User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
vlhugo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
seat question

I'm looking for feed back about Sargent seat. I have 2007 R 1200 GS and need better seat for my long distance rides.
Thank you
vlhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I've only put about 2k miles on mine so far. It's definitely better than the stock, but that isn't saying much. The stock is horrible and I don't know how I kept it on as long as I did. It would hurt after about an hour of riding. After a day or two of riding all I could think about is how bad my butt hurt.

The Sargent I can go about a half day before it begins to get uncomfortable and it's no where near as bad. It seems to sit a little lower. I think I'll ride it for a while then get a RDL or Mayer made. The whole custom seat process is a hassle when you live out east.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
I've only put about 2k miles on mine so far. It's definitely better than the stock, but that isn't saying much. The stock is horrible and I don't know how I kept it on as long as I did. It would hurt after about an hour of riding. After a day or two of riding all I could think about is how bad my butt hurt.

The Sargent I can go about a half day before it begins to get uncomfortable and it's no where near as bad. It seems to sit a little lower. I think I'll ride it for a while then get a RDL or Mayer made. The whole custom seat process is a hassle when you live out east.
+1 What he said. Except I'm not sure about the RDL or Mayer. I recently had my stock seat done by Mean City Cycles http://www.meancitycycles.com/ in Maiden, NC near Hickory. So far on a couple short trips it feels great. Real test will have to wait a couple months. It was a double decker of memory foam and I described exactly what I wanted to accomplish. This is how they describe it:
"This modification was developed for the larger rider in mind but light weight riders are loving it also. In this modification we start by reshaping the seat for better comfort then add a 1 inch piece of 10 lb memory foam then we add a 5.5 lb 2 inch memory foam. This gives the seat a super plush feel. This modification keeps the sitting position is a near stock height but we can still move you back, forward or up." I drove up and had it done but you can do it by mail. $150 plus any shipping.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
matthangen
07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
+1 What he said. Except I'm not sure about the RDL or Mayer. I recently had my stock seat done by Mean City Cycles http://www.meancitycycles.com/ in Maiden, NC near Hickory. So far on a couple short trips it feels great. Real test will have to wait a couple months. It was a double decker of memory foam and I described exactly what I wanted to accomplish. This is how they describe it:
"This modification was developed for the larger rider in mind but light weight riders are loving it also. In this modification we start by reshaping the seat for better comfort then add a 1 inch piece of 10 lb memory foam then we add a 5.5 lb 2 inch memory foam. This gives the seat a super plush feel. This modification keeps the sitting position is a near stock height but we can still move you back, forward or up." I drove up and had it done but you can do it by mail. $150 plus any shipping.
TuefelHunded, you got pics of the seat?
matthangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthangen View Post
TuefelHunded, you got pics of the seat?
I can make some pic's if you want them, but it looks "almost" identical to the stock. Even if I could put the original stock side by side with the modified seat it would be very hard to tell the difference. It is a bit wider across the back and I mean "a bit." There are slight differences in the slope where your legs fit on the sides too, but again very slight. You tell the difference by feeling it. One of the things I had him do is work on the channel where your manly parts are. As I said you can't see much of a difference because of the stretch in the cover, but I no longer feel "the boys" crawling up my throat . You do see a noticeable difference between it and the Sergeant, but you could see that with compared to a stock too. Don't know how to explain it, but the foam feels softer than stock but firm at the same time. It AIN'T NO feekin' pillow like some saddles I've seen. LIke I said, I will take some pics if you want.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Rick Mayer is having a 50% off sale for GS and RT seats for the remainder of this month.

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
Doc Rich
Dance with the Angels

Oddometer: 195
Have a look at what touratech have to offer. I replaced my stock seats with a Kahedo seats - high range so its gives me an extra inch or two higher and isn't so hard on my knees. Am also tall. R
Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
rcliffor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Very happy with my Sargent; however, I rarely go on long rides. Most of my trips are less than 4 hours.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Sargent seats are awesome - if you get them to do a custom seat on the stock seat pan. I've had 2 of these. Their World Sport seats - i.e. the ones they make on their own seat pan - suck. Maybe not as bad as the stock GS seat, but that ain't saying anything. I've had 1 of their World Sport seats.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
matthangen
07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 85
Thanks for that suggestion Doc, i'm transitioning from a KLR and XRL so the seat doesn't seem to bad but my concern was getting lower when I already wish my knees weren't so high when on the pegs. Another inch higher would be nice so i'll be checking out Kahedo seats.
matthangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 439
Depends how tall you are - Sargents slide you forward and do not have as much 'wiggle' room as a stock seat. I tried one and gave it back. They are more comfortable than stock, I had one on my ST1300 and thought it was great, not so on the GS. Try a bead rider over your stock seat, I did a SS1000 with one

srpuywa screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 09:46 AM
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
I had Rick Mayer re-do the seat on my 1200GS and it is day-after-day comfortable. I recommend his work. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,804
I tried every kind of seat and settled on an off the shelf Sargent Low seat for my R1200GS. I put the front high and the back low and loved that seat. Good for 600+ mile days, and it was great for 40K miles for me, and nearly 120K for the friend I later gave it to.

Rick Mayer is as comfortable, but his customer service sucked for me and a few friends, and the leather wears fast.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I had Rick Mayer re-do the seat on my 1200GS and it is day-after-day comfortable. I recommend his work. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

After years of Sargent seats, I opted to have Rick Mayer do the seat on my GS. The reason for trying him instead of sending my stock seat to Sargent was simply that Rick offers ride-in appointements, so I could get my seat done a lot sooner, and his prices are less expensive than Sargent.

When I first arrived at Rick's, I told him that on my Sargent custom seats I always had them done to be exactly the same shape/profile as stock, but with their Atomic Supercell foam and basketweave vinyl. I had 2 sportbike seats done that way and had no problem doing Iron Butt rides on them after that.

But, I told Rick that my GS is my first non-sportbike, so I would defer to his seat judgment. He did the GS seat with basketweave vinyl, but he put a noticeable "dish" in the seat. I had him flatten it out some immediately, and then rode home. I put about 600 miles on the seat and then took it back to him to adjust (which he doesn't charge for). Basically, on the second visit, I had him, essentially, tweak it to be the way I initially described. I.e. make it as flat as possible, with his firmest foam, and still basically the same shape as stock.

I could ride on it all day the way he first did it, and, like that, it was WAAYY better than stock. But, now that he flattened it out and firmed it up some, it is even better. Now, it is totally Iron Butt-capable.

It seems that a lot of aftermarket seat companies "dish" the seats and I really don't know why anybody would want that. I guess if you're only going to ride a few hours at a time, maybe it's good. I mean, the dished shape is definitely more comfortable than any stock seat I've tried, and it *might* even be more comfortable than a flat seat - for a few hours. But, once you've been in the saddle for a few hours, it's really nice to be able to move your butt around. Forward and backwards. Maybe even to one side or the other. And that is when a dished saddle loses its appeal. If I'm going to ride all day, I want to be able to shift forward and sit like that for a while. Then shift way back and sit there. A dished seat really makes a lot of that uncomfortable.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
spook120
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Had class two pressure sores from my Sargent after 2800 mile trip. Went to Russell daylong....still not quite the right seat for my rearend. Go figure. Spook
spook120 is offline   Reply With Quote