ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
KG6BWS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Prescott, AZ

Anyone know be able to tell me how ice and such is right now in Prescott?? Im heading down this weekend to visit a friend and Im wanting to ride down. As shes not a rider, I cant quite get her to understand when I ask her if snow is sticking to the ground and if they have any ice during the day.

Never having been to Prescott though, and really would like to survive the trip , hows 89 during the winter?? Theyve got "slight chance of snow showers" a couple of days this weekend. Ive ridden in snow before, I just dont like riding on ice.

Ill be riding my Dakar with TKC's on it.

Thanks.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
I live & ride here & just a somewhat educated quess, I would not want to ride any forest rds. now unless on a mountain bike. Heading south would be the only option for me. Just my 2 cents. Also coming from Lancaster I would come over on the 10 & avoid the 40 if possible.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
KG6BWS OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I live & ride here & just a somewhat educated quess, I would not want to ride any forest rds. now unless on a mountain bike. Heading south would be the only option for me. Just my 2 cents. Also coming from Lancaster I would come over on the 10 & avoid the 40 if possible.
Thanks for the reply. Actually what i was wondering about are the paved roads, highway, getting into Prescott Valley. Never been there so I dont know what to be expecting with the slight chance of snow you guys have this weekend. This particular trip is going to be just a visiting trip, no offroading planned at all. The only reason for TKC's is that I hate changing tires, so what goes on stays on until theyre shot.

Any particular reason for taking 10 instead of 40??

Thanks.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Thanks for the reply. Actually what i was wondering about are the paved roads, highway, getting into Prescott Valley. Never been there so I dont know what to be expecting with the slight chance of snow you guys have this weekend. This particular trip is going to be just a visiting trip, no offroading planned at all. The only reason for TKC's is that I hate changing tires, so what goes on stays on until theyre shot.

Any particular reason for taking 10 instead of 40??

Thanks.
The paved roads are fine unless it just snowed. The main roads get plowed and it wasn't cold enough for it to stick around this time. I think the reason for I 10 instead of 40 was snow/ice and out of control 18 wheelers.
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
KG6BWS OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
The paved roads are fine unless it just snowed. The main roads get plowed and it wasn't cold enough for it to stick around this time. I think the reason for I 10 instead of 40 was snow/ice and out of control 18 wheelers.
Thanks. When I asked me friend about that, she makes it sound like the roads are solid snow and ice from November till March. Of course, to her, anything under 60deg is too cold to safely ride a motorcycle.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
As Bob said the paved roads getting here should be fine, but I would for sure avoid 40 & come across the 10.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote