User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
pfreak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Lampf fault

Last night when I cranked up my bike to head home I got a lampf fault. It was dark and my dim was out. I drove to the nearest auto retail store (hopefully not blinding everyone with my high beam) and picked up a bulb. In the parking lot I was able to replace the bulb in about 5 minutes and no tools were needed. Man I love the maintenance on these bikes.

Just thought I would share a good repair experience,
Pfreak
pfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,431
Congratulations, but changing a light bulb is easy as pie, what took you so long?
There's guys on here that can patch a tire in the mud and rain in less time that that.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
pfreak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Congratulations, but changing a light bulb is easy as pie, what took you so long?
There's guys on here that can patch a tire in the mud and rain in less time that that.
Yep, that is what I was saying easy as pie.
pfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
And this year's award for "Biggest Debbie Downer" goes to this guy ^^^^^

OP,
Im new to my BMW as well and I am pleased to hear first hand that these bikes aren't as scary as others would like you to believe. Thank you for sharing!
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Always carry a spare

Someone once said "the GS eats headlight bulbs like popcorn"' and after owning one for over a year, I have to agree.

Buy a two-pack of bulbs and keep one with the bike. One of two things will happen: Either you'll have a spare, or you'll never need to use it because you have a spare :)
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
Someone once said "the GS eats headlight bulbs like popcorn"' and after owning one for over a year, I have to agree.

Buy a two-pack of bulbs and keep one with the bike. One of two things will happen: Either you'll have a spare, or you'll never need to use it because you have a spare :)

Gone through two in less than a year, totally agree!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,232
The higher the output on a H7, the shorter the life.

I don't ride a lot in the dark here in TX, too many forest rats willing to shorten you ride. Lights on my motos are mainly for me to be seen. The standard H7 and a pair of H3 55w aux lights do this job nicely, I carry a spare of each.

I have in a pinch, pulled my high beam out and stuck it in the low beam bucket until I could get to a replacement.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
viperh
StormChaser

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
The higher the output on a H7, the shorter the life.

I don't ride a lot in the dark here in TX, too many forest rats willing to shorten you ride. Lights on my motos are mainly for me to be seen. The standard H7 and a pair of H3 55w aux lights do this job nicely, I carry a spare of each.

I have in a pinch, pulled my high beam out and stuck it in the low beam bucket until I could get to a replacement.

Why not just flip on the highbeam switch?
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperh View Post
Why not just flip on the highbeam switch?
Coz I'm not that big of a prick?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Undermoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Eek Be careful!

I changed my bulbs when I first got my r1200gs for whiter light. Took about 5 minutes.

Several months later one blew so went to change it, couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was takin so long to get the clip back in place, 45 minutes later...

The next time I was at the dealer I asked them about it, they took one look and told me I cracked the housing near the screw and the part was $500 bucks. There are 3rd party fixes most people do to spare them the cost however.

I told my dealer to try to warranty it, they said they could try but what usually happens is BMW requires the part be shipped to them, denies the claim, then destroys the part so the customer ends up eating the $500 plus installation $$$.

I got lucky as the BMW rep who has authority to approve the warranty repair showed up at the dealer and OK'd mine, but the dealer said he had one three weeks prior that was denied.
Undermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
I changed my bulbs when I first got my r1200gs for whiter light. Took about 5 minutes.

Several months later one blew so went to change it, couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was takin so long to get the clip back in place, 45 minutes later...

The next time I was at the dealer I asked them about it, they took one look and told me I cracked the housing near the screw and the part was $500 bucks. There are 3rd party fixes most people do to spare them the cost however.

I told my dealer to try to warranty it, they said they could try but what usually happens is BMW requires the part be shipped to them, denies the claim, then destroys the part so the customer ends up eating the $500 plus installation $$$.

I got lucky as the BMW rep who has authority to approve the warranty repair showed up at the dealer and OK'd mine, but the dealer said he had one three weeks prior that was denied.
That reflector plastic is brittle as hell. I broke both of my little retaining tits off ...ended up putting a big washer on that screw. IT IS very difficult to get a big hand in there without removing the headlight assemblt totally.
Those "brighter" bulbs are known to burn out (break the filament) quicker. I've gone thru 3 sylvania ultra's in 2 weeks on my VFR. My answer was to convert to HID!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post

Had the same problem. I simply made a hinge out of some saftey wire and used the screw to hold it in place. Better then new and cost next to nothing.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

After chasing that stupit f'n clip around inside the f'n light bucket, in the f'n dark with my f'n fat fingers, I made this mod.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
After chasing that stupit f'n clip around inside the f'n light bucket, in the f'n dark with my f'n fat fingers, I made this mod.

Same mod here. It seemed it didn't matter what type of bulb I used, I had to replace it every 9-10K miles. I finally splurged on a thirty something dollar HID bulb upgrade last year, it has been around 5K miles, so far so good. Hopefully I won't have to mess with that damn clip for a few years.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,010
It took me longer to figure out what "lampf" was that to change the light. Two days and than 10 minutes to change the light. No issues with the clip.