ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 708
New FARKLE's!!

Hi guys,

I bought my 2012 GS/A this past August and was only able to get 2735 miles on her before the weather got cold. Unfortunately, I don't have all the right riding gear for layering. I'm coming off a sport bike, so my Spidi leather jacket isn't really designed to layer up. New touring gear will be the goal for spring time.

Anyway, the first round of Farkles was finally purchased and arrived on Thursday! I was up on mad-skillz driving charges in the state of VA, so my sentencing/court date wasn't until 12/21/2012. I held off on spending until I knew how much of the farkle fund was going to support the state of Virginia. That's all over....finally. And it was plenty.

So here we go.....now I have no idea how functional or good some of the trinkets are, but they were necessary in my quest to start making the GSA look like a real adventure bike. Some look like they will function very well .

Bad picture....garage was tight....but you get the idea. We have the Touratech Fuel Line Guard, Potentiometer Guard, Kickstand Foot plate. Unable to see it well here is also the rear Maier Fender Extender.



In this shot is the Touratech Oil Cooler Guard:



And then in this pic you can see the Maier Front Fender Extender:



The installation went pretty well overall. The oil cooler guard was the most time consuming simply because you have to pull the beak off, but its simple really...just pulling out screws. The Rear Mud guard from Maier (bought on Touratech) looks like it will help keep the shock and swingarm cleaner. I tend to hit quite a few dirt roads around my house to just "buzz" through and the gravel they use really cakes up dirt and grime....so maybe this will help. Might help keep the underseat area a little cleaner too...who knows. we'll see.

The fuel line guards look like they'll fend off some minor bumps, etc. The kickstand plate is, well, cool looking and seems functional for soft groud, etc.

Anxious for round two at some point: Kaoko throttle lock is at the top of the list and maybe a headlight guard. Can't decide on the plexi-style or the wire grid. I like the look of the wire grid, but not sure how legal in PA they are to just leave on. Then its riding gear for me and the mrs. and hopefully the new Sena comm kit.

All these farkle's I gotta keep my nose to the grindstone at work and keep the hours up. Busy and billable, baby!!!

__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Boondox
Travels With Barley
 
Boondox's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Vermont
Oddometer: 2,919
farkles, not farkle's
__________________
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com

Boondox screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 06:34 PM
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
farkles, not farkle's

 photo DSC00717.jpg
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
I still don't understand how that game is a

Functional
Accessory
Really
Kool and
Likely
Expensive

They should have checked with us first....
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Boondox
Travels With Barley
 
Boondox's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Vermont
Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
 photo DSC00717.jpg
What's your point? The plural of farkle is farkles, not farkle's.

I never understood the widespread misuse of the apostrophe. Usually when someone makes a typo it's a shortcut. In this case, they have to make an extra keystroke to blow it.

Grammar Police
__________________
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,360
Save yourself some $ to spend on other farkles:

"Anxious for round two at some point: Kaoko throttle lock"

Nah...get a $10.95* Cramp Buster (CB-2)....best $11.00 I ever spent!
http://www.crampbuster.com/

*Shipped price!

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 02:35 PM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 708
I appreciate the advice. However, I spent 2000 miles with one and hated it. Thought id get used to it but didn't! Just couldn't stop fiddling with the dumb thing.

I didn't want to go kaoko route but not sure what else to do. Lots of money but my Harley's cruise control spoiled me.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
qman8
GS09
 
qman8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: new philadelphia, ohio
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
I appreciate the advice. However, I spent 2000 miles with one and hated it. Thought id get used to it but didn't! Just couldn't stop fiddling with the dumb thing.

I didn't want to go kaoko route but not sure what else to do. Lots of money but my Harley's cruise control spoiled me.
+1 on the crampbuster. They are just plain dangerous. That damn thing about caused me to wreck and does not allow good throttle control. I think i still have mine in a box somewhere you can have. I have the Kaoko and like it, but the new guy on the block (forget the name) who claims 1/4 turn to lock seems much nicer if it works.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
+1 on the crampbuster. They are just plain dangerous. That damn thing about caused me to wreck and does not allow good throttle control. I think i still have mine in a box somewhere you can have. I have the Kaoko and like it, but the new guy on the block (forget the name) who claims 1/4 turn to lock seems much nicer if it works.
My experience is different.

+1 on Crampbusters, indeed.
Best $10.95 shipped I've spent on the bike(s).

When properly adjusted...no problems with rolling OFF the throttle.

Heard of one rider who had problems with the CB during an accident...claimed his jacket sleeve got caught on the CB and kept the engine running until he could pull jacket away from CB.

YMMV.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
+1 on the crampbuster. They are just plain dangerous. That damn thing about caused me to wreck and does not allow good throttle control. I think i still have mine in a box somewhere you can have. I have the Kaoko and like it, but the new guy on the block (forget the name) who claims 1/4 turn to lock seems much nicer if it works.
So you like the crampbuster or the kaoko style lock? I'm confused...

I ended up with the Bob's BMW 60 dollar lock. It locks the opposite direction of the throttle. I like it...haven't ridden with it as its like 10 degrees and snowy. You really need to want to lock it in...it sure won't happen accidentally. Also, these locks are not super tight...well, you could crank it down, but there is no need to do that. Snug it up and you can still easily roll it forward and shutdown the gas.

Controversial piece of kit, but if used properly, it will be what I'm looking for. I have no use for it other than interstate travel. The crampbuster just plain pissed me off and was constantly in my way. After 1000 miles of use, I still didn't like it...felt like a giant wrinkle between grip and glove, always fiddling to get it in position. I'm a sportbiker by nature and like to have full grip and control on the throttle especially in the fun twisties. The CB adds this strange sensation of extra leverage, to me it was more dangerous.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
qman8
GS09
 
qman8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: new philadelphia, ohio
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
So you like the crampbuster or the kaoko style lock? I'm confused...

I ended up with the Bob's BMW 60 dollar lock. It locks the opposite direction of the throttle. I like it...haven't ridden with it as its like 10 degrees and snowy. You really need to want to lock it in...it sure won't happen accidentally. Also, these locks are not super tight...well, you could crank it down, but there is no need to do that. Snug it up and you can still easily roll it forward and shutdown the gas.

Controversial piece of kit, but if used properly, it will be what I'm looking for. I have no use for it other than interstate travel. The crampbuster just plain pissed me off and was constantly in my way. After 1000 miles of use, I still didn't like it...felt like a giant wrinkle between grip and glove, always fiddling to get it in position. I'm a sportbiker by nature and like to have full grip and control on the throttle especially in the fun twisties. The CB adds this strange sensation of extra leverage, to me it was more dangerous.
Totally agree. I HATE the crampbuster. I think it's rather dangerous and really useless on a bike like the GS, where there is essentially no weight on your wrist/hand like there is on a Sportbike like a Tuono, etc. I'd much rather gain some relief by temporarily lifting the right thumb to the top of the grip. ...for more long term relief on a long straight boring road, I use the Kaoko.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 550
That does look nice.

I'm a big fan of the flashing brake light - the more people I can keep a safe distance away from my kazoo the better I feel.

Take a look at Robert's thread for some links; 100 THREADS all GS/GSA owners should read. --- #49. I WANT TO MAKE MY BIKE MORE VISIBLE...WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?.

I have the HyperLites running from the Grn/Blue wire on the diagnostic plug to power the controller. The P3's from Skenes do look bigger and brighter - but more expensive too.

One farkle I've been looking into lately has been a way to connect to the high beam wire to trip the high beam bypass system or controller for aux lighting. Some people want to use a posi-tap on the high beam wire which is fine; but the best idea that I've seen so far is the one from Clearwater Lights used on the their Krista's setup; which uses a male / female plug configuraton that has an extra wire coming out of it to trigger the controller. Truly a plug and play setup. Nice. They don't sell components (otherwise I would have bought their wiring kit), so I'm on a hunt to find compatible plugs for the back of that headlight assembly.

The bike looks good - looking forward to round two too...
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Boondox
Travels With Barley
 
Boondox's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Vermont
Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post

One farkle I've been looking into lately has been a way to connect to the high beam wire to trip the high beam bypass system or controller for aux lighting. Some people want to use a posi-tap on the high beam wire which is fine; but the best idea that I've seen so far is the one from Clearwater Lights used on the their Krista's setup; which uses a male / female plug configuraton that has an extra wire coming out of it to trigger the controller. Truly a plug and play setup. Nice. They don't sell components (otherwise I would have bought their wiring kit), so I'm on a hunt to find compatible plugs for the back of that headlight assembly.
On my GS I posi-tapped into the high beam wire when installing my Kristas. On my GSA sidecar rig I used the transgender plug you mentioned and wow, talk about an easy installation!
__________________
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor
I have the HyperLites running from the Grn/Blue wire on the diagnostic plug to power the controller.
I guess I need to go a little further in this... Robert showed me a thread from his prior experiences using that Green / Blue wire on the diagnostic plug * 06 R1200GS Battery Warning Light is ON * as a source of power for other items - which is a very good read.

As per Robert's advice - JVB's comment should be taken seriously - "The blue/green wire on the diagnostic plug is fine for a signal voltage for something like a relay, but I wouldn't power anything off of it."

Thanks again Robert for your knowledge and your desire to share information which is why I hit these forums...
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
That does look nice.

I'm a big fan of the flashing brake light - the more people I can keep a safe distance away from my kazoo the better I feel.

Take a look at Robert's thread for some links; 100 THREADS all GS/GSA owners should read. --- #49. I WANT TO MAKE MY BIKE MORE VISIBLE...WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?.

I have the HyperLites running from the Grn/Blue wire on the diagnostic plug to power the controller. The P3's from Skenes do look bigger and brighter - but more expensive too.

One farkle I've been looking into lately has been a way to connect to the high beam wire to trip the high beam bypass system or controller for aux lighting. Some people want to use a posi-tap on the high beam wire which is fine; but the best idea that I've seen so far is the one from Clearwater Lights used on the their Krista's setup; which uses a male / female plug configuraton that has an extra wire coming out of it to trigger the controller. Truly a plug and play setup. Nice. They don't sell components (otherwise I would have bought their wiring kit), so I'm on a hunt to find compatible plugs for the back of that headlight assembly.

The bike looks good - looking forward to round two too...
Thanks, Windsailor. That is a great idea.......more visibility. I especially like the idea of more rear visibility. More for the daytime. At night, my buddies hate following me as their headlights and my aluminum panniers/top box are too reflective.

Sorry to be thick-headed...what is the purpose of connecting the high beam wire to trip the bypass controller? At first I thought you wanted the aux lights to stay on while the high beam is on. My bike's aux lights already stay on regardless of high or low beam...so I'm guessing you mean something else.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014