User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
victor850r OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Help with the BMWr65 timing

Hi can any one please give some info about the procedure to timing my r65 1981?
i located tue timing marks in the hole beside the oilrender hole i know how to spin the engine
using an allen wrench.
victor850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
You might want to check with the guys at www.bmwr65.org

Proceedure is the same as any engine... Two timing marks.. One static TDC and one for full advance...

Why are you messing with the timing ? Are you having issues ?

Just put a timing light on one of the spark leads and flash away... Adjust by rotating the bean can...

Good Luck

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
victor850r OP
n00b

it was a bike forgoten at the field of a farm under rain and sun during 15 years, i full restore it but its so hard to start the engine sometimes it startrs some times not, i use the cranck pedal to do it sometimes in 3 atempts engine starts some times 40 atempts to do it.

i rebuild carbs with new restore kits, i made valve clereance, i have spark , have gas i think it will need a good timing set
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
MacRunch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Victor, I'll second the suggestion about the BMWR65.org forum. Everything you need to know can be found there. Having said that I would suggest you may have carb issues more than timing issues. Stale gas can varnish the carbs quite easily, the float bowls may have dropped, and the rubber bits may be bad. Check it out and get to know the folks there. Quite civil and very helpful.
MacRunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
krampus
get lost

Oddometer: 541
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/ignitionsingleplug.htm

Verbose, for sure. Everything you need to know. I'd move this to the airheads section.

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
victor850r OP
n00b

forgot to mention sometimes i spray carb cleaner straight into the spark plug holes and after that i go to the cranck pedal and after 9 or 10 cranks it starts and it keeps going until i shut off the engine , and then i try to start it again and its almost impossible, i try to find the set timing procedure to make a clearence valve seting. when i set the TCD watching though the timing hole the valves are so thight and then there is no room for any of the feelers but when the pistons are far from the combustion chamber valves are totally close and the feeler fits great
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,767
Not sure I understand your last comment about valve settings. Your problem may indeed be the timing but we can not do ignition timing if the valves are not right first.

The BMW Airhead has two cylinders with two pistons going up to TDC (Top Dead Center) alternately. When the piston on the left is at TDC on the compression stroke the piston on the right is at TDC on the exhaust stroke. Only one set of valves can be set at a time. The side at TDC on compression is the one to set. Then the engine is turned over through 360* till the other side is at TDC on the compression stroke.

For setting valves the flywheel is watched through the timing window for the OT mark. If the valves are close to correct when the OT mark appears one side will have both valves loose. This is the side to set. The side to set is the side that the intake valve has just closed on. The other side will have valves not loose, at least not both of them.

The procedure for setting the valves is in all the manuals. You should have a manual.

What settings, size feeler gauges, are you using? I use .006" intake and .008" exhaust. In metric these are .15 and .20.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote