User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Oddometer: 173
New guy here!!

Greetings! I will confess I have been lurking on here for some time now. In Parallel Universe and Orange Crush. I am in the market for another motorbike in the next few months. I have been glued to the interweb for the past month every night reading, researching, watching videos and immersing myself into this decision. For some strange reason, my wife has given me the nod to buy another bike! The plan was to sell the KLR, but after talking with her we are going to keep it so she can ride in the spring.

I rode sport bikes my whole life and three years ago I sold my last one and decided to hang up the leathers. Being an avid outdoorsman and motorcycle enthusiast I put two and two together and figured Adventure Touring was right up my alley. I didn't do any research, I just threw a leg over my buddies 08 KLR650 went for a quick ride, went to the dealer the week later and picked up an 09 for myself. A few thousand dollars later I was ready for adventure.

I used the bike to its limits, dirt roads, fire roads, ATV trails, highways etc. Something was lacking though. I kept it subdued for the past three years but could no longer kid myself. The bike was lacking in many areas. I do love the KLR for what it is. It has taught me a lot about off road riding and back woods maintenance. Problem is, the bike is just....well.....its bloody boring. It does everything you ask of it, nothing less and nothing more.

I started researching the F800GS, then I went to the new KTM 1190, then it was the triumph tiger 800xc, then the KTM 990 Adventure, now its back to the F800GS, The background on my laptop has changed about 5 times lol.

I almost bought a KTM 990 adventure. I was hesitant because of the massive price tag. That was the only thing I could find wrong with it. Just so expensive.

My question would be to any former KLR650 riders that have put some miles down on the Kawi and are now on an F800GS. How does it feel? I've read about some vibrations on the GS at highway speeds.

I need to get this next bike right. I need it to be the 10+year motorcycle. I have buyers remorse from the KLR, don't get me a wrong its an outstanding bike, just not for me.

I want something with more power, can cruise at 130-140kph smoothly (My KLR feels like its going to buzz apart at that speed) and I can throw it around the back roads, dirt roads, and trails. As well pack up and crush a long trip.

I don't buy into all the BS hype about reliability issues or any of the drama.

Just want an honest opinion that the 800GS will be night and day from the KLR650 and no other former KLR guys have regrets getting the 800GS.

Long first post I know!!! For anyone who reads all of this and is kind enough to reply thanks in advance.

Regards, Paul.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 705
No advice, but I did read it.
Ah~ the elusive search for the perfect bike.
Best of luck
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
KLR to F800GS

Well I bought a KLR twice and fell out of love both times.
I also owned an 1150GS for quite a while. I've had my 800 for four seasons. I've used it as a dual sport for three of them. It is heavy and can be a handful at times. But I still love it. Cruises well on the highway. Lots of power for climbing those long dirt hills. Heavy, did I mention that? I have a hard time on the 650s they feel cramped and low on power. Love riding them on the technical stuff though. I might get a second dual sport but it will be a 250 since I find the gap between the 650s and the 800 isn't wide enough to justify owning both. You can watch some of the videos in my sig line to see how I like to use my 800.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Well I bought a KLR twice and fell out of love both times.
I also owned an 1150GS for quite a while. I've had my 800 for four seasons. I've used it as a dual sport for three of them. It is heavy and can be a handful at times. But I still love it. Cruises well on the highway. Lots of power for climbing those long dirt hills. Heavy, did I mention that? I have a hard time on the 650s they feel cramped and low on power. Love riding them on the technical stuff though. I might get a second dual sport but it will be a 250 since I find the gap between the 650s and the 800 isn't wide enough to justify owning both. You can watch some of the videos in my sig line to see how I like to use my 800.
Same here; torn between TE250/310 Husky or KTM Freeride. I have very little interest in owning a 500+ whilst I have my F8 as there's not enough of a difference what I can get them along.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,380
I can say that I love the F800GS.
Totally different than the KLR, but I love KLaRissa too.
I will not get rid of her and I still ride her often. More so on the dirt and sand trails in NJ.
Only because I want to keep the 800 as clean as possible.
But I also take the KLR on moto-camping trips.
The KLR actually has more pep now that I re-jetted the carb, so I don't feel like she's lacking.
I've done other mods on the KLR as well to make her better. Mainly suspension.
Now the 800 has a lot of HP and you will love it compared to the KLR.
As for vibes, there are some. But very slight and they shouldn't bother you at all.
The KLR has a lot of vibes, but they seemed to quiet done with the re-jetting. Still a lot though.
If you can take a test ride of the 800 at a BMW dealer, go for it.
I went to BMW of Manhattan in NY and test rode it. I liked it and took it home that night.
If you have any other questions about my having both the KLR and F800, ask them here and I'll answer.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I can say that I love the F800GS.
Totally different than the KLR, but I love KLaRissa too.
I will not get rid of her and I still ride her often. More so on the dirt and sand trails in NJ.
Only because I want to keep the 800 as clean as possible.
But I also take the KLR on moto-camping trips.
The KLR actually has more pep now that I re-jetted the carb, so I don't feel like she's lacking.
I've done other mods on the KLR as well to make her better. Mainly suspension.
Now the 800 has a lot of HP and you will love it compared to the KLR.
As for vibes, there are some. But very slight and they shouldn't bother you at all.
The KLR has a lot of vibes, but they seemed to quiet done with the re-jetting. Still a lot though.
If you can take a test ride of the 800 at a BMW dealer, go for it.
I went to BMW of Manhattan in NY and test rode it. I liked it and took it home that night.
If you have any other questions about my having both the KLR and F800, ask them here and I'll answer.
Great info thanks, this is keeping me away from one of those gawd ugly KTM's!!

