User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
kipo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
DRZ400E Andy Strapz Pannier Racks

Can anyone let me know or post up a picture of where the bottom strut on the Andy Strapz pannier racks bolt onto a DRZ?

Cheers

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club

kipo screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 01:02 AM
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
Can anyone let me know or post up a picture of where the bottom strut on the Whipps pannier racks bolt onto a DRZ?

Cheers
I didn't know that whipps made pannier racks. I have their rear carrier rack on my DRZ. is that what your mean?

see http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2844.0

XRman screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 10:39 PM
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Do you mean Andy Strapz pannier racks?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Andystrapz then whipps???

which is it ?
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,219
Kipo sometimes has a tipple before lunch......

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
kipo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry about that, I ment Andy Strapz pannier racks for their 'Expedition' panniers. (I was also looking at a Whipps rear rack and typed that by mistake).

I have a set of Andy Strapz Expedition panniers off my DR650 which I'm selling. So I'm going to either buy some 'Giant Loop' luggage (no racks required) or get some racks and use the panniers I have.

Cheers

Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Glenn2319
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Sorry about that, I ment Andy Strapz pannier racks for their 'Expedition' panniers. (I was also looking at a Whipps rear rack and typed that by mistake).

I have a set of Andy Strapz Expedition panniers off my DR650 which I'm selling. So I'm going to either buy some 'Giant Loop' luggage (no racks required) or get some racks and use the panniers I have.

Cheers
Hi I'm looking for some panniers for a DR 650 if you are definately selling. You can send me a PM Thanks
Glenn2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

The RHS mounts onto the same tab on the subframe as the exhaust, the LHS just bolts to the higher of the two tabs on the subframe in pretty much the same opposite location. Can probably organise a picture if that info isn't useful.

The problem I had with mine was that the B&B rack and the AndyS pannier racks both fight for the same upper mounting points, so the B&B rack had to sacrifice some of it's metal to make way for the panniers.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
kipo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The RHS mounts onto the same tab on the subframe as the exhaust, the LHS just bolts to the higher of the two tabs on the subframe in pretty much the same opposite location. Can probably organise a picture if that info isn't useful.

The problem I had with mine was that the B&B rack and the AndyS pannier racks both fight for the same upper mounting points, so the B&B rack had to sacrifice some of it's metal to make way for the panniers.
Thanks very much mate, that's exactly what I wanted to know (no need for a pic I know where you mean). I too have a B&B rack and noted I'll have the same problem. I was going to either get a different rack that bolts to the seat mounts or do what you did and cut some of the B&B rack so the tabs of the pannier racks can slot in there.

The reason I wanted to know was I run those stegz pegz and frame guards and things are a bit busy lower down, and I was hoping they didn't mount down there.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks very much mate, that's exactly what I wanted to know (no need for a pic I know where you mean). I too have a B&B rack and noted I'll have the same problem. I was going to either get a different rack that bolts to the seat mounts or do what you did and cut some of the B&B rack so the tabs of the pannier racks can slot in there.

The reason I wanted to know was I run those stegz pegz and frame guards and things are a bit busy lower down, and I was hoping they didn't mount down there.

Thanks again.
I have got Stegpegz and B&B frame guards as well, and no problem with the lower pannier mounts.

To fit the pannier racks with the B&B top rack you need to trim about 5mm off the inside faces of the tubular B&B mounting points, and grind away part of the rounded sides of the mount. You can see it's a pretty snug fit from the picture below.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
kipo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers JD, I thought I'd have to trim the 5mm off the inside face but I didn't realise I'd need to trim the sides. In hindsight I wish I bought a Whipps rack, I reckon the B&B (while it looks neat and shiny) is not that practical. The tie points are crap whereas the Whipps looks a bit more agricultural but has a wider area and far better set up for tying stuff on. I've always bought a Whipps bash plates for different bikes over the years, again not as pretty as the B&B but the DRZ one has a 'wing' on the RHS to protect the water pump and they are as strong as buggery.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers

kipo screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 06:04 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cheers JD, I thought I'd have to trim the 5mm off the inside face but I didn't realise I'd need to trim the sides. In hindsight I wish I bought a Whipps rack, I reckon the B&B (while it looks neat and shiny) is not that practical. The tie points are crap whereas the Whipps looks a bit more agricultural but has a wider area and far better set up for tying stuff on. I've always bought a Whipps bash plates for different bikes over the years, again not as pretty as the B&B but the DRZ one has a 'wing' on the RHS to protect the water pump and they are as strong as buggery.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers

Yeah, the B&B rack isn't too functional unless you add the top plate to it.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
Whipps not ideal

Kipo the whipps rack I have is not ideal. The upturned sharp edges need to be covered with a split tube to prevent them rubbing through tie downs and bags. The top plate on the B&B looks like a good weapon to slice your leg IMO.

These racks from USA look like a practical and economic solution. http://www.moto-racks.com/~shop/main.html.

The rear rack is tubular (see above comment) and wider and the side pannier racks are easily detachable if you dont want them. Sure it looks less sexy than a B&B rack but that won't help when your gear keeps sliding off the rack.

I am considering getting some of these from USA. My current setup is a modified S model pannier racks from Dirt Bagz ( bit of cutting and drilling involved) and a Whipps rear rack.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
PBee

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post

These racks from USA look like a practical and economic solution. http://www.moto-racks.com/~shop/main.html.

I am considering getting some of these from USA. My current setup is a modified S model pannier racks from Dirt Bagz ( bit of cutting and drilling involved) and a Whipps rear rack.
Mmmmmmmm............me likey

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
kipo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Kipo the whipps rack I have is not ideal. The upturned sharp edges need to be covered with a split tube to prevent them rubbing through tie downs and bags. The top plate on the B&B looks like a good weapon to slice your leg IMO.

The rear rack is tubular (see above comment) and wider and the side pannier racks are easily detachable if you dont want them. Sure it looks less sexy than a B&B rack but that won't help when your gear keeps sliding off the rack.

Thanks XRman, I've gone off the idea of the Whipps rack. The one from the US looks the goods. The B&B is good for a tube bag or small bag for a day trip or maybe an over nighter but usless for anything else. Not sure of their logic, they make a rack then you have to adapt a 'luggage' plate to use it for it's intended purpose

I've decide to make my own pannier racks, got 2 steel rectangles made up and bought the rest of the steel for a total cost of $65. I was going to drill through the mounting points of my B&B rack so I could run a bolt right through to attach the top brace of the pannier racks but I might wait now and look into this rack from the US before I make them.

Cheers

kipo screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 07:51 PM