User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hand grip removal

Anyone have any good techniques/methods to remove hand grips with out destroying them? I'm converting to clip ons.
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
pkboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Blow em

If you have access to a compressor, plug anyholes in the end of one grip and fill the handlebar with compressed air from the other end.

Make a quasi-air tight seal around your air nossle.

Sometimes the grips will shoot off without even touching them.

Or have someone else wiggle it off.

Other than that, squirt something liquid (WD40) under the grip and wiggle it off.
pkboxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Windex is the bomb! I wedge a small flat head under the grip to have a channel to spray the windex into, then i slowly work the screwdriver around. Then grab the end and shes off!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Windex is the bomb! I wedge a small flat head under the grip to have a channel to spray the windex into, then i slowly work the screwdriver around. Then grab the end and shes off!
+1 I use air, but if not available, some windex will do the trick, and does not leave the grip lubed, semi permanently, like wd-40
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Muscle and lubrication. The air compressor trick works, but if you run bark busters you have to cut the end off the grip and that makes it a little harder. If you get wd-40 with the red little straw that helps get under the grip, and I have found that the warmer the grip the easier it is to peel off.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportride View Post
Muscle and lubrication. The air compressor trick works, but if you run bark busters you have to cut the end off the grip and that makes it a little harder. If you get wd-40 with the red little straw that helps get under the grip, and I have found that the warmer the grip the easier it is to peel off.
Just my luck....it is 39F in my garage. I don't see warming them up too much of an option. Haha!

I was kinda thinking WD-40 myself. Thanks for confirming that!!!
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Personally I would not use any type of lubrication, +1 on blowing them off with air. There is no guarantee that you'll get all the lube off and there is nothing worse than a loose grip while you're riding.
If you have an open end it still works and you don't have to plug any of the holes.
You may have to ask a helper to hold the other side on while you're installing the grip because it may blow off on it's own.
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Personally I would not use any type of lubrication, +1 on blowing them off with air. There is no guarantee that you'll get all the lube off and there is nothing worse than a loose grip while you're riding.
If you have an open end it still works and you don't have to plug any of the holes.
You may have to ask a helper to hold the other side on while you're installing the grip because it may blow off on it's own.
No, No, No. The worst thing is a big bug flies into your mouth when you are going 85 mph and you have to swallow it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
No, No, No. The worst thing is a big bug flies into your mouth when you are going 85 mph and you have to swallow it.
I was ready with a witty reply but my mouth was full.....
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
old paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I always slide a hacksaw blade under the inner edge and work it around several times. Soon it breaks loose. To install I simply pour in some rubbing alcohol and slide it on. In a few minutes it is on tight, never slips and comes off pretty easy next time.
old paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
norwstrider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ok here is my "I'm to cheep to by new grips" trick. Slide your thinnest long blade, flat screw driver as far under the grip as you can, then slide the plastic tube on your contact cleaner spray can in beside the screw driver, squirt, pull the plastic tube and screw driver out and then twist the grip off the handle bar. If that doesn't work someone must have glued them on with super glue. And its time for the utility knife.
norwstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
motog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I've used my wife's hairdryer to heat them up to make them easier to remove. Also soaked a towel in boiling water and wrapped it around them and pulled them off (after putting on some leather gloves).
motog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Hair dryer to warm them up and make them more plyable. Then take your air hose with a nozzle on it and stick it under the edge of the grip. Have that compressor cranked up and work the air nozzle around the grip as best you can. Even if somebody used some glue, the heat and then forced air usually breaks them free.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,092
Rallypro grips cost ten bucks. My time to remove a grip is worth morer then that.

But heres what I do. Using a little plastic syringe I squirt a little dish soap under the grip. Then using compressed air I blow the grip off.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
konaunit1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have found that a little electrical cleaner with the little plastic straw works great work it under the grip spray and twist. takes a bit but the grip comes right off. The elctrical cleaner evaporates quickly leaving no gunk. I do the same putting my grips on also. Never had one slip.
konaunit1 is offline   Reply With Quote