User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Chip Stevens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Battery options for 2012 GSA with ABS and ESA

My 2012 GSA needs a new battery. From years of experience with Odyssey I am partial to their batteries. As most of you know the GSA for the years 08-09 and 10+ uses a smaller battery then the other GSs and GSAs. On thes forum I have read of people putting a PC535 in a GSA with fin modifications. These posts don't indicate if the GSA had ESA or not. My question is will a PC535 fit in a 2012 GSA that has ESA?
Those of you that have experience with the Odyssey PC535 and the Braille B14115 how would you compair the two? If the Braille is about the same as the Odyssey it would be nice because it looks like a drop in with no modifications. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Why not get a new one under warranty? Mine shit the bed after a year and was just replaced.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,009
Yeah, I'd be curious to hear how/why it failed?
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Chip Stevens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
The origonal battery lasted about 9 months. It will no longer take a full charge and as a result spins the moter slow. If I had not been able to ride for a week I would put it on a battery tender plus until it shows a full charge then take it off the charger. It would usually top off in a hour or two. As for the warranty, if the BMW battery isn't good why would I want another one? It might save me a few dollars and it wight leave me where it would cost me a lot more then a battery. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
VEGASGSA
Banned

Oddometer: 6,643
All three of mine have ate their batteries in less than a year..all have been replaced with Interstate AGM, with great results..not lighter, nor cool sounding but solid performance.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
The origonal battery lasted about 9 months. It will no longer take a full charge and as a result spins the moter slow. If I had not been able to ride for a week I would put it on a battery tender plus until it shows a full charge then take it off the charger. It would usually top off in a hour or two. As for the warranty, if the BMW battery isn't good why would I want another one? It might save me a few dollars and it wight leave me where it would cost me a lot more then a battery. chip
Well at least get it replaced and save it to sell, give to a friend or a backup. No sense in throwing away a free battery.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,729
I just installed a Full Spectrum P2 lithium Ion in mine. Running the same battery in my ZX-14 and have had excellent luck with it!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 578
I went lithium, Braille G9
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
sunlinden
Fun Muncher

Oddometer: 106
early 2008 GS and still on original battery for 5 1/2 yrs, so some do last. I use a standard low voltage charger (2 amp) and hook it directly to the battery and fully charged throughout the winter.
sunlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,616
Put a Braille in my GS and loved it. Just picked up a 12 and can definitely notice the difference. Going to order one soon to replace the OEM battery.
ghostryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinden View Post
early 2008 GS and still on original battery for 5 1/2 yrs, so some do last. I use a standard low voltage charger (2 amp) and hook it directly to the battery and fully charged throughout the winter.
I think it is time for me to replace my original battery. I have a 2007 GS , it still works but is starting to struggle. These lithium look like the way to go.

Thanks,
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,907
Somewhere I heard that lithium batteries don't function as well in cold. Any truth to that? I ride till the ice builds up, which this year meant I was riding into the high single digits above zero.

My 2010 is harder to start below 32F than my 2007. Not sure I want to add a cold-phobic battery to the mix...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Somewhere I heard that lithium batteries don't function as well in cold. Any truth to that? I ride till the ice builds up, which this year meant I was riding into the high single digits above zero.

My 2010 is harder to start below 32F than my 2007. Not sure I want to add a cold-phobic battery to the mix...

I was told to cycle the key on and off two or three times before starting on exceptionally cold days and there would be no problem. I have started my ZX-14 on 15 degree days and never had an issue. Hasn't gotten that cold yet with the new one in my GSA so not sure if there will be an issue or not.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,075
Does anyone know how the Shorai lithium batteries do in the camheads?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Here's a couple of threads that I thought had good information on Lithium batteries -

What kind of battery for adventuring, is Lithium up to the challenge?

From the 'Vendors section' - Antigravity Batteries latest incarnations and discount

Motorcycle Batteries .. AGM, GEL, Wet, Lithium Iron Phosphate (Li-ion)

For me, AGM, Odyssey etc. still work just fine.

For a cutting edge battery they seem a little finicky... I'll wait.

WindSailor screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:56 AM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote