User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
From Madol-Duuwa to around the world

One of the questions I’ve been frequently asked is what made me decide to get on a motorcycle and travel the world. It’s not an easy question to answer because there were so many factors which contributed to it. At this moment of writing, I’ve been travelling around the world for two hand half years, have gone through 54 countries in four continents, and I have managed to make so many wonderful experiences which have enriched my life immensely. In each country I have visited, I’ve been asked the same question over and over again as to what inspired me to undertake such a daunting task and travel the world on a motorcycle all by myself.

In the past, I have given all kinds of answers. “The world is a beautiful place to explore”, “I wanted to find myself by travelling the world” have been two of my favorite replies. However, the reason for my world tour is a very simple one. I am an adventurer! Therefore, what made me into an adventurer is a more important question than why I do what I do.
I was born on a beautiful island called Sri Lanka. As a small boy I developed the taste for reading, especially if the books contained action. When I was thirteen I read Madol-Duuwa, a Sri Lankan classic novel which laid the foundation in a boy dreaming of adventures. It’s about two teenagers who run away from home and travel south to start a new life on the island of Madol-Duuwa.

When I was 6 ½ years old, my father, who was a good and prosperous businessman, was killed by two robbers. That event had a dramatic impact in our lives. A life of abundance gave way to poverty and the whole burden of looking after four boys was put on my poor mother. Growing up in the third world, where a social security system didn’t exist, meant that we had to go through many hardships.

I so wanted to be like the boys of Madol-Duuwa and even dreamed of running away from home to find my own adventure. But by then I had already become a father figure to my little brothers and the love for my mother made me postpone my adventures for a later date. Nevertheless, I remained a dreamer and lived my adventures in my mind through what I read. The adventures of Tin Tin or Rohld Dhal’s Going Solo fuelled my burning desire for the big wide world.

Now I am a big man My situation has changed by a considerable amount. I was living in Switzerland running my own small workshop repairing and maintaining automobiles. Over the years I had the chance to explore different parts of the world on motorcycles. But the thirst of seeing the whole world in a one trip never left my mind. The big day crept on me like a thief in the night; it was a spontaneous decision. From the moment I seriously considered it, to the time I left home, was merely two months.

My name is Dylan Samarwickrama. To someone who’s unfamiliar with Sri Lankans, my family name is a tongue twister. For several years I struggled to come to terms with that long name. It was simply because living in Europe with a name such as Samarawickrama made things really difficult. People not only found it hard to pronounce, but also I’ve been laughed at more than just a few times. But then one day someone asked me is there a meaning behind that name. Sure! When you translate it into English, it literally means "celebrator of adventure"
Seriously?
Yes! To be honest, until that day I never really thought about it. It never struck me that I have a unique name which I can identify myself to. I am an adventurer! Not only by deed but also by name!

Now, enough about the past, my trip started in Switzerland in July 2010 heading eastward.

Greetings from Mazatlan, Mexico!

Red line represents the route completed while blue is the planned route.

Indonesia riding towards mount Bromo.

I was looking for a better angle to photograph the volcano Bromo. so I decided to ride up the mountain behind it. The path was too narrow but I still wanted to give it a try. Unfortunately my right pannier hits a tree stump and I was thrown out of balance. The result: I ended up 10 meters below while my bike was held in balance by a small tree.
Ironically, I had to cut the tree to release the bike which saved my trip altogether.

Camping in the wild in Australian outback. 95% of the time I camp in the wild. Travelling for so long and being on the road without sponsors or a not yet having received a dollar discount on a single tire or whatever, leaves me no option but to experience the true adventure.

This is a video of one my most recent rides to Copper Canyon

Dylan.S screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 06:35 PM
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bruce (my bike) and I looking fresh as daisies on our first day.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
jamesm417
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
sound like fun

I'm in.
jamesm417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
littlebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hi Dylan,

That's a long trip report you have to tell us about here
Seems your destiny was spelled in your name from the start
Wish you good riding for all that remains
littlebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebike View Post
Hi Dylan,

That's a long trip report you have to tell us about here
Seems your destiny was spelled in your name from the start
Wish you good riding for all that remains

Thanks pal! I'll try to catch up with what you missed in the past two and half years. Hope you'll enjoy my photos and comments.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I'm in. Subscribed.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,136
Just watched the Copper Canyon video and see that there are several more. I'm hooked (and tired just from watching you hoisting "Bruce" back up )!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Just watched the Copper Canyon video and see that there are several more. I'm hooked (and tired just from watching you hoisting "Bruce" back up )!

Thanks Garfey! I'm happy that you enjoyed it. Keep watching
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 617
Book?

Hi Dylan

Your trip looks fantastic, you can write well and tae a decent pic. Why not write a book and try to fund your travels whilst spreading the joy to many more than just guys on ADVRider?

Congrats and keep going

Cheers

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
Hi Dylan

Your trip looks fantastic, you can write well and tae a decent pic. Why not write a book and try to fund your travels whilst spreading the joy to many more than just guys on ADVRider?

Congrats and keep going

Cheers
It looks like you like the letter 'W" a lot WillWilkins Wollongong Wollwich.
Thanks for the message and for the encouragement! I think you might see a book from me one of these days. First I have to bring this tour to an end. Hope you're happy in Woolwich.
Read you soon pal!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sometime I have taken a passenger on my bike. I couldn't count this passenger to one of the pretty ones but he certainly was the biggest of them all. Alex was nearly two meters tall and weighed 100Kg. When I met him in Jogjakarta we immediately became friends and travelling together for a few days in Indonesia was fun. However, Bruce, my bike took some scars. As a consequence of travelling with Alex and his backpack plus all my luggage made my rear shockabsober to sag.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One day Alex and I decided to explore a scenic area called Green Canyon. We road the bike through some rough terrain parallel to a gorgeous looking river and parked the bike in a small space we found off the footpath and walked into the canyon. After a day of hiking, swimming abseiling down to the canyon bottom, we returned to the bike exhausted hungry and thirsty. Something looked different. There was a wooden plank leaning on the bike. i take a closer look and there was a message on the wooden plank written with Charcoal. It read "from Abdul, Mister, The young coconut is for you"

We tracked down the the generous man and did not forget to thank him for his kindness. As the picture shows, he certainly didn't look a rich man. On the contrary, men in ragged cloths can be more hospitable than those in expensive suits.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Catching some sun in cold Alaska
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Awesome you live the dream of many. Im in!

Viel Glück auf das die BMW noch ewig fährt.
Rensen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am experiencing something extraordinary. I arrived in the city of Gomez Palacio (Mexico) and searched for internet access. There stood a strong looking man in front of a Pizzeria Domino. I asked him if he knew where I could find an internet cafe. He hardly spoke English. Then he signaled that I wait a second and made a phone call. After a few minutes he received an SMS which he showed to me. It read "Follow my car, I'll take you to a place where you can have WiFi". So he brought me to another Pizza Domino shop and provided me with the password. Brought me a Pizza and we started communicating with each other sitting in front of two computers through Google translation!
As our discussion went on he asked me where I was going to stay. I said I'll ride out of the city somewhere and camp. But he insists that he pays for a hotel room and he typed " I will take no for an answer!"
I am speechless!