ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
oldogge OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Chattanooga, Flyin' or Ridn'
Oddometer: 16
cabin ideas

I am lookin for ideas for a cabin and this looks like the place to post. I have done some initial research into prebuilt kits, logs, conexes, etc (transportable to site...at least to the site's edge via secondary roads, east TN.) but nothing stands out. Something smaller, nothing fancy, $10-20K.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Oldogge
oldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
TrailRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TrailRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: North Central Ma.
Oddometer: 234
Stay away from pine log cabins,as they rot and bugs love them. Cedar or hemlock is a better choice. I have a pine log cabin and have had to replace all the corners over a 35yr. period. Then I enlarged the camp from 400sqr.ft. to 1200 sqr.ft. using all hemlock. Good luck.
TrailRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRider View Post
Stay away from pine log cabins,as they rot and bugs love them. Cedar or hemlock is a better choice. I have a pine log cabin and have had to replace all the corners over a 35yr. period. Then I enlarged the camp from 400sqr.ft. to 1200 sqr.ft. using all hemlock. Good luck.
Not true, many pine log cabins in the Apalachians are 250 years old. The log design affects splitting, and how the walls shed water.

Forget a kit, and round logs on the east coast, go with flat side logs (8x12), heart cut, 3.5 inch spacing, w/dovetail joined corners. A local lumber yard can usually cutfairly cheap, and any good timber framer can dovetail and assemble.
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Dave
Huh?
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: 12 mile circle
Oddometer: 2,739
Call these guys: http://www.mysheds.net/

They're an Amish outfit in SE PA. They prefab buildings and have shipped as far away as Colorado. I got a 2 car, 20x24 garage with 400 square feet upstairs for ~$16,000. Granted, that's just the structure, with delivery and installation. I had them leave off the siding, because I didn't like the look.
I finished it myself with Hardi Shingle siding, and Azek trim board. I had another crew do the foundation, roofing, and drywall. I did the electrical, and also installed the windows and garage doors.



If you cut out all the 'extras' I threw in: poured foundation, extra thick concrete pad (insulated w/ radiant tubing), standing seam metal roof, big gutters, Hardi siding, Azek trim, spray foam insulation, double glazed, low-e windows, man doors on either side, triple layer insulated garage doors (even if they are from Costco) You could cut the total cost down to ~$40k.

I did a lot of extras because I'm getting to the Idontwanttohavetofuckwithitforalongtime stage.

Granted, this is a garage, not a cabin, but fill in the garage doors, and go with windows, and it could easily be a really nice small house.

But, the company I bought from, Stoltzfus, also does cabins. They aren't on the website, but you could probably get a 2BR, 1BA prefab with a kitchen for about $30k.

If you call, ask for Jonathan. Nice guy. Even though he's Amish, he does phones, and e-mail. Only down sides are having to understand the thick Amish accent, and the fact that he likes to call you back early in the AM. Really effing early.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Call these guys: http://www.mysheds.net/

They're an Amish outfit in SE PA. They prefab buildings and have shipped as far away as Colorado. I got a 2 car, 20x24 garage with 400 square feet upstairs for ~$16,000. Granted, that's just the structure, with delivery and installation. I had them leave off the siding, because I didn't like the look.
I finished it myself with Hardi Shingle siding, and Azek trim board. I had another crew do the foundation, roofing, and drywall. I did the electrical, and also installed the windows and garage doors.



If you cut out all the 'extras' I threw in: poured foundation, extra thick concrete pad (insulated w/ radiant tubing), standing seam metal roof, big gutters, Hardi siding, Azek trim, spray foam insulation, double glazed, low-e windows, man doors on either side, triple layer insulated garage doors (even if they are from Costco) You could cut the total cost down to ~$40k.

I did a lot of extras because I'm getting to the Idontwanttohavetofuckwithitforalongtime stage.

Granted, this is a garage, not a cabin, but fill in the garage doors, and go with windows, and it could easily be a really nice small house.

But, the company I bought from, Stoltzfus, also does cabins. They aren't on the website, but you could probably get a 2BR, 1BA prefab with a kitchen for about $30k.

If you call, ask for Jonathan. Nice guy. Even though he's Amish, he does phones, and e-mail. Only down sides are having to understand the thick Amish accent, and the fact that he likes to call you back early in the AM. Really effing early.
Dude!! I went to school with part of the Stolzfus clan!! But, they are a HUGE freaking family.

That's all. Not everyday you see their name..

Carry on..
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Not true, many pine log cabins in the Apalachians are 250 years old. The log design affects splitting, and how the walls shed water.
It's also worth mentioning that the pine of 250 years ago (or even 100 years ago) was VERY different from what you'll get today. Long leaf (probably heart) pine is a far superior wood to today's fast-growing yellow pine.

I've seen log homes out of Florida made out of cypress; I'd think that'd hold up well.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer
 
Going_Commando's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Not true, many pine log cabins in the Apalachians are 250 years old. The log design affects splitting, and how the walls shed water.

Forget a kit, and round logs on the east coast, go with flat side logs (8x12), heart cut, 3.5 inch spacing, w/dovetail joined corners. A local lumber yard can usually cutfairly cheap, and any good timber framer can dovetail and assemble.
Plus, flat side logs look sooo much better.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hwy61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 414
Might get an idea here...

http://freecabinporn.com/
__________________
"Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence." Chinese proverb
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
JamesG
Rabid Poster
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
Might get an idea here...

http://freecabinporn.com/

Oh you bastard! The last time someone posted that link I lost about 6 hours.

This one is screaming for a deck and replacing that corrugated metal with triple pane full length windows.

__________________
I am a conservative, not a Republican. There is a difference.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Jamie
.
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Shelby, NC
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
Might get an idea here...

http://freecabinporn.com/
That's it. I'm done for the evening.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
That's it. I'm done for the evening.
Damn. Me too. I had work I had planned to get done tonight too...
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids
IBA # 56419

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Cumminsman76
befuddled
 
Cumminsman76's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Where the bikes parked. STL
Oddometer: 8,455
I took a class here and he sells the frames the students make.

http://www.grandoakstimberframing.com/workshops.html
__________________
STURGIS ride report.
2009 R1200 Gelände/Straße Abenteuer
A GS is like chlamydia, it grows on you whether you want it to or not. WhiteManFlail

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer
 
ktrout01's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Bristol, CT - Home of ESPN and not much else
Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
Might get an idea here...

http://freecabinporn.com/
Thank you for the link. I forwarded it to my wife and now she's oooooing and aaaahhhing over all the pretty cabins. I'll get my vacation house yet !
__________________
I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
TeneRay
2>4
 
TeneRay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 1,597
Google "microhomes".

Cabins build on a trailer frame. Transportable, fanciest designs range up to $25k, and all the amenities to sustain.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,256
http://fabcab.com/
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014