User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
jckid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
75 Year old to Hyder, Alaska

Riding to Alaska has been in the back of my mind for several years. My riding partner just turned 75, so there seems like no better time than the present. But after sitting down and really starting to seriously think about this, it seems that riding from SoCal to Deadhorse, AK, or even Ankorage is not really an option at this point, due to time constraints. At 75, he is as fit and healthly as a 55 year old, and not retired yet. He can probably take 18-20 days to make this trip. We travel at a leisurely pace and don't like to put in more than 300 miles a day. Given that, riding from southern Oregon to Hyder, AK (around 3,000 miles) and back seems like the most realistic possibility at this point.

So I guess my main question is...is it worth the trip to Alaska if we only go as far as Hyder? Our primary goal would be to travel though beautiful places, taking time to "smell the roses", and experience true Alaska. We would be interested in doing short hikes to see interesting sights. We want to see a glacier up close, and I know there is one within 20 miles of Hyder. We want to camp in beautiful places, stop in quaint towns, etc.

If you've done this trip, or are familiar with the area and sights along the way, tell me what you think. Pics and suggested routes and places of interest would be nice to see and hear about. And tell me if riding just to Hyder would be worth the trip. I would love to do the whole ride to Deadhorse one day, but at 75, it's not like my riding partner can put this trip off for ten years. It seems like now is the time to make the dream of riding to Alaska a reality.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
IMHO, at 75 your buddy needs to reschedule his time and take whatever time off necessary to do the "bucket list" ride of a lifetime. 4 weeks minimum, 5-6 for leisurly pace and stay a few days here and there for rest days.
Yes Hyder or Watson Lake or Valdez would be terrific destinations.
Ride as far as you can in alotted time and turn around.
There is also the BC Ferry system that might cut a few days off trip? Never tried it cause the ride is too good.
http://www.bcferries.com/
We're heading out about June 10 for my 3rd trip so YES it's worth the time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=doug+dawson
Amazing scenery and you'll meet great people on/along the way.
Order a copy of the Milepost for info on everything Alaska and it has great maps.
http://www.amazon.com/Milepost-2012-.../dp/1892154293
If I'm around, stop by for a glass of wine.
www.visitlodi.com

Safe Travels

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
i say screw and just ride up ..alaska! all the way up to at least anchorage maybe. stay off the Haul road

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Do go to Hyder. You will get a great sampler of
the mountains and spectacular glacier scenery in
a relatively compact area without needing to ride as far
north as the main body of AK. The panhandle is truly AK
too.
And you must ride the 30km of good gravel road
north of Hyder to see the spectacular Canadian glaciers
there, a good day tour from Hyder AK and StewartBC
It is great that your friend is still active, agile and
working at 75 but he has now earned the right to
take whatever vacation time he might want to complete
this or any other trip. Work is fine but keep it all in
perspective . Nobody is indispensable , if he goes on vacation
or kicks the bucket the planet will still stay obliviously
in its orbit, rotating at it s same rate.
Now is the time for enjoying things , when you still
can . Go.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Hyder is a nice ride and you will see a mini version of Alaska. Go when the salmon are running and you can watch the bears catch them as well as the eagles sweep down and catch them.

The ride to Salmon Glacier on the gravel road north of Hyder is well worth the trip. It is as spectacular as anything else you will see in the rest of Alaska.

If time permits a loop through Jasper, Alberta, and then over to Hyder and back down again is well worth the ride.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 952
I agree. Hyder is worth the ride. Hyder is a fun town in a very scenic area.
Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
jckid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I have passed them all on to my riding partner. We'll see what he decides. I'm glad to hear that it will be worth the ride to Hyder to experience Alaska. I actually had an uncle that lived (and unfortunately died) in Hyder, AK. I was always interested to see where he lived, because I always admired his free spirit. So hopefully this trip will get off the ground and turn into a ride report.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
If you get as far as Hyder you should or must go up the Cassier Highway #37. It is by far the best highway so to speak for wildlife sightings....I've done it twice now and I give up counting bears and the like......so many!!!
The rest you seem to have a good handle on.....Salmon Glacier is a must see and if you are timed right, the bears fishing.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
jckid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So when is the best time to see the bears fishing? We're thinking of doing this trip during July, but June and August are also possibilies. We were thinking June might be too early with too many mosquitos.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
We got there a week too early last year I believe, it was the last week in June.......google it there is loads of info about the bears in Steward fish.....

here ya go....I was even wrong with my guesstimate....lol...

http://www.hellobc.com/stewart/things-to-do.aspx

Enjoy!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

I have found that later in July seems to be the best time to see the bears. I was there last year the last week of July and saw several bears. I was there in early July several years ago and the salmon run had just started.

The only problem you will have if you get him to go is he will want to go back the next year to see more.

I think you should refer to him as 75 years young.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
For sure do Hyder. You can make the ride up amazing also by going through Banff and up the Ice Fields Parkway, then go West on 16/Yellowtrail until you hit 37/Cassier, then you head north to Hyder/Stewart. If you go up into Canada north of Sandpoint Idaho you can take a route that will run you along the west side of Lake Kootenay, then up and around the lake and back to Banff to the Ice Fields parkway. From US 95 at the Eastport, ID border crossing you get to Canada 3 and then 3A and follow the lake. Couple of ferry rides.......just awesome, sad I missed it the first time. PM inmate Fighter, he hangs out in the AK regional forum, he can give you the low down on the route. I had that has an alternate possibility for my trip in 2011, when I go back in 2014 it will be taken. I went in July, no bears fishing :(.

FLARider1 screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 02:57 AM
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
For sure do Hyder. You make the ride up amazing also by going through Banff and up the Ice Fields Parkway, then go West on 16/Yellowtrail until you hit 37/Cassier, then you head north to Hyder/Stewart. If you go up into Canada north of Sandpoint Idaho you can take a route the will run you along the west side of Lake Kootenay, then up and around the lake and back to Banff to the Ice Fields parkway. From US 95 at the Eastport, ID border crossing you get to Canada 3 and then 3A and follow the lake. Couple of ferry rides.......just awesome, sad I missed it the first time. PM inmate Fighter, he hangs out in the AK regional forum, he can give you the low down on the route.I had that has an alternate possibility for my trip in 2011, when I go back in 2014 it will be taken. I went in July, no bears fishing :(.
That is an excellent route. I do a weekend ride around Lake Kootenay all the time. Those are the best motorcycle roads in Canada.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
That is an excellent route. I do a weekend ride around Lake Kootenay all the time. Those are the best motorcycle roads in Canada.
my buddy did it on his trip in 2011, for some stupid reason I didn't, had it all loaded into the GPS. Kicking myself later for not doing it!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,272
If at all possible do a loop that includes the Canadian Icefields Parkway between Banf & Jasper, spend a day or so in Jasper, over to Hyder, and the Sea to Sky Highway into Vancouver.