Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
duck OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
12V 15W LED CREE Aux Lights - Anybody here have them?

These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-15W-LED-...c91aa3&vxp=mtr

They look like a good bang for the buck conspicuity light. My question is can the handlebar clamp be removed and replaced with a DIY bracket for mounting them differently?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
There's lots of different ones. I'm curious how they are too. I don't know if they allow you to see any better at night, or just allow you to be seen better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Motor...658004&vxp=mtr
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
2allbuyer on ebay has a number of led lights with different mounting options for sale on ebay.... look very much like the lights that sanjoh sells here in the vendor section

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
2allbuyer on ebay has a number of led lights with different mounting options for sale on ebay.... look very much like the lights that sanjoh sells here in the vendor section
I've bought the lights from that ebay vendor, with the longer housing that have been seen here, and he's extremely good to deal with. IIRC I got mine for about 90 for the pair delivered to Canada. He has them in different configurations (watts/.led's etc) as the rest of the people that sell that Chinese made product.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
There's lots of different ones. I'm curious how they are too. I don't know if they allow you to see any better at night, or just allow you to be seen better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Motor...658004&vxp=mtr

I had a pair of these in red. They are very directional. I know led's are directional but these were near useless unless seen from exactly the right angle.
The OP choice would be better and there are several available up to 3000 lumens from different ebay sources.
nbsdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
These: pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2579c91aa3&vxp=mtr

They look like a good bang for the buck conspicuity light. My question is can the handlebar clamp be removed and replaced with a DIY bracket for mounting them differently?
This looks like the same clamp that comes on the "Sanjoh" Chicom LED lights. The clamp can be removed. The clamps that came with mine are too small to mount on the bike anyways, unless to a handlebar upper crossbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
I have a set of these - I believe all of these are from the same source in China. There have been many Ebay sellers of these along with a couple of folks in the Vendors section selling these same lights.

I've been running a pair on my Husky and they work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
I had a pair of these in red. They are very directional. I know led's are directional but these were near useless unless seen from exactly the right angle.
The OP choice would be better and there are several available up to 3000 lumens from different ebay sources.
I believe the add states these as a "spot" pattern, which would mean they should be very directional. For the price, it would be interesting to find out how they perform!

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
What are CREE lights?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Klaun View Post
This looks like the same clamp that comes on the "Sanjoh" Chicom LED lights. The clamp can be removed. The clamps that came with mine are too small to mount on the bike anyways, unless to a handlebar upper crossbar.

I have a set of these - I believe all of these are from the same source in China. There have been many Ebay sellers of these along with a couple of folks in the Vendors section selling these same lights.

I've been running a pair on my Husky and they work well.

I believe the add states these as a "spot" pattern, which would mean they should be very directional. For the price, it would be interesting to find out how they perform!

Matt, my post refers to the lights in the quote to which I replied, not the ones to which you refer
I stand by my observation on the lights I referenced.
Whether spot or flood, led's are directional- spot/flood is the beam pattern, not the ability of the light to be seen from side angles.
That is not a big deal if the lights are used to provide visibility for the rider. it is a huge deal if the led's are being used to be seen by others, especially brake and to some degree, running lights.

nbsdave screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 04:51 AM Reason: correct
nbsdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
What are CREE lights?
CREE is a type of LED emitter. The problem is there are several versions of it....and it makes a dramatic difference in both the amount of light the emitter is capabale of putting as well as the amount of heat it puts out in relation to the amount of light produced (efficiency)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,178
Drake,

I think Gwen has them on the shop whore. Get in touch with da' woman.

John
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-15W-LED-...c91aa3&vxp=mtr

I have been planning to switch from incandescent anyway, so I decided to give these a go.

Long story is that I have multiple bikes. I ride year round to work. I get off of work at 1am. So riding home with the deer and the drunks is a challenge.
Two years ago I converted my two main bikes to HID with kits from DDMTuming. The H4 hi/Lows are great. The shield makes the low pattern perfect and not blinding to oncoming traffic, yet the high gives me much more range. It went from about 9 seconds ahead at 45MPH, to about 18 seconds ahead.
I have always run driving lights for daytime conspicuity and to help at night. On one bike, I run cheap 35 watt spots (weak alternator). These work fine for daytime conspicuity but were not much help at night for distance even though they are spot lights. On the other bike I had 55 watt flood lights. Those also worked well for daytime conspicuity, but because of the broad pattern, did little for nighttime distance.

I have been putting off converting to LED auxiliary lights for two reasons. One, they are too bright to just leave on during the day, so I need a dimmer for them. And two, they have been stupid expensive.

Well, I had been working on a dimmer, one that would run them at a low intensity when other traffic is around, and would automatically crank them to full blast when I go to high beam. I just completed the design and build for that, so I ordered some LED lights.

I ordered these a couple of weeks ago for the bike with the flood lamps:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00
27 watt with a 30 degree spot pattern. The reality is that it measures closer to 21 watts. I ran a 4 hour test with no air movement, and it does not over heat. The pattern is exactly what I want, a fairly bright spot with what looks like a bit more then 30 degrees, and enough light scatter to cover the sides of the road. They work with my home brewed dimmer and I'm happy with the results. As for reliability, that will take a year to find out. The thing is built like a rock though. And I can't see any way for water to get in.

I wanted something significantly smaller for the other bike. Not a lot of good mounting options on it. So when I saw these, I ordered them (in the white LED version). Yes, the mounting bracket can be removed. That actually run at about 8 watts, not 15 as claimed. But then, at 8 watts for about 1 hour, they get very hot if there is no air movement, so I'm not sure much more wattage would be a good idea in that small package anyway. They are built somewhat poorly, but then for $23 I had low expectations. What is a bit of a problem though is that they are a VERY narrow spot. Much narrower then the 30 degrees on the other lights that I got. I haven't installed them permanently yet, as I need to build another dimmer, but the pencil thin beam will reach WAY out, if properly aligned. I may put a slightly frosted cover over it to scatter some light, or not. They also don't have enough water protection. Water can enter into the housing around the bolt easily, and not get out. So I could envision a housing full of water. The electronics has sealant on it, but I wouldn't want it to float in water as it is now designed. If you get these, plan to spend time water proofing it, or expect a short life.

I'll report again after a few months.

worwig screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:37 AM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote