automate the sending process. After a decent number of sigs have been collected, we could shoot it off to Huntsman AND all the companies.
I am guessing that the quickest way to short circuit this travesty by the anti vehicle group would be to get Huntsman to speak clearly and eloquently (which he does) to Obama to not sign the action. We cycle riders are definitely in the minority and it will take some extra weight to make sure this lockup doesn't happen. Hey I'll bet Jon could even get Obama down for a couple of dirt bike lessons. Obama is a guy who does like fun and he is more centrist than most people give him credit for.