User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
MonsterJ OP
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
2012 vs 2013 F800GS

So I'm selling my 2009 F800GS.... and I want to buy a new one. I've put a small fortune in farkles on it and I'll transfer them to the new one. I was thinking about getting a 2012 leftover so I wouldn't have to worry about all the parts fitting but, then I started thinking.... What's *really* different about the 2013s? It's just a new beak and radiator shrouds, right? My Adventure Spec crash bars, Adventure Spec skid plate, and Happy Trail luggage racks should still fit, right?

What do you guys think? Play it safe with a 2012 or go for the updated 2013? I'm looking to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
Search you tube. TT already has a video out there.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Get the 2013, all your farkles should move over plus now you can get ESA plus Ohlins is coming out with a fork upgrade come spring that should make it pretty sweet
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Yes all your bits will fit on the new one. The only thing I can think of off hand is that the rad, or maybe the plastic around the rad? (and therefore cover) changed if you had one. Oh and if you had a rear reservoir protector that and the rectifier protector won't be needed either.
So it's lighter already

The ESA and the potential with the new fork seem to be the only significant changes.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,046
What happened to the 2009? Or would you prefer not to say?

They're much the same bike four years later.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
MonsterJ OP
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
What happened to the 2009? Or would you prefer not to say?

They're much the same bike four years later.

Fred
Fred, nothing was wrong with my '09. It has 65K miles on it and I had a buyer who would pay what I wanted for it.

I added a 2013 in alpine white to my stable today. I'm finding out that not *everything* transfers over. The one thing that I knew wouldn't was the light bar that has my Clearwater Kristas mounted to it. The beaks are completely different. I can't seem to find anyone who has a light bar for the 2013s yet. The other thing that isn't a ready fit from my '09 to the '13 is my Highway Dirtbikes hand guards. The bar ends are completely different on the '13. It looks like there's an insert that necks down the threads in the bars from a M10 to a M8. I'll try to crack that nut tomorrow. So far, the Happy Trail racks, Adventure Spec luggage plate, skid plate, and crash bars are fine. The Touratech headlight guard and Remus Hexacone fit, too. I still have to swap over the bar risers. I'll post up a pic once I get everything swapped over.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Yes all your bits will fit on the new one. The only thing I can think of off hand is that the rad, or maybe the plastic around the rad? (and therefore cover) changed if you had one. Oh and if you had a rear reservoir protector that and the rectifier protector won't be needed either.
So it's lighter already

The ESA and the potential with the new fork seem to be the only significant changes.

Dave
Surprising how many things are changed if you look closer. All the plastic on the front is different. So you can't really put the TT tank on it, unless TT updates the setup.

Not sure why the new TT skid plate only works on 2013 models

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265

It's a great bike...the frame is the same on the '13 but hand guards, aux light mounts etc are different. The signals have been relocated up versus down on the new model too. Some 3rd party shields don't fit like Cee Bailey...we transferred our Jesse luggage onto the new bikes...saved us a lot of $$...ENJOY you white...Cheryl has the white one I call FLUFF...I got this one...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post

It's a great bike...the frame is the same on the '13 but hand guards, aux light mounts etc are different. The signals have been relocated up versus down on the new model too. Some 3rd party shields don't fit like Cee Bailey...we transferred our Jesse luggage onto the new bikes...saved us a lot of $$...ENJOY you white...Cheryl has the white one I call FLUFF...I got this one...
It actually has aux light mounts. This is the first year a factory aux light is available from BMW for the 800gs. Not sure if cab be retrofitted.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB43 View Post
It actually has aux light mounts. This is the first year a factory aux light is available from BMW for the 800gs. Not sure if cab be retrofitted.
Interesting. I went looking and found these:

From ascycles. They don't look like they mount to the forks (and if they did, would be problematic with steering).

Of course the whole kit is rather pricy: $159 x 2 + $159 + $90 (or $567).
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Bar ends are definitely different, but Paul at HDB was able to mic some up for me that fit.

I also tried these: http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...s-wm100-p-1536 but the turn signals are also different and they don't fit the rears (a bit too tall), but can be fixed w/ a dremel I suppose.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
soph9
Bike Addict

the signals are up high and even Twisted Throttle is recommending on waiting for a new mount location....we can wait until something more specific comes out
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Btw

over in the Vendors forum, a vendor is looking for 2013 loaner:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844085

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
soph9
Bike Addict

Cee Bailey should have had a bike sooner than this...I am bummed they still don''t have a bike to reshape the shield.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
soph9
Bike Addict

interesting location I wonder if the mount would work for the Denali lights? You have a link>?