The beauty of this is we are keeping the KLR, like I said my wife wants to get into it, she has a license but no experience. Whats the "so what" of that? I get two bikes!! ssshhhh...s

The KLR seems to be a money pit, it requires so much time money and effort to even be on par with an 800GS.

This is helpful guys, keep it coming. Every webpage under BMW F800GS on google is light up purple for 6 pages on my computer!!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal 62 View Post
Great info thanks, this is keeping me away from one of those gawd ugly KTM's!!

The beauty of this is we are keeping the KLR, like I said my wife wants to get into it, she has a license but no experience. Whats the "so what" of that? I get two bikes!! ssshhhh...s

The KLR seems to be a money pit, it requires so much time money and effort to even be on par with an 800GS.

This is helpful guys, keep it coming. Every webpage under BMW F800GS on google is light up purple for 6 pages on my computer!!
The KLR will never be on par with the 800. The 800 has more than twice the HP.
But I trust my KLR more for reliability and repair.
I'll take the KLR places I won't take the 800 and I won't worry about it.
I can pretty much tear my KLR apart on the side of the road and get it running.
Whereas the 800 will need a tow. LOL
Not to mention, the parts and labor on a BMW are expensive.
As far as expenses on the KLR, I opted to spend what I did on it to make it better, but I had the bike for 12 years with no mods at all and still loved it.
The main things I replaced and felt were needed was the rear shock and fork springs to Progressive, doohickey, subframe bolts, steel foot pegs, shifter, carb T-Vent and jetting. These were the main expenses.
I added an aluminum skid plate, but went further with the highway pegs and PD Nerf Bars and other farkles that weren't really necessary, but I wanted them anyway.
I put rim locks on both rims and put knobbies on.
The reason I put the rim locks on was due to getting a flat on my way home from riding and being stranded for a couple hours. I didn't have any tools or tire repair stuff with me at the time. Lesson learned.
I now keep plenty of tools, two HEAVY DUTY tubes (front and rear, even though you can use a front in the rear), tire repair kit and slime, and three options for inflation. CO2 cartridges, foot pump and electric pump.
I replaced all my light bulbs with LED bulbs to save on power consumption for heated gear.

As for the F800, I added Vario side cases, skid plate, engine guard and hand guards.
I could have bought three KLRs for the cost of my F800. LOL
Both bikes are fun, but different kinds of fun.
For highway riding, the 800 is the winner hands down.
MySPOT
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Ha! already a step ahead of you! My wife is sitting her feeding the baby and I have about 12 tabs opened up on my laptop, one of which is youtube wataching "Awesome Players Drowned bikes". I've been watching intently as you are on an 800GS. Good skills!!

No KLR buzz on the highway? Did you upgrade your suspension?

Cheers!!

I forwarded your videos to a mate and fellow KLR rider of mine, he is pumped we plan on coming down to Calabogie in the spring. Hopefully I'll be on a new steed....800GS perhaps?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Motoriley

Buzz

I don't find any bad buzz on the 800. The knobbies are loud but when I put on my street rims it is very smooth. I did the cheapo suspension upgrade of heavier springs in front since I'm a 220lbs before suiting up. Works for me.
I'm hoping to hit a few more events next year. Calabogie is a very nice area.

Cheers

Quote:
Ha! already a step ahead of you! My wife is sitting her feeding the baby and I have about 12 tabs opened up on my laptop, one of which is youtube wataching "Awesome Players Drowned bikes". I've been watching intently as you are on an 800GS. Good skills!!

No KLR buzz on the highway? Did you upgrade your suspension?

Cheers!!

I forwarded your videos to a mate and fellow KLR rider of mine, he is pumped we plan on coming down to Calabogie in the spring. Hopefully I'll be on a new steed....800GS perhaps?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Great info from everyone I appreciate it. It pays to hear from real people who have put some miles down range on the KLR then made the switch. If it was as easy to test ride bikes as it is to do with cars these forums wouldn't be as full!!

