Old 10-23-2002, 08:51 AM   #1
trinculo OP
Dude

Oddometer: 127
Laugh Mid Life very short ride

What can I say . . . .

http://www.nandotimes.com/weird/stor...-4394262c.html

The Associated Press

SAGINAW, Mich. (October 1, 2002 9:25 a.m. EDT) - Baby boomer Jim Zimmerman's brief fling as a tough biker ended in pain very quickly.
The retiree's misadventure began when, facing 60, he gave into a youthful yen and got a local dealership to deliver a brand-new Harley-Davidson to his door.
"It was a mid-age crisis thing," Zimmerman admitted last week. "I'd see these dudes with women and thought a motorcycle would put me in like Flynn.
"I didn't look at the obvious, that I hadn't been on a bike in 30 years and probably didn't remember much about it."
Ten seconds after he climbed aboard for the first time, he struck a neighbor's utility trailer at 40 mph and broke several ribs. The odometer logged a tenth of a mile.
"It was so fast, and I didn't think fast enough," he said. "I probably panicked and throttled the gas in a death grip.
"Oh my god, I hurt in places I didn't know could hurt. The cops said it's a miracle I'm alive."
After $2,000 in insured repairs on the bike - and more on the neighbor's trailer - Zimmerman sold his Harley for an $800 loss. But the experience isn't quite over. Until his complimentary membership in the Harley Owners Group runs out, "I get a mailing every two to three weeks, reminding me of how stupid I was," he said.
trinculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:23 AM   #2
BoxerBoy
Saupreisser Schweinhund

Oddometer: 2,132
Sounds like my wife's first motorized two wheel experience... No, she CANNOT borrow my GS!