Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Roll-sen OP
Hater be Hatin'

Oddometer: 132
Moly additive for trans and FD- is this product OK?

I came across a bottle of this 'Schaeffers Moly EP Oil Treatment' in my dad's garage. Obviously this is meant to be an engine additive, but would it be suitable to add to trans and FD in place of the regular moly paste that many of you use?

http://www.schaefferoil.com/engine-oil-treatment.html

MSDS here:http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_fil...y/MSDS/132.pdf
Roll-sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll-sen View Post
I came across a bottle of this 'Schaeffers Moly EP Oil Treatment' in my dad's garage. Obviously this is meant to be an engine additive, but would it be suitable to add to trans and FD in place of the regular moly paste that many of you use?

The Moly paste is used on the driveshaft splines and the clutch output shaft. Don't add anything else to the FD or trans.

The GL5 Hypoid gear oil is all you need.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,485
Guard Dog offers moly-based additives as well, might be worth checking out if that's what you're after.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
If you do not trust your refiner to use quality stocks and balanced additive package then either switch refiners or get a lubrication engineering degree so that you can build your own lubricant from scratch. Forget trying to "improve" formulated lubricants by using the shake and bake method.
-------

Some people think that buying 91-92 octane fuel is a waste of money. They add mothballs to the tank. These folks enjoy close relationships and quantity discounts with the best machine shop and tank re-liners in the county.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
If you do not trust your refiner to use quality stocks and balanced additive package then either switch refiners or get a lubrication engineering degree so that you can build your own lubricant from scratch. Forget trying to "improve" formulated lubricants by using the shake and bake method.
-------

Could not agree more.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
-------
Well Said!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
A friend of mine is a Schaffer oil rep. I recently emailed him the engine oil specs for my oil-cooled boxer and what Schaffer can offer. He sent this reply:

Schaeffer's chief chemist Larry [redacted] confirmed that Schaeffer motor oil (with moly) can be used in your BMW motorcycle. The two oils which would be suitable are:

a. 705 Supreme 7000 Synthetic Blend 20W-50 Racing Oil. This oil has moly, Penetro, and extra zinc in it. I stock this and a 12 qt case is $66.24.

OR

b. 9001 Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 5W-50 Racking Oil (also with moly, Penetro, and extra zinc). A 12 qt case is $68.64. I do no stock this one but could get a case for you for your next visit into town.
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
A friend of mine is a Schaffer oil rep. I recently emailed him the engine oil specs for my oil-cooled boxer and what Schaffer can offer. He sent this reply:

Schaeffer's chief chemist Larry [redacted] confirmed that Schaeffer motor oil (with moly) can be used in your BMW motorcycle. The two oils which would be suitable are:

a. 705 Supreme 7000 Synthetic Blend 20W-50 Racing Oil. This oil has moly, Penetro, and extra zinc in it. I stock this and a 12 qt case is $66.24.

OR

b. 9001 Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 5W-50 Racking Oil (also with moly, Penetro, and extra zinc). A 12 qt case is $68.64. I do no stock this one but could get a case for you for your next visit into town.

OP was inquiring about Trans and FD additives.
I switched years ago to Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil in trans of my LT and GSA and feel it shifts cleaner/smoother.
I use Liqui/Moly 75W-90 Racing Gear Oil in FD's
LT has 95K w/origional FD.
GSA FD failed at 56K now at 88K.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Roll-sen OP
Hater be Hatin'

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
OP was inquiring about Trans and FD additives.

I know A LOT of inmates here add moly to their trans or FD. Wasn't looking to open a discussion about the suitability or usefulness of doing so, just asking if this specific product would be acceptable for that specific use.

Thanks everyone for reading and replying.
Roll-sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll-sen View Post

I would not use an additive in your gear oil unless it is specific for use in gear systems. The product you describe is not.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I would not use an additive in your gear oil unless it is specific for use in gear systems. The product you describe is not.
+1

I just added Guard Dog moly for gear oil to my transmission, it shifts much smoother now.

Comparing a moly additive which is designed for gear oil to adding mothballs to gasoline, which they are NOT designed for is not a valid comparison.

BMW had added moly to the gear oil when the bike was new, so I see no problem with it.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
+1

I just added Guard Dog moly for gear oil to my transmission, it shifts much smoother now.

Comparing a moly additive which is designed for gear oil to adding mothballs to gasoline, which they are NOT designed for is not a valid comparison.

BMW had added moly to the gear oil when the bike was new, so I see no problem with it.

Yes, if you feel it's necessary and as long as it's designed for the intended use.
The OP had something for engine oil, not trans or FD.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
+1

Gear oils come in a variety of brands which seem to provide a variety of performances, even the API rated GL-5 specified for our gear systems.

They come in green, red, purple and amber with various odors and viscosities. Most contain EP additives, corrosion inhibitors, buffers, anti-foaming agents, additives for anti-slip differentials, seal conditioners and claim other redeeming properties.

Many of these oils do not improve shifting to any appreciable extent especially in a new gearbox hence the reason many GSers add some moly (MoS2 or molybdenum disulfide) to their transmission and final drive gear lube. I did so at early miles and shifting improved within several miles of riding.

Guard Dog furnishes moly gear oil additive in quantities that are sensible for motorcycle applications so you don't have to buy a drum or pail of the stuff.

Don't use mothballs for anything except killing moths.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Don't use mothballs for anything except killing moths.
You're not the boss of me!
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
You're not the boss of me!
You're right. Use them wherever you see fit.