Does anyone know if the 2013 suspension has been sorted? I know there is an adjustment for rebound on the back shock but thats it.

My plan is to pick up a 2013 over the winter then pick away at upgrades. First and foremost will be armour, skid plate, crash bars, bark busters etc. An average ride on my KLR with my buddy nets about 60% off road 40% on with 2-3 crash's each haha!.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Motoriley

F800

As far as I know the suspension is the same. If you really want to take the bike off-road buy used. You can get some real deals on bikes that already have a lot of accessories on them. With the three year warranty you can buy a two year old bike and still have a year for any major problems to be sorted out.

Quote:
Great info from everyone I appreciate it. It pays to hear from real people who have put some miles down range on the KLR then made the switch. If it was as easy to test ride bikes as it is to do with cars these forums wouldn't be as full!!

Does anyone know if the 2013 suspension has been sorted? I know there is an adjustment for rebound on the back shock but thats it.

My plan is to pick up a 2013 over the winter then pick away at upgrades. First and foremost will be armour, skid plate, crash bars, bark busters etc. An average ride on my KLR with my buddy nets about 60% off road 40% on with 2-3 crash's each haha!.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:

The front forks on the 2013 are now WP.
There is an adjustment knob for the rear shock to change the preload.
You can also switch, on the fly with the press of a button, between SPORT, NORMAL and COMFORT modes.

If you're crashing on the KLR, you're probably going to crash on the F800.
Invest in a good skid plate, engine guards and hand guards.
It may save you money in the long run.
MySPOT
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

I have come across a lot of negative opinion regarding the suspension of the 800. There were 5 pages of worth on the 2013 whether or not it had WP front forks. This next bike like I said I want to be happy with 'out the box', minus aftermarket armour, luggage and windsheild. All the major mechanical components and suspension need to be good. The KTM seems to be build tougher with beefier suspension. Is there truth to this? How many of you have re worked the suspension?

Regards, Paul.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
I have come across a lot of negative opinion regarding the suspension of the 800. There were 5 pages of worth on the 2013 whether or not it had WP front forks. This next bike like I said I want to be happy with 'out the box', minus aftermarket armour, luggage and windsheild. All the major mechanical components and suspension need to be good. The KTM seems to be build tougher with beefier suspension. Is there truth to this? How many of you have re worked the suspension?

Regards, Paul.
The 800 suspension is plush compared to the KLR. I think it is plenty good for most people and their riding styles. The problem all suspensions have is they are designed for "average weight" riders. They might need upgrade if you are really heavy, ride with a passenger, or heavy loads. You might also need an upgrade if you are riding the bike like you think it is a supercross bike.

The front end will dive if you brake really hard on pavement. Stiffer springs will ride rougher off road. There are trade offs.

I think most people upgrade their suspension because they read about others doing it and think that it will make them a better rider. After spending big bucks on new suspension people are going to brag about how much it helps rather than say they wasted money. I've upgraded suspension on bikes because of failure of OEM parts. It did improve the ride, but not worth the price of replacing OEM that didn't have a problem. It is kind of like people putting on after market exhaust and bragging about how much power they gained when dyno testing show very modest gains if any.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
The 800 suspension is plush compared to the KLR. I think it is plenty good for most people and their riding styles. The problem all suspensions have is they are designed for "average weight" riders. They might need upgrade if you are really heavy, ride with a passenger, or heavy loads. You might also need an upgrade if you are riding the bike like you think it is a supercross bike.

The front end will dive if you brake really hard on pavement. Stiffer springs will ride rougher off road. There are trade offs.

I think most people upgrade their suspension because they read about others doing it and think that it will make them a better rider. After spending big bucks on new suspension people are going to brag about how much it helps rather than say they wasted money. I've upgraded suspension on bikes because of failure of OEM parts. It did improve the ride, but not worth the price of replacing OEM that didn't have a problem. It is kind of like people putting on after market exhaust and bragging about how much power they gained when dyno testing show very modest gains if any.
Well said. When I was riding sport bikes there was a lot of 'I need this' 'this bit is the tits' 'need more power' on already 150+ superbikes. A quick glance at a punters back tire told the story. Inch wide chicken strips. Most people cannot squeeze the performance out of a stock bike. I have seen guys riding slicks on the street thinking they stick not knowing that you need to generate heat in order for them to work, that heat only comes from the track.

Well said, I have found myself being sucked into the "are they really WP forks?" "well it was friday when they made them and my cousin Jimmy's wife's friend works at WP factory and they used a different oil, from banglesh so blah blah blah"

Don't care.....I just don't want to splash the cash for a sweet bike then find myself on the internoggin looking to upgrade forks. Thats for KLR guys. I'm torn between the 990 and the 800GS.

FML, first world problems eh...lol.