Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
KLR650 around the world with passenger

Hi,

My girlfriend and i have need traveling around the world since June 2012. We have driven across Canada into Alaska and down to San Deigo. We are planning to travel for the next 10 or 20 years or longer. We want to really spend months in cities to really know what its like to live all over the world. We want to learn about the different people of the world and try to see life from their perspectives. We want to know why we need all the horrible things like war and poverty and try and get people to come together and find solutions.

We are both on a 2011 KLR650 with all our luggage and camping gear. We
Could use alot of advice on keeping the bike running for may years and the best way to travel through different countries. I will start posting all the issues and questions and daily reports of how the trip is going.

We will be staying in San Deigo for a few weeks before entering Mexico so we ahve time to get ready.

Regards,
Alex

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
Good Luck & don't forget to do your ''doo''.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Cool2 don't need to do the doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Good Luck & don't forget to do your ''doo''.

With respect. There is no need to do your doo. I'm in Peru on a KLR 650 with 45000 kms on it. I have ridden here from eastern Canada. I have never done my do. Simply loosen the bolt on the doo give it a light tap and gently re-tighten every time you change the oil. No doo need be done.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
With respect. There is no need to do your doo. I'm in Peru on a KLR 650 with 45000 kms on it. I have ridden here from eastern Canada. I have never done my do. Simply loosen the bolt on the doo give it a light tap and gently re-tighten every time you change the oil. No doo need be done.

Kedgi
Half the problem with doo is not the thing breaking, but rather the spring running out of tension as the chain stretches... I have done several as to where the balancer chain had a lot of slack because the doo spring had no pull left, if run this way for a spell things could come to a grinding halt...

Even if you plan not to change the doo, the tensioner spring should be checked after a nominal amount of miles, you will likely find that there will be not much spring left and it should be swapped for a shorter unit...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,185
Quote:

Kedgi
You should not give bad info based solely on your experience.
Just because you have not had a problem does not mean someone else won't.
It is a well documented problem, and I personally have found springs broken on a stock KLR with 3,000 miles.

You can do what you want, but don't give bad advice.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
You should not give bad info based solely on your experience.
Just because you have not had a problem does not mean someone else won't.
It is a well documented problem, and I personally have found springs broken on a stock KLR with 3,000 miles.

You can do what you want, but don't give bad advice.
Ditto!!!

I too have done more than my fair share of DOO's and springs and found the exact same thing.......springs broken, no adjustment, fallen off the their perch, gone totally to be found nowhere and broken and damaged DOO's. I have a drawer full of them......I would bet dollars to donuts yours is the same...no adjustment left and you just don't realize it!

I second the bad advice...comment......irresponsible to say the least!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Basically.....but only loosen it 1/4 turn......if it's new I doubt you need to tap the case.....?
I would loosen it at evey oil change.....just for good measure. I ran 30,000kms last season and never adjusted it, on my spare 08 engine......when I took it apart and loosened it, it moved 1/8"! It was kind of an eye opener.......it just shows you that it is necessary. It also showed me that the stock spring is useless.....something I already knew! I had already installed the straight EM spring after finding the original spring off the spring post. So, if the stock spring was still there the doo lever would have slopped around to any possition and posibly allowed the ballancer chain to go completely slack.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Tony K
going somewhere

Oddometer: 130
Lots of big Diesel trucks in Mexico. I would think that the equivent of Rotella should be available.
Tony K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:

Kedgi
With respect Kedgi, some attention is needed and highly advised.

A personal friend with an 08 had his implode at 12,500 miles in FL. The off-set adjuster commonly referred to as the 'doo' was fine. The spring, as with mine and many others, was too short and did not tension the chain beyond the first one or two adjustments. The chain came off the sprokets and the mess was not worth fixing. I know of two other 08's that have also imploded. Chainging out the too long stock spring for a shorter one is the least one should do.

Another concern and cause for the stock spring to break is that whoever made the springs for KAWA had pinch points where the end hooks were bent 90 degrees from the coils. This casues metal fatigue possibilities and a weak spot. Other springs broke in their coil lengths. That is due to post coiling over-hardening.

The EMike springs, and he supplies several lengths, are bent without the pinch or distortion as well as more strictly heat treat controlled. I am not aware of any of these having broken.

The pre-08 'welded' 'doo' is a liability and its breakages are extensively documented.

Another issue with the 08's was that the factory did not place a washer on the retaining bolt where it meets with the doo lobe.

Tapping cases is not a substitute for proper spring tension and design and is in the catagory of shade tree mechanic work. However, if it makes you feel good, do it .

While many never break, it is good maintenance (and peace of mind) to remove those parts that are known to have had inadequate quality and process control.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 06:56 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 433
Nice plans!!! How about some pics of your gear, bikes, both of you and map of where you going?! Thanks Alex
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,474
Learn how to strip off the gas tank, plastics, upper and lower fairing, etc.,
and know and carry the proper tools to do it road-side.

Then when you have it apart, start armoring all the wiring with harness split loom and hockey stick tape. Open up every electrical plug and harness connection and pack it lightly with dielectic grease.

Get lots of blue loctite for bolts and nuts. Understand, or learn, what bolts are important to be "torqued" to certain specs, and which ones are not as fussy.

Don't over torque the oil filter cover access bolts, or the drain plug bolt.

Get crash guards.

If you are riding two-up, carrying a load and doing lots of miles, consider carrying a spare set of front and rear sprockets. Or, buy the sprockets and a new extra chain and give it to a friend you can count on to overnight it to you when you need it badly. Do the same with some extra tires. And a SHOP MANUAL. And buy a spare clutch lever and spare stock shifter lever. And a spare manual petcock for the gas tank.

Just the ravings of a complete mad-man here.

I have a 2009 with about 28,000 miles on it. It has been an interesting but good journey thus far.

Ps: learn WHICH bolts are made from old gum wrapper foil. Foot peg bolts come to mind. Frame bolts also can be upgraded, there's a kit you can buy if you like. Couple links for you

http://www.eaglemike.com/

http://www.eagle-m-e.com/

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
Good luck on your ambitious plans, I'll be watching for more posts over here at ADV - as you've already seen there's a ton of help, advice and inspiration here. Meantime, I'm going to check out your FB page.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 490
Sounds like an ambitious plan. Good luck.

If you aren't already doing it...play close attention to tire wear and inflation. A 12V mini compressor is a cherished part of my touring gear.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,185
Subscribed !!!
Im glad to see you are doing a ride report and look forward to some pictures and write ups.
Good luck,and stay on top of maintenance on the KLR.It is a great bike but must be maintained like anything.
Also keep an eye on the oil level.Just make sure it doesnt run low.It usually wont unless you are doing high speed.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
WOW, 2 up on a KLR loaded with gear, well done.

I look forward to following this as the years tick by, let me know when you get to Central Australia

Great pictures on your facebook page

Cheers

Desert2202 screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 04:31 PM
Desert2202 is offline   Reply With Quote