User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,953
Car alarms, anybody know the truth?

Tell me about car alarms. Yes, i just bought a new car (Subaru BRZ), and the dealer talked me into a Karr Security system. It is not installed yet, so tell me what you know I could probably get out of it. It was the only thing I succumbed to at the dealer. I am second guessing it.

The car is the premium model, which is the lower of the two. It "supposedly" does not have an alarm, but just an engine immobilizer. i found out the cars are shipped with any security system turned off. It needs to be turned on by holding and pressing some buttons on the remote, then you get a flashing icon on the dash when the car is off. The factory disables them before they ship so the alarms don't go off in shipping. Or so I read.

I played with the buttons tonight, and lo and behold, there appears to be some semblance of an alarm. I accidentally left a door ajar and there was a weird buzzing, which i noticed at the same time i noticed the alarm icon was flashing. I did not test it, it's kind of late, but when i locked the car up in the garage, the icon that is flashing was definitely NOT flashing the past few days. I will leave a window open tomorrow, lock the car, and reach in and open the door. If it goes off, well, i guess i don't need anything else?

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
I will leave a window open tomorrow, lock the car, and reach in and open the door. If it goes off, well, i guess i don't need anything else?

Pretty much. I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket alarm, even if it is dealer installed.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
I'm pretty sure nobody pays the least attention to car alarms.

When was the last time you went sprinting through a parking lot because you heard one?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I'm pretty sure nobody pays the least attention to car alarms.
This. Hip attention seekers are advised to simply turn on fog lights all the time (to let everyone know that this car or a truck has fog lights and they're just as bright and pointed in exactly the same direction as headlights, bonus points for extra brightness or blue color), continually talk on the phone while swerving into the adjacent lane (which lets everyone see that I'm on the phone, because if I can't pretend to be an important big-shot in the car, then why even have a cell phone at all?), or install subwoofers pointing out of the car instead of into the car, thereby gaining the desired attention of those who might not have noticed. Any of these can be just as obnoxious as chirping the car alarm upon exit, an exercise which serves mainly to inform bystanders that the car owner also has a car alarm. How special!

Seriously, tho, you know what would be special? A car alarm with a false alarm rate below 95%.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Seriously, tho, you know what would be special? A car alarm with a false alarm rate below 95%.
In 1991 I lived in an apartment complex in the glide path of McConnell AFB in Wichita. This was back when KANG had B1s and both those and the KC-135s were fairly active. I could tell when someone new moved in, because his car alarm would go off repeatedly for a week or two until he could make an appointment to have the sensitivity turned down.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,158
Do insurance companies even bother giving an alarm discount anymore?
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,953
I think my insurance gives a discount for garaging and the immobilizer, I have to check on the alarm.

I was weak, I never agree to anything other than the car when I buy.

I turned down lojack, outer body treatment, interior treatment, gap insurance, which were all on the docket when I went from the salesman to the finance.

I went down the list, after giving the guy the stink eye, and said, take this off, this off, this off, this off, this off, this off. This was not what I agreed to with the salesman just a moment ago.

I did extend the warranty, which is something that has paid off will all my cars that I have owned. I got him down in price on that after I told him to take it off.

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
I turned down lojack, outer body treatment, interior treatment, gap insurance, which were all on the docket when I went from the salesman to the finance.

They are still trying the 'outer body and interior' treatments? Buddy of mine used to sell cars. It was Turtle Wax and 3M Scotchbrite.

Definately pass on the dealer installed alarm. Either they will have one of their techs install it (bad). Or they will drive it across town to BestBuy and have them install it, with a 100% markup.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Better off with the lojack, no one even looks in the direction of a car alarm anymore.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
If you bother with an alarm, get one of the 2-way alarms. At least the only one who cares (you), will know when someone is messing with your car.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
if you can get a alarm that screams FIRE!!!! some one will come looking. people love fire. i once heard a guy tell a self defense class that, expectantly females instead of screaming help or rape scream fire.

but I know of no car alarms that do this.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 654
Nobody pays attention to alarms anymore. The money would be better spent on a large car alarm sticker instead. Or theft insurance.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Don't let the dealership's errand boy crawl around your wiring harness with Scotch-Loks and a drill.

No idea whether you can get your money back, since you already agreed to the worthless alarm. Perhaps you can sell it on CrackList.

Google "Karr Alarm" and you will find nothing but complaints.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Don't let the dealership's errand boy crawl around your wiring harness with Scotch-Loks and a drill.
This. I've never seen a *clean* alarm (or remote-start) installation by someone who wasn't the loving, caring, and skilled vehicle owner.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
4power
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I always got good coverage and said fuck it let 'em steal it, I'll just get another one.
4power is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: