User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
xsf18cdf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Crash Bars for 2013 F800GS

Just ordered my first GS and pick it up next Monday. I want to put a good set of frame-mounted crash bars on it. I've only seen the Touratechs so far. Anyone know of anyone else that makes them? I plan on dumping the bike frequently and want as much protection as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
xsf18cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
There are a ton of companies that make them. Do a search and you will get long posts dedicated to crash bars. I am not sure what companies have started making them for the 2013 models however. I have adventure spec and I really like them
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
xsf18cdf OP
Adventurer

Question

Thanks, Been Googling my butt off. I've only found Touratech for >frame-mounted< crash bars. Looked in Germany, South Africa, USA......Touratech are the only ones I find.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post
Just ordered my first GS and pick it up next Monday. I want to put a good set of frame-mounted crash bars on it. I've only seen the Touratechs so far. Anyone know of anyone else that makes them? I plan on dumping the bike frequently and want as much protection as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
I think he's specifying frame-mounted engine bars DoWorkSon.

Hey Gary,

There are only two I'm aware of: the original Touratech's you mention and Wunderlich Adventure bars.

That being said the more common engine mounted ones haven't proved to be a problem from what I've seen. Only one report of engine mount damage (not the case) over the years and that appeared to be from being broad sided by a car (he bought a used bike). It was repaired fairly easily.

There are a few engine bar threads to read reviews on what riders think of them as DoWorkSon.said. Google or search.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
That being said the more common engine mounted ones haven't proved to be a problem from what I've seen.
Just to be clear to the OP, the ones that mount to the lower part of the engine also mount to the frame in the critical areas. So it's not like the engine is taking the full hit. The BMW bars even mount to the engine, so it's not like they're recommending against it.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
xsf18cdf OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
Just to be clear to the OP, the ones that mount to the lower part of the engine also mount to the frame in the critical areas. So it's not like the engine is taking the full hit. The BMW bars even mount to the engine, so it's not like they're recommending against it.
That was my concern- the engine tabs or case taking a fatal blow.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
That was my concern- the engine tabs or case taking a fatal blow.
I understand your concern as I was somewhat worried about it too. But considering the majority of the bars mount to the engine (including the BMWs), and considering I have yet to see a damaged engine because of it, I decided to go with the SW-Motech bars.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
xsf18cdf OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
I understand your concern as I was somewhat worried about it too. But considering the majority of the bars mount to the engine (including the BMWs), and considering I have yet to see a damaged engine because of it, I decided to go with the SW-Motech bars.

I like the BMW and SW Motech bars and wish that Touratech made a tall upper extension for their expedition bar that is like the upper for the BMW bar. Thanks for your help! Sorry if my question was a bit newbish.....This is my first BMW but been riding/racing since I was 12- I'm 52 now. Still plan on crashing a lot though.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Also depends how far you want to take it. If you would like to protect the upper part as well, I guess touratech is your choice:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...F700GS-2013-on

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
Also depends how far you want to take it. If you would like to protect the upper part as well, I guess touratech is your choice:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...F700GS-2013-on

petzi-baer
sure but at 300 bucks just the upper part and 300 the lower part I'm not so sure of their utility. I mean they mainly are supposed to protect the plastics when you have a drop but I think your plastics are around the samre price

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
sure but at 300 bucks just the upper part and 300 the lower part I'm not so sure of their utility. I mean they mainly are supposed to protect the plastics when you have a drop but I think your plastics are around the samre price
One side - new for 2012 or before- will cost you at least $370. Only the painted part.....

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
One side - new for 2012 or before- will cost you at least $370. Only the painted part.....

petzi-baer
yeah thats it, you get 2 free drops

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 117
The bars will last more than one drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
The crash bars are meant to be used over and again, meaning you may drop it many times over a number of years and they should still work but clearly just one good drop will crack plastic and the rad is close by.

I bought the engine crash bars when I bought my bike because at the time, Aug 2012, there were no bars available for the 2013 F800GS - certainly not on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. It wasnt what I wanted, I specified that I wanted solid crash bars to the sales girl at (edit:i removed the dealer name) and she assured me that these are great. They are not
The Touratech or BMW bars look great but they do not protect the upper plastic and the first time I just let the bike over while stopped (it stalled on a grass hill as I was turning into a campsite) the bars bent in and made contact with the clutch cover. They do not seem to be really solid to me. I bent them back out a millimeter with a good solid pull and later a little more with a lever.
So I am in a similar position, as I am undecided whether to buy the $300 upper bars from Touratech or dump the engine bars and get a new crash bar complete.
I emailed Touratech and asked about the durability of the upper bars and they said there are too many variables to say but the bras have been used in the GS Trophy and said they worked well. It's difficult to say what that means but I'm thinking that perhaps the upper bar mounts solidify an otherwise not so solid setup.
I told the sales girl at (edit: removed the dealer name) about the bars bending and she replied they are designed to be bent back. Hmmmm.

OFA screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 08:00 AM
OFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 554
http://f800depot.com/wildatheart-cra...00gs-2013.html

Hmmmmmm I wonder how many times I'd be bashing my knees into those.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Motoxjet
New Kid on the Block

Oddometer: 4
I purchased a set of ALT Rider Engine Guards for my 2013 F 800GS.

Their bars seemed to be the best coverage out of one bar with out a bunch of add ons. The fit and finish is extremely clean, the front connecting area uses a billet alum insert for solid reinforcement, and the upper mounting uses the original engine mounting bolts with a full length portion of the bars inserting into the frame recession.

Expensive, but great fit and finish, easy to install, look great, and all though I have not had to put them to the test they look to be built to handle multiple crashes if need be!

I would attach pics however im new here, and still have not figured that part out yet?
Motoxjet is offline   Reply With Quote