User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question dual sport comparison

Hey guys, I am looking for a bike that I can take almost anywhere (let's say 65% street, 20% track, 15%dirt). I would primarily just be doing weekend twisty riding/exploring. So I figured I would check out some dual sports. A couple bikes have really caught my eye so far, specifically, the KTM 690 Enduro R and the Husqvarna TE650 Terra.

I just have a couple of questions that maybe you guys could help me answer:

First off, do you think I am going in the right direction with looking at those two bikes, based on what I said I wanted?
I have not seen too much info on taking those bikes onto race tracks... I dont know if anyone here has done any track riding with dual sports... so maybe someone could tell me if I am out of bounds.

Secondly, would you say those bikes are comparable? Are there better options I should be exploring? (either from those manufacturers or from others) I would appreciate just some general feedback about either one of those bikes (it would be awesome if there could be some comparison made between them)

I only know what I have seen on paper, which is basically that the KTM cost about 3 grand more, but you are going to get what you pay for. It is lighter, has more HP, more suspension travel, higher seat height/ground clearance... I would like to hear from some owners to see what their opinions are though.

thanks guys!
rmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,920
For what you're looking for, I'd go with something like the KTM 500 EXC or Husky TE 511.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Your going to ride a dual-sport on the track?
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Your going to ride a dual-sport on the track?
that was the plan. (road tracks) change out the tires of course... and keep it on fairly small tracks. there is a small 1.4 mi track fairly close by that I think it would be great on.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
For what you're looking for, I'd go with something like the KTM 500 EXC or Husky TE 511.

yea, the TE511 also popped up on my radar...

one thing I didnt understand about that bike vs the 650 Terra is the price. It seems that in just about every aspect you would get more bike with the Terra, however the TE511 costs about 2 grand more. I know there must be some reasoning behind it... can you explain?

the ktm 500 exc appears to be about a grand cheaper than the 690 enduro r. that makes perfect sense to be... less bike, less money.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelroy View Post
yea, the TE511 also popped up on my radar...

one thing I didnt understand about that bike vs the 650 Terra is the price. It seems that in just about every aspect you would get more bike with the Terra, however the TE511 costs about 2 grand more. I know there must be some reasoning behind it... can you explain?

the ktm 500 exc appears to be about a grand cheaper than the 690 enduro r. that makes perfect sense to be... less bike, less money.

The Terra has an engine made in China for one. They use pretty cheap parts on it compared to the TE or the KTM's.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The Terra has an engine made in China for one. They use pretty cheap parts on it compared to the TE or the KTM's.
is that the primary difference in price? a much lower quality engine would be a big deal... i have read on other sites that some people were having issues with the bikes just randomly stalling/back firing.

the more i look into the terra, the more i am wanting to shy away from it. and when i start looking at the TE (which retails for 9000) against the 690 (which retails for 10k) well, i think i would rather have the ktm.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,161
Something like this:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...422606177.html

or this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=Husaberg

w/ the right tires would rock on a short road course - even better w/ SM wheel set. You are lucky to have a good Huasberg dealer close by, you really should check them out. The 70* models are excellent bikes (and a very good value used). If you can search one out, FS570 has your name written all over it.

SRG screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 06:43 PM
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
I'm going with the KTM 690 Enduro R.

1 - I have one and have a clue as to what they are capable of
2 - simply higher spec gear with the KTM, so you have more adjustability in the suspension, for example - you can pay now for this or pay later when you upgrade the Terra's suspension, in which case your total outlay of cash will start creeping towards 690 R territory...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Cut&Paste from another forum:

"As you might have noticed, the 690 has impressed me a lot. I've claimed it's the only bike out there that can do EVERYTHING and not only doing it but doing it well. This is, though assuming you have both enduro and SMC wheels, forks, shock and brakes.

Well, to take what it's not great at first:
Autobahn - 120kph is OK for a while (so OK in Norway and US then) but take the smaller roads instead
Hard core cross and enduro - It's just too tall and heavy (though much lighter than a XT660 or GS800, only 20kg more than my EXC). COULD be ridden in tough terrain by someone more skilled by me though.

What it's good at:
Supermoto - Not as good as the 450SMR I had, 30kg heavier, but still good fun and capable.
Gravel roads - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter for aggresive riding
Trails - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter

What it's great at:
Gravel touring/dual sport - 530EXC just isn't a touring bike, it's a competition bike requiring frequent service...and terrible for those tarmac transport stages. 690 actually works good on tarmac even with enduro tyres/wheels and more fun (lighter) than XT660/GS800 on gravel
Tarmac touring - assuming twisty roads...but that's a given for me. That's why I ride! I have no problems keeping up with my sportsbike buddies even on wide, open roads as long as a bit curvy. The more narrow/twisty the better it works and if really tight, the sportsbikes just couldn't keep up. Not very often I felt I lacked power really (do have evo2 kit, dyno job and low gearing though)
Race Track - I would probably be a second faster on my superdukeR...but more fun with 690. And cheaper if crash, normally just hose off dirt.

For me, bikes are all about FUN, and that's really what the 690 is all about too 8)"

Touring:

Road/Trackday:

SUMO/road racing:

Gravel/Dual sport/Light Enduro:

Winter :
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

thanks pingvin!

a lot of that is the sort of info I have been trying to gauge. yea, it seems the more I research, the more I am becoming hooked on the 690 ER. I will probably wait until the 2013 comes out in the spring before I get one though. Luckily I live close to a dealer that has a 2012 and they offer test rides. So I should be able to get a good feel for what I am getting into and be 100% sure that is what I want.

now, does anyone know what differences the 2013 has vs the 2012. I know they are going to be very similar bikes, and that not much was done to the frame/engine/body. But it would still be nice to know what small differences were made. I believe one difference I saw was that the 2013 has a tach on the gauge cluster, whereas the 2012 does not. Anyone got any more?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 620
you just missed out. a buddy had a 610TE setup with a set of SM wheels and tires too in Birmingham. Sold last week.

my 610s were great 1-bike garage rides. easy maintain, sexy, good power. Would run 90 down the interstate and awesome in the twities.

My 450s were AMAZING in the mountain twisties and below 50mph. SUCK above 55-60 and over 20min of straight/ middle Alabama rds.

If you want everday hooligan, fire rds, some powerlines, and ocassional track day= 610
trailer to trails, track, and trailer it to NC/TN Mts= 450/510

....never ridden a KTM
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Well, I'm in for this thread. I have been trying to decide on another bike for the same conditions.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Question

bump
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
The Terra / Strada engines are Assembled in China, along with the BMW thumpers:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91450.html

Gear ratios have nothing to do with older Husky models, the Terra is a cousin of the BMW F650GS.
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote