ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
RGregor OP
User Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bavaria
Oddometer: 437
Waterhead-video

Not the right forum, but ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/bmwmotorrad?feature=watch
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,510
hmmmm, so everyone that had a hand in the design of the new one, actually ride airheads? kinda makes ya wonder.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert
 
disston's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Silver Spring, Md
Oddometer: 8,993
The video is cool. It has lotsa shots of Airheads in it. Of course the heritage of the new is the old. Nice of them to explain it. Still doesn't mean I want a new one.

Machines today run cleaner and make more power. They are also built by other machines more than built by human hands. Tomorrow the machines will drive themselves and they won't need us at all.
__________________
.
Never memorize something you can look up.
---Albert Einstein

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 3,047
Sorry but I have to be the one that says that video is idiotic.
For being BMW motorrad, they sure get a lot of facts about their old GS' wrong.

I also don't buy into professional riders running a fat pig around dirt like everyone who buys the bike can do that. It doesn't make the bike any less of a pig.
__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Mugwest
.
 
Mugwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: 3rd Ring of Buzztopia
Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
For being BMW motorrad, they sure get a lot of facts about their old GS' wrong.
Huh?

I went through the promo 2x today and didn't see anything historically/factually Off.

PS: a bucket of chum on yall's heads for not mentioning the pristine Bus pulling dude's GS and Big Wheel GS for the kid

We Vanagon/Bus freaks have to get our props where we can
__________________
.
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
airhead_irl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Ireland (Irlande, Eire, Irland, Hibernia)
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Huh?

I went through the promo 2x today and didn't see anything historically/factually Off.

PS: a bucket of chum on yall's heads for not mentioning the pristine Bus pulling dude's GS and Big Wheel GS for the kid

We Vanagon/Bus freaks have to get our props where we can
I actually did silently note to myself that the first guy loves all things boxer (the aircooled Type 2 and the green Beetle) !
__________________
1973 BMW R60/5
1982 BMW R100
1991 BMW R100GS
1987 Moto Guzzi NTX 650
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
meijer's trails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The video is cool. It has lotsa shots of Airheads in it. Of course the heritage of the new is the old. Nice of them to explain it. Still doesn't mean I want a new one.

Machines today run cleaner and make more power. They are also built by other machines more than built by human hands. Tomorrow the machines will drive themselves and they won't need us at all.
Thou shall not build a machine with the likeness of a human mind!
Hasn't anyone ever read Dune ?!? The machines will enslave humanity!

Were the developers chosen because they love airhead g-esses, for real or As propaganda?
So bmw could claim that. Or they are great developers and they still think the airhead cannot be topped?
I hope its the latter.
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
ozmoses
Ride On
 
ozmoses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Oddometer: 3,111
Doesn't seem as though the Wasserkopf is "Simple by Choice" or design!
__________________
Opinions are like internet connections- everybody has one.
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Doesn't seem as though the Wasserkopf is "Simple by Choice" or design!
complex by committee!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
wmax351
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Marin County and Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 743
Apparently they made a water-cooled boxer prototype in the late 80s. Was very powerful. Abandoned it, because the main advantage of a boxer twin is exceptional air cooling and decent balance.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,569
I kinda got lost halfway thru - must have been all the 2 second motion clips joined together - did the bug eyed alien end up eating all the 2-language-speaking-at-one-time-humans ?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: London
Oddometer: 1,271
That thing's a monster!

I want Laszlo's bike...
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
I want Laszlo's bike...
Laszlo's hpn does look pretty sweet. I definitely paused the video in a few spots to ogle it. I didn't come out of that video wanting a waterhead at all. For me, that video really just validated my choice of ride in that all the guys designing the oilheads and new waterheads, who clearly don't have to pay anywhere close to retail for a brand new state of the art bike, still choose to ride airheads instead. That's cool. If anything that video did more to sell airheads than the new waterhead.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 7,318
This brought to you by the same people who have a Honda CBX-clone as their current superbike?

Darkside. Definitely gone over to the Darkside.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: London
Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Laszlo's hpn does look pretty sweet. I definitely paused the video in a few spots to ogle it. I didn't come out of that video wanting a waterhead at all. For me, that video really just validated my choice of ride in that all the guys designing the oilheads and new waterheads, who clearly don't have to pay anywhere close to retail for a brand new state of the art bike, still choose to ride airheads instead. That's cool. If anything that video did more to sell airheads than the new waterhead.
Exactly. Learn anything from your ogling? I'm trying to perv at it frame-by-frame to figure out swingarm and exhaust - 1150 and SGS2?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014