User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
rattis OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Talking Pucker moment

Hi i normally hanf out on the oil head site but I've got an old R 75/5 that I once upon a time converted to a single disc front brake an improvement fron the old drum.
But by todays standard they suck big time, it's a stainless disc and its not very "grippy".
there's definitely no need for ABS
Goods ideas will be implemented.
Pls PM me as per above.
Thanks
Andy
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,401
Bar mounted MC and braided stainless hose made an enormous difference on my bike. When I did it I thought it would help, but it went so far beyond my expectations, I could scarcely exaggerate. I started a thread on it maybe 2 years ago. Check it out.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,658
^ the above seems to be consensus from what I read......

I found that using grippy pads made a huge difference... look for HH from EBC, which I used and really liked....I had a single-disk front end with bar m/c and ss, but it improved mightily with the HH's....

Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
^ the above seems to be consensus from what I read......

I found that using grippy pads made a huge difference... look for HH from EBC, which I used and really liked....I had a single-disk front end with bar m/c and ss, but it improved mightily with the HH's....

+++111
Sintered, or HH pads by EBC, or other quality manufactures can make an enormous difference. I have for decades ridden race bikes with iron rotors, and can't tell the difference between them, and stainless, when using HH pads!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
All of the above plus cast iron discs from Vintage Brake will get you all you're gonna get.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,087
The only EBC pad I have found for my airhead ATE swing caliper was the EBC Organic Kevlar Brake Pads FA22. Using the EBC website, I cannot figure out the EBC HH part number - or if they even make a HH pad for the ATE caliper . Is there a part number for HH scintered pads with an ATE caliper - or is replacing the caliper needed?
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,401
What does HH stand for?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,879
Green galfer if they make them. Good stuff
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
green galfer if they make them. Good stuff
+1
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
+1
+1 the galfer Green's are my 1st choice as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
+1 the galfer Green's are my 1st choice as well
Where is everyone finding the Galfer green pads that fit the OP's R75/5? Galfer doesn't list a pad for that bike in any compound.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
Where is everyone finding the Galfer green pads that fit the OP's R75/5? Galfer doesn't list a pad for that bike in any compound.
OP said he converted to disk...but didn't say what caliper he's using. Assuming its ATE....
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,209
Just to throw in a different angle: I have never noticed that much difference between sintered and organic pads or pads in general. I use organic pads because they are the easiest on my rotors. I have worn out a lot of rotors. I have literally worn out almost as many rotors as I have pads if you count pulsing rotors as worn out! Sintered pads seem to eat my rotors. If I include all the half worn pads I have replaced after replacing a pulsing rotor I have for sure worn out more rotors than pads!

I do notice a big difference with different rotor alloys. IMO, rotor material is a big part of the equation. Personally, I run stock rotors but I also run Brembo calipers.

Good braking with swinging calipers is an uphill battle. They are a bad design from the get go. An over inch tall pad that swings on a super short radius to meet a flat rotor? Good rotor/pad contact is impossible.

IMO too much lever travel via larger caliper/MC ratio decreases braking control. Not enough 'feedback' IMO. I prefer a firm lever. Not too firm but firm.

Personally, I wouldn't own and ride a bike regularly that has ATE swinging calipers but if I did I would start improving the setup with a handlebar mounted MC and steel braided lines. That stock MC setup is somehow the worst of two worlds combined.

supershaft screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 03:57 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer: 295
I'm using the new EBC "V" pads on my /6 and they work quite well. I'm using the stock MC with an SS line. Carefull caliper alighment is also a large factor.

Per EBC:
*Material Code - E391Material Description*Semi Sintered CopperNominal Friction - 0.41****DescriptionE391 is an asbestos free, organic, moulded friction material designed for use in heavy duty and off-highway motorcycle applications. 30% copper by weight added makes this a high copper pad close to sintered durability levels. It has a medium-high coefficient of friction (μ) which retains a highly effective braking performance over a wide range of operating temperatures. This material offers stable braking with minimal pad and rotor wear, and minimal dusting of wheels.*ApplicationHeavy duty long life organic material for heavier touring bikes. Being a semi-sintered pad containing 30% copper by weight, the V-pad combines the benefits of the “feel” of an organic pad plus the low heat generation and rotor galling features that organics have with the lifetime of a sintered pad.Wear Rate/Projected Street Miles - 0.75 grammes eq. to 42,800 milesTÜV German Approved Matl with KBA No. - 60995Design Conditions -Max. continuous temperature 400°C*Max. intermittent temperature 600°CPhysical Properties- Min. assembly shear strength, 400 N/cm2, Density, 2.98 g/cm3
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz View Post
I'm using the new EBC "V" pads on my /6 and they work quite well. I'm using the stock MC with an SS line. Carefull caliper alighment is also a large factor.

Per EBC:
*Material Code - E391Material Description*Semi Sintered CopperNominal Friction - 0.41****DescriptionE391 is an asbestos free, organic, moulded friction material designed for use in heavy duty and off-highway motorcycle applications. 30% copper by weight added makes this a high copper pad close to sintered durability levels. It has a medium-high coefficient of friction (μ) which retains a highly effective braking performance over a wide range of operating temperatures. This material offers stable braking with minimal pad and rotor wear, and minimal dusting of wheels.*ApplicationHeavy duty long life organic material for heavier touring bikes. Being a semi-sintered pad containing 30% copper by weight, the V-pad combines the benefits of the “feel” of an organic pad plus the low heat generation and rotor galling features that organics have with the lifetime of a sintered pad.Wear Rate/Projected Street Miles - 0.75 grammes eq. to 42,800 milesTÜV German Approved Matl with KBA No. - 60995Design Conditions -Max. continuous temperature 400°C*Max. intermittent temperature 600°CPhysical Properties- Min. assembly shear strength, 400 N/cm2, Density, 2.98 g/cm3
Comparing the EBC 'V' pads to their organic kevlar pads, it seems the kevlar have the same or a slightly higher coefficient of friction: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_...ds/index.shtml

The HH pads have significantly higher friction, but doubt my airhead will ever see them: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_...double-h.shtml

As part of my quest, the EBC 'V' pad were ordered. However, much like battling windmills, I somewhat doubt they will provide satisfaction. Spending more time tinkering with the ATE pivot is still an option. However, I found that the pivot does not lock, so any 'fine tuning' adjustments will change as the pivot rotates slightly when the brake is applied hard. All things considered, the brakes do work with three fingered braking.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote