User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
BuffaloRunner OP
Gone to Baja

Oddometer: 16
Slime- whats your experience?

To deal with the ongoing saga of running tubed tires in my F8GS I poured 16oz of slime in each tire. Thats what the bottle recommends. I have yet to have a flat with them so I can't speak to their effectiveness.

Has anyone else used Slime in their tires? How much? How effective?

I've also heard you don't need to balance a tire with the proper level of slime in it? Anyone know the truth to this urban legend?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloRunner View Post
To deal with the ongoing saga of running tubed tires in my F8GS I poured 16oz of slime in each tire. Thats what the bottle recommends. I have yet to have a flat with them so I can't speak to their effectiveness.

Has anyone else used Slime in their tires? How much? How effective?

I've also heard you don't need to balance a tire with the proper level of slime in it? Anyone know the truth to this urban legend?
Slime in a tube just makes a huge mess when you manage to get a flat. Plus, you can't patch the tube due to it being covered in goo.

I did it once, never again.

As for balancing a tire, it will run to the place that is the furthest out from the axis of rotation, not necessarily the light spot in the tire, which can make an out of balance condition worse. Just do it right the first time and use a few weights.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Fuzzy Wrench
Pick Your Tool

Oddometer: 5
Slime won't work with a tube since it flows out the puncture into the tire and...makes a mess inside for when you have to install a patch..Would work better with tubeless..
Fuzzy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
My experience is old. It worked well, maybe too well.

I remember changing one rear and the tube turned out to be riddled with holes, and it'd glued itself to the carcase and couldn't be removed separately. Probably leaked a bit, but not to the point of being unridable.

So, yes, it works with tubes, that's where it's normally used in fact (bicycle tubes). If you want to give yourself a decent chance of not having to field change a tube, it's probably the only option that'll handle road speeds.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Zoolion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
My edxperience is about the same

Dont do it. It just makes a huge mess.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Slime is an opposing force to my tire pressure sensors
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
jasiebol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I tried it once, it was fine going slow but when you got up to 45-50 mph it all went to one side of the tire and was way out of balence. Maybe i put to much in
jasiebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,686
+1 for messy. I bought a used XR650R and was unaware that the PO had Slimed the front tube. I am guessing it was an old tube, and the tire on the front was OE. One day when I was getting ready to ride, I topped up the front tire and noticed something green, much like antifreeze between the tread blocks on the front tire. It turned out to be Slime that had oozed out from around the metal valve stem, where it was bonded to the tube, and, in turn, oozed out through cracks in the old tire near the knobs.

I did not ride that day, given the obviously bad tube and tire combination. It made for a hell of a mess to get off the wheel when I replaced the tire and tube.

FWIW, there are two different grades of Slime, one for tubeless tires and one for tube-type.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
dattaway
yeehaw!

Oddometer: 26
I didn't mind the green slime. But for a non-flammable substance, I was impressed that it peeled all the paint away. The paint flakes were fun to clean off my garage floor.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Had it in a front tube for a few weeks until I decided to change it. Worked fine but the again I never take my klr above 55 anyway. Had a very slow leak even with slime but only did that when sitting and it hooped to the bottom of the tire instead of staying near the hole
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
it works great in my bicycles but havent used in the motorcycles.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
it wont fix tears put it will stop pin holes from thorns . im running it on my front 21 inch k60 . its enough to slow a good leak down and buy me time to get a fix .

It also saved my riding partner frome a tear down on the freeway in the middle of the freezing night . Just remember there is 2 types of slime for tubed and non tubed tires ...

But it aint a miracle worker .. if its torn ..tube has to be replaced ...
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
BuffaloRunner OP
Gone to Baja

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like its about 50/50 on using it, understanding that its only for smaller punctures.

I'll update when I have a flat. Hopefully that will take a while.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #14
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like its about 50/50 on using it, understanding that its only for smaller punctures.

Nope, the rear I changed had half inch slashes in the tube - when I wrote 'riddled with holes' I meant it. Thing is, I was using it on a bike that had a top speed of 127kph, down hill , with a tail wind. I'm not sure I'd be so happy using it on anything faster.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:

Yes but several of those 50/50 are from Northern states where there are no prickly pear, ocotillo and mesquite thorns. All of us run it down in Southern NM or you would be changing tires constantly down here. Patches don't work on thorn penetration punctures.....5 miles later you just have a pinhole next to your patch! Who cares if it is messy? Change the tire and tube and toss it. If you don't like it there are several other brands to try. The last rear tube I changed had 5 thorn holes in it. Would you put on 5 patches? It will seal a hole as big as your valve stem (it tries to if you do not clear it with a QTip). If you don't use it in our desert bring tire spoons,a good pump, a gross of patches and patient riding buddies.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote