ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Installing swing arm on r1200 GSA

I seem to recall a thread on swing arm instaltion, but I've searched and have not located the exact info I'm looking for. After a nasty drive shaft explosion last Oct I'm nearly ready to bolt the beast back together. It seems there was someone that modified the socket needed to torque the left side bolt in such a fashion that also allows the installer to use an Allen wrench at the same time. The idea was to keep the Allen torque stable as you torqued the nut. Does anyone have any info on the modification of the socket needed for the job? Also, what are the torque specs for the left side swingarm bolt and Allen?
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
billdonna
Ex Coelis
 
billdonna's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Niagara, Canada
Oddometer: 883
I think this is it...about halfway down the page in the Hall of wisdom..

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...er%20tool.html
__________________
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
I think this is it...about halfway down the page in the Hall of wisdom..

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...er%20tool.html
Excellent! That's it. Thanks
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kimokk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 103
I don't think this tool applies to the '08 model though.
__________________
'09 BMW R1200GSA Adventure! (gone)
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
I don't think this tool applies to the '08 model though.



Good point... Any reason why? Is it not a concern when torquing the bolt and Allen ?
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: N42 36.651 W73 43.111
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdan View Post
Good point... Any reason why? Is it not a concern when torquing the bolt and Allen ?
Because there is no allen pivot bolt & lock nut on 1200, that applies to R1100 & R1150's.
__________________
08 R1200GS
GS 911 pro
DaveyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm650 View Post
Because there is no allen pivot bolt & lock nut on 1200, that applies to R1100 & R1150's.


Items 7 and 8, parts fiche for 08-09 R1200GSA.
They call it a "pivot pin" but I'd say it qualifies as pivot bolt.

And to the OP, I used an alternate method on installing the left side pivot pin that didn't require any special tools.

I applied medium Loctite on the pin and turned it to the specified torque (7Nm?).
Next let the Loctite cure, marked the pin and the frame with white dots to verify if the pin moves.
Then torqued the lock nut to its specified torque (lotofNm) using a normal unmodified socket.
At the end check the marks on the pin to make sure it didn't turn with the nut. It didn't.

--
Mikko
__________________
"It is not when or how you die but how and if you truly were ever alive!" Dr. Jerri Nielsen FitzGerald

FlyingFinn screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 05:01 PM
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post


Items 7 and 8, parts fiche for 08-09 R1200GSA.
They call it a "pivot pin" but I'd say it qualifies as pivot bolt.

And to the OP, I used an alternate method on installing the left side pivot pin that didn't require any special tools.

I applied medium Loctite on the pin and turned it to the specified torque (7Nm?).
Next let the Loctite cure, marked the pin and the frame with white dots to verify if the pin moves.
Then torqued the lock nut to its specified torque (lotofNm) using a normal unmodified socket.
At the end check the marks on the pin to make sure it didn't turn with the nut. It didn't.



--
Mikko
Perfect! Great idea and method. I liked the idea of a custom socket to tighten the bolt and not at the same time tighten the Allen bolt. Your option seems like a good common sense method. Thanks,
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post


Items 7 and 8, parts fiche for 08-09 R1200GSA.
They call it a "pivot pin" but I'd say it qualifies as pivot bolt.

And to the OP, I used an alternate method on installing the left side pivot pin that didn't require any special tools.

I applied medium Loctite on the pin and turned it to the specified torque (7Nm?).
Next let the Loctite cure, marked the pin and the frame with white dots to verify if the pin moves.
Then torqued the lock nut to its specified torque (lotofNm) using a normal unmodified socket.
At the end check the marks on the pin to make sure it didn't turn with the nut. It didn't.

--
Mikko


I'm curious what med lock tight is. I have used blue and red before.... What would you recommend?
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 509
I told you to make a socket?
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher
 
scooteraug02's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 4,256
Is this the tool? Saw this on Ebay Swinging Arm Bearing Tool BMW R1200GS GT CT About $23 with shipping from GB.




HoW tool

__________________
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dan Căta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cluj, Romania
Oddometer: 1,543
This is good info. I have to change the rubber seal, # 11 in the pic above, on a friend's r1200gsa.

Whenever I have to do such a job, I tighten the adjustable pin to whatever is needed (8Nm in case you use bearings, handfeel for bushings ), then mark the pin using a black marker and then tighten the locknut to the needed torque. Then I check the pin for movement. It never moves, the mark is in the same position, every time :)

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud
 
jdub's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: S. Central PA
Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Căta View Post
This is good info. I have to change the rubber seal, # 11 in the pic above, on a friend's r1200gsa.
Is it necessary to pull the Paralever at the pivot point to change the front accordion boot? Maybe by just sliding the driveshaft u-joint splined adapter rearward off of the gearbox output shaft (which you'll have to do anyhow) you'll have enough room to remove the old boot and slip the new one into place.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Is it necessary to pull the Paralever at the pivot point to change the front accordion boot? Maybe by just sliding the driveshaft u-joint splined adapter rearward off of the gearbox output shaft (which you'll have to do anyhow) you'll have enough room to remove the old boot and slip the new one into place.
would love to hear an answer to this.. I should replace my boot as well.. the one farthest back #11, I have been avoiding it because I am unsure of the tear down necessary to do it... so I just ignore it.. seems like a good plan
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Tiz
Studly Adventurer
 
Tiz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Milford, CT
Oddometer: 614
I couldn't replace the #11 boot on my 2005 with the swingarm on place, shock and driveshaft removed. Had to remove the swingarm. JVB was trying to help me with suggestions but I couldn't get anything to work without removing the swingarm.

--Kevin
__________________
FJR1300-2008
ex-2005R1200GS
ex-DL650K5
ex-2001 XR400
ex-2002KLR650
Tiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014