User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
MNrider OP
Local tall guy.

Oddometer: 28
650 V-Strom cruising speed

Hello - I'm considering going to something lighter than a 95 R100RT BMW. I see that a lot of the Iron Butt Association riders ride a 650 V-Strom. My question is - is that bike happy cruising at 75-80 MPH all day?

Thanks -
MNrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNrider View Post
Hello - I'm considering going to something lighter than a 95 R100RT BMW. I see that a lot of the Iron Butt Association riders ride a 650 V-Strom. My question is - is that bike happy cruising at 75-80 MPH all day?

Thanks -
Yes.

I think the sweet spot with my big ass bags is 80 indicated which might put it closer to 72 actual, but it'll be happy at 90 indicated too.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNrider View Post
is that bike happy cruising at 75-80 MPH all day? -
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.
really? there's no power difference between a thumper650 and a harley650 and a 2cyl or 4cyl 650?

On the DL650, anything above an indicated 90mph becomes kinda difficult. There isn't a lot of power left. MPG goes down significantly as speed increases (over 55mph) too. The 'strom is an aerodynamic wreck.

Cases make it a lot worse. A passenger is slightly worse.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
really? there's no power difference between a thumper650 and a harley650 and a 2cyl or 4cyl 650?
No difference, they are still all girls bikes. Everybody knows that real men ride a 990 at the very least, if not a 1200...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
No difference, they are still all girls bikes. Everybody knows that real men ride a 990 at the very least, if not a 1200...

Gustavo
Have fun with that, particularly when you need to find specialized engine oil out in the bush. Thankfully, I sense you're not being serious. The proper phrasing is "little girl's bikes."

Did I mention that the DL650 will run quite happily on the cheapest slop you can squeeze out of the pumps? Mine ran quite smoothly on 87, the lowest grade here. I never tested it at high altitude, but plenty have.

I know, real men have racing fuel dropped in by helicopter while adventure riding. No self-respecting rider would be seen on anything that ran common fuel.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Have fun with that, particularly when you need to find specialized engine oil out in the bush. Thankfully, I sense you're not being serious. The proper phrasing is "little girl's bikes."
He's serious. It's a girl bike.

It doesn't need high-octane because it makes cute little amounts of horsey power.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Nightstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Will it do it as smooth and quiet as a big bike? No. Will it do it without any problems or hiccups? Yes. Peg extenders, bar risers, a good seat, and a good windscreen (preferably with a madstad), and this thing is a very comfy tourer. Aside from the seat, everything else is cheap to purchase, and they are insane reliable.
Nightstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
The Wee has one of the best engines and silkiest transmissions I've ever ridden on. Correctly set up, (do the seat and windscreen, twiddle the suspension, and you may want bar risers) 80 mph for days or weeks is no problem. Six gears make all the difference.

Yes, a 650 is a 650 is a 650. What a wonderful thing that is! It's an excellent motor in a very capable bike. Given the comfort and frugal fuel use, you'll be in the saddle when others are at the pumps or rubbing the circulation back into their butts. (Or ending their trip 'cause they have to get back to make a payment on a bike costing twice as much.)
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
The Wee has one of the best engines and silkiest transmissions I've ever ridden on. Correctly set up, (do the seat and windscreen, twiddle the suspension, and you may want bar risers) 80 mph for days or weeks is no problem. Six gears make all the difference.

Yes, a 650 is a 650 is a 650. What a wonderful thing that is! It's an excellent motor in a very capable bike. Given the comfort and frugal fuel use, you'll be in the saddle when others are at the pumps or rubbing the circulation back into their butts. (Or ending their trip 'cause they have to get back to make a payment on a bike costing twice as much.)
Good point about costing twice as much... and funny I just thought about exactly the same thing, when I read the big German Motorrad-magazine. there was a big ´King of the Alps´ comparo, with +20 bikes in different categories... and strange as it might seem, they had the 650 Wee pitted against Honda Crosstourer, Tiger Explorer and Guzzi Stelvio. Fair enough the Tiger won that group, but the journos clearly liked the Wee, even when comparing it straight up against three 1200cc bikes – that all cost nearly or just about double the money! (And actually the older Wee-Strom version has won that very same test twice in the past.)

Pecha72 screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 08:13 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
From ding to dong, day in and day out. It'll leave extra gas money in your pocket and major repairs are damn near non-existent. Plus, they are cheap to acquire. Wish I could of found a women like that.
Nookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Yes, even more so with a 16t front sprocket.

I would cruise 90-95 solo with luggage when the traffic permitted.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Like PachmanP I find myself running at 80 MPH indicated, exactly 6000 rpm. I think that's about 74 by my GPS. Both motor and wind seem right at that speed. I have the stock windshield plus a Laminar Lip. Faster is no problem, but I do notice a difference.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Ozarkcowboy
Mishap Master

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenflo76 View Post
Yes, even more so with a 16t front sprocket.

I would cruise 90-95 solo with luggage when the traffic permitted.
^^^THIS^^^

I'm running a 17t sprocket,after a 16t for 10k miles. Think the wee should have come with the 16t out of the factory. Although,if I were planning a long trip with slabbing in mind the 17t is fantastic if you wanted to cruise at indicated 90mph,really drops the rpm.Sure, I do feel a loss in the low end but man can you hook-it down the highway.Will be going back to the 16t whenever I need next chain,but as easy as they are to swap I'll hang on to the 17t.
Ozarkcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 618
Keep an Eye on the Oil Level

My 2009 wee will use a bit of oil when I hammer it (80 mph plus) in hot weather. If I keep it below 6000 rpm it uses no oil. Other wee owners report the same. If you ride hard, check the oil level every gas stop. I run Mobil 1 15w-50 in the pig BTW. YMMV.
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote