Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
KTM HQ Adventure - ny reviews or experience?

Wondering if anyone can share practical experience / opinions of the KTM HQ Adventure jacket and pants. In my quest to consolidate the ever-growing multitude of gear that I continue to amass, I have decided that:
1- I need waterproofness for the occasional downpour (anything beyond a sprinkle)
2- I need some versatility for accommodating weather changes given where I live (Canada - goes from cold to downright hot and humid)
3- I need something that can be used for my sport bike riding / touring as well - but not for hooligan canyon carving or anything serious like that
4- I am not looking to replace my very hot weather gear (Rev'it Airwave jacket and pants) - yes, for those days where it's damn hot and I know I'll end up in traffic
5- I am not looking to replace my leather gear for the times I am on my sport bike and want to look and feel like a 43 year old MotoGP ass-clown (or when I want a ton of tarmac protection on the sport bike)
6- I do not want a one-piece suit

What I currently have:
1- Rev'it Airwave jacket and pants for extremely hot days
2- Dainese leather jacket and pants (strictly for sport bike riding)
3- Held Awara Jacket and Held pants (good, simple textile jacket and pants with zip-in thermal linings. Not waterproof but fairly "sprinkle-resistant" - very, very good value - very good fit. I use this gear for both the ADV and the sport bike
4- KTM Rally suit; lightweight, tough, beige and orange monstrosity of a design but it works and gives me plenty of room underneath for heavy duty body armour for off-road silliness - again, sprinkle resistant, not waterproof
5- Sidi rain top and pants for the "just in case of a torrential downpour" moments
6- Kevlar reinforced jeans for the nights out on the town :)

I've been battling with myself about "traditional" water resistance versus "outside water resistance" - by that I mean gear that comes with zip-in, zip-out waterproof linings. Though this seems to be the more popular approach in the mass market, it never seemed to make much sense to me to wear a waterproof membrane INSIDE of the jacket / pants. That has always left my gear heavily soaked and me miserable even if inside, I was somewhat dry. That leaves me with options for gear that is "externally" waterproof such as Klim, Rev'it Horizion, some Rukka (aka: expensive as all hell), etc, etc.

I have to admit that I've tried some Klim gear on (Traverse, Adventure) and a) wasn't crazy about the fit for me and b) the Adventure gear was just too costly and too heavy.
I have not worn any Rukka as there isn't a single dealer anywhere near me.
I have access to Rev'it from a local trusted source but am not a big fan of the fit of the Horizon gear on me (their only "externally waterproof" gear right now). It just doesn't feel comfortable to me...

So...I might as well suck it up and stick with something that has the usual zip-in water linings which brings me to the KTM HQ Adventure gear. I have tried this on - it fits very well to me and the pants are actually long enough (I am very long legged and 6'3"). It seems very durable yet flexible and well vented (from what I can see by the locations and sizes of vents). I have no idea who makes it for KTM but the quality is good and it seems like very good value. I am looking for opinions and experience from anyone here who uses this setup. It is different than the former version; the AQ Adventure and it's quite "higher-end" than their Pure Adventure jacket and pants.

Can anyone help? OK, I'm definitely a gear-whore...

Thanks in advance everyone.
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

104 views and no comments? Is this gear so rarely used by this community?
2005 Ducati 999R
Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Really?
2005 Ducati 999R
Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Really?
Alongat…

I just found this jacket online while doing some searching. I can't tell whether its a new jacket from KTM or an old one? Looks like it may be a great product. I'm looking for some new gear and have been eyeing Klim's new (2014) adventure rally jacket/pants combo. But those two pieces of gear alone will set me back around $2400??!!! Whats your thoughts? Did you purchase the jacket or go with something else?
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

So I ended up getting the KTM HQ Adventure jacket and pants in the end. I have to say that the suit is the most versatile outfit I have ever owned for riding. I've used it for long trips in both dry and wet, hot and cold days/nights and its been fantastic - I have zero regrets getting it. Yes, I know...Gortex on the outside can't be beat, etc, etc but I've ridden in torrential rains and not a drop has come through the inner waterproof layer. The sing is true - I have an XL jacket and pants and I am 6'3" and 218 pounds plus I am long legged and armed and yet the lengths work perfectly for me. A few things to consider: the pants will not work tucked into boots that well - they are simply too baggy at the bottom to fit properly into your boots but I always wear my pants over. The jacket back is long enough to never leave your lower back exposed to the elements and the collar is comfortable even with both the thermal and the water liners zipped in. The one thing that is annoying about water linings on the inside is that you should put them inside in anticipation of rain rather than carrying them in the back pocket and waiting to find a dry parking spot to undress and insert them. The water liner also does a very good job of blocking wind and that helps with colder weather. As I stated in my first post, I have a Rev'it mesh jacket and pants combo for the very hottest of days but I do well in the heat so I really never had to use that suit and just kept wearing this KTM outfit. In fact, my first use of this suit was about a year ago when I took it on a fly 'n rent bike trip in southern California. Starting in LA and working my way south then east and through mountains / desert areas I went through temperature ranges of mid 50s right up to 99 degrees in the Palm Springs / Joshua Park areas with zero discomfort and I was riding a GS - a bike nearly 100 pounds heavier than my KTM (and I'm no athlete). I have nothing but praise for this gear - the pockets are well though out in terms of placement and size and most of them are waterproof without the water lining. The collar has a magnetic closure and is nice and soft; no chafed neck even after a fresh shave. The sleeves and pant legs are generously proportioned in terms of diameter and length without ever feeling bulky and floppy. The sleeve ends also have velcro straps for snugging them up so you can wear over-sleeve gauntlet gloves with no issue (for cold wet weather, I wear Held QuattroTiempo gloves - some of the best gloves I have ever owned) and for warmer weather I have several short (wrist length) gloves that work well with the jacket.

What else can I say? I've been tickled pin with this gear - let me know if you have any other questions or need more details...
2005 Ducati 999R
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Soxlib
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Update?

I am a new rider looking to buy the jacket and trousers KTM HQ Adventure. Any updates on the review?. Should I go for it?

I just bought a ktm adventure R 1190, and dont want to ride without proper protection.
In internet research I got overloaded with info, specially Aerostich, Klim, and Motoport Kevlar.

Thanks
Soxlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:53 AM   #7
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxlib View Post
I am a new rider looking to buy the jacket and trousers KTM HQ Adventure. Any updates on the review?. Should I go for it?

I just bought a ktm adventure R 1190, and dont want to ride without proper protection.
In internet research I got overloaded with info, specially Aerostich, Klim, and Motoport Kevlar.

Thanks
You're a "new" rider and your starting out with an R 1190?

Perhaps a good medical plan would be the first order of business.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
tremmy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Have had the HQ Adventure gear for 2 years non. Have to say that I am very happy with it. I live in Victoria, Australia, so we have quite a variance in weather 8 -mid 40's C temperature changes. So far the suit has survived the hot weather quite well. In saying that it still gets hot, but the venting works well, whilst moving. Like anything once stopped you heat up quickly. For summer riding and more off road, slow going I have gone to the Rally jacket. Bit lighter and more ability to open it up. The HQ gear handles the rain really well. Have ridden for hours in heavy rain and pulled up totally dry. Havent really had to use the warm liner in it, as havent really felt the need. Thing to look at is that the fit of the jacket is changed noticably with just the waterproof liner inserted. Feels quite snug.
Crashability, cant comment. Thank good. But the standard 'smart armour" is quite comfortable and doesnt take long before starting to mold to you body shape.
Hope this helps.
Peter
tremmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremmy View Post
Have had the HQ Adventure gear for 2 years non. Have to say that I am very happy with it. I live in Victoria, Australia, so we have quite a variance in weather 8 -mid 40's C temperature changes. So far the suit has survived the hot weather quite well. In saying that it still gets hot, but the venting works well, whilst moving. Like anything once stopped you heat up quickly. For summer riding and more off road, slow going I have gone to the Rally jacket. Bit lighter and more ability to open it up. The HQ gear handles the rain really well. Have ridden for hours in heavy rain and pulled up totally dry. Havent really had to use the warm liner in it, as havent really felt the need. Thing to look at is that the fit of the jacket is changed noticably with just the waterproof liner inserted. Feels quite snug.
Crashability, cant comment. Thank good. But the standard 'smart armour" is quite comfortable and doesnt take long before starting to mold to you body shape.
Hope this helps.
Peter
Thanks Peter - I appreciate the feedback and detailed description. I don't need this suit for the hottest of day (I have Rev'it mesh for that) and I have the KTM Rally jacket / pants for the tight, dirty work so I'm hoping this suit would be for everything in between, especially multi-day road / gravel touring and I hope it's comfortable enough for touring on my RC8r sport bike as well - full leather is just no fun for that and I do want to do a few sport bike rides this coming year.

Thanks again,
2005 Ducati 999R
Old 10-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #10
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

I have some Motoports gear too. A Kevlar mesh jacket, waist length, it fits well with stretch panels on the sides. Kevlar mesh over pants, bulky, haven't worn them in years. Stretch Kevlar pants, they used a pair of my jeans as a pattern, fit is spot on. They also made me goretex shells to wear over the jacket and pants.

It is good stuff, but I seldom wear it any more because the Klim Badlands is better for me. The venting keeps me more comfortable than the mesh when it's hot and if it is wet I don't have to fool with a shell or liners. The badlands jacket is quite heavy compared to the Motoports jacket, it's armor accounts for some of that.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Soxlib
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I would really follow the advice of the Badlands, but I will like to try it before. I am now trying to find a store near my home (I am living for now in Croatia); and I can not get anything close enough. Vienna is close to go shopping (3 hours driving) but I can not find any shop there with the jackets.

Alongat, reading again your post, I checked and I am actually close to shops with Rukka. I will go to try them. The Rukka Armaxis looks as a good option with outer shell of kevlar and cordura, but I am still doubting on the comment of the CEO of Motoport. I wouldn't want to absorb heated plastic in my skin.

I just discovered this link. I hope helps as well. To me good info.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726246

Soxlib screwed with this post 10-01-2014 at 03:25 PM
Soxlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Wayne is rightfully proud of his product, but he does make some claims that are over the top regarding it's benefits compared to his competitors.