ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Some Q's on DSing & offroading

Pulling my arse out of the jungles of Thailand to came back to So-Cal for a few months. I sold my KTM 525 in Thailand and coming back to the states for a new bike. I'll be looking to hook up with like minded peeps for some fun offroading and DS (emphasis on dirt) rides during my time home if anyone is interested. I'll be back in LA in February and hang my hat for a few months. So willing to ride areas with anyone interested that are within a few hour drive; Northern deserts, Kennedy meadows, death valley, usual so-cal deserts, and down to Ocitillo and San Diego

I'll be trading in carrying bikes through naval deep rivers

rice paddies

and mud

All for a shot at 6th gear sand washes, dust, rocks, terrain I can get my bike into the upper gears, and..............................3 foot deep whoops. My quads are already locking up with the thought of 8 miles of 3 foot sand whoops through Lucerne.

Question: Are there any worthwhile DS rides (that require camping stuff) planned during those months (FEB - JUNE) that would necessitate me bringing my GL Coyote bag? It takes a lot of space in my luggage and when returning back to Thailand I need all the space I can get to smuggle back in all my needed bike parts. Whats on the calendar for these months in terms of rides? Really wish I was here for the Kings of the West as that sounds a hoot. Maybe next time my timing will be a bit better.

My schedule is pretty wide open so am free to head off during the week if there are people that can get away midweek? Anybody doing that? I enjoy all types of riding and will be desperate for riding as my arm is currently in six pieces. So anything from fire road DS rides, day rides, weekend riding in the deserts, wasting a day trying to push new trails through, exploring, etc.. Hell anything that involves me on a bike will most likely interest me so puhleeeze post up with anything you think will be of interest, introduce yourself, beg for pics of scantily clad ladies, etc.

What GPS maps are people using for getting around both city and off road stuff?

Also in need of a cheap vehicle to haul my bike so if you have any in mind let me know. Van, truck, car w/bumper hitch etc. Need not be pretty but reliable enough to get me to to the deserts and back.

What are the rangers like when it comes to smog equipment? If I yank off the Auxiliary air intake and fuel catch can (yes I know its not legal) have the local rangers (Gorman, Kennedy Meadows, etc.) been catching people doing this?

Thanks all in advance and looking forward to riding with you once I land.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

A bump as curious if the rangers at Gorman, Jawbone, Kennedy, Big Bear, etc. are clued into Fuel catch cannisters, Auxillerary air intake and other smog type equipment. Lets say if a bike did not have these still on the bike would there be people with badges pointing this out to me or is flying below the radar still possible?

What maps are people loading into their GPS that are the best for offroading?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
A bump as curious if the rangers at Gorman, Jawbone, Kennedy, Big Bear, etc. are clued into Fuel catch cannisters, Auxillerary air intake and other smog type equipment. Lets say if a bike did not have these still on the bike would there be people with badges pointing this out to me or is flying below the radar still possible?

What maps are people loading into their GPS that are the best for offroading?

spark arrestor.

buy a small Toyota truck for $1,000 or less.

bring your Coyote just in case you want to do some camping off the bike.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post

buy a small Toyota truck for $1,000 or less.

THATS if you can find one- I see them every week going down the 10fwy packed up w/shit(toyota parts) going to mexico-usually pulling another behind packed w/more shit

ftb, when u get a bike and transportation, hit us up as we are always riding somewhere in so cal!
usually tight single track trails!

***Tuned for a broad power band with the torque curve set just under the wheel spin threshold!*****
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,939
In SoCal, just make sure you have a spark arrestor, the rest of the stuff the rangers really don't care about.

Most are using a Garmin GPS. I have the Southwest USA card in one of mine, the other has the big set of USA maps in it.

Yes, there will be camping trips that you'll want your GL bag for. If you can't find one, plan one and post it up.

Check Craigslist for cheap vehicles. Towing stuff in California is a pain in the ass, as you can't use the carpool lane and have to keep to the rightmost lane at 55mph.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Great news about a spark arrestor being about all thats needed.......................and a plate nowadays. Maybe time to get a two stroke plated in Arizona.

I'm looking for used vans now for transport. Just missed out on a $2500 motovan on the D-37 site. Just picked up a bike and its sitting in the garage, ready to crash n burn.

What maps are people loading in the GPS's?

Will give you a bell once I land happy Trails.