User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
tar356 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
18" rear wheel on a R1100GS

I've searched and found info regarding 18" rears on the later bikes, but is anyone out there using an 18" rear on an 1100GS?

Any pics or info would be great!

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
tar356 OP
Adventurer

I'm sure someone out there has made the swap???
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
gaspipe had one on his "Prince of Darkness" bike with the carbs and KTM front end.

I tried to get an 18" rear made by Woody's and they wouldn't do it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
tar356 OP
Adventurer

Seems odd...why wouldn't they?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,501
Just trying to be helpful ...

Tar, hi!

If the 18 inch wheel you're referring to is the RT three spoke wheel, than yes, I can help.

My bikes are a 1996 R1100RT and a 1994 R1100GS. The RT has the three spoke 18 inch wheel on the back, the GS has the 17 inch.

At some point in time I had acquired a used RT 18 inch rear wheel as a spare, with pretty decent rubber on it. Considering that my GS was being ridden 20,000 miles a year, and the RT was parked most of the time, this great idea of using the RT rear wheel popped into my head. That way there could be a wheel and tire already mounted, making a quick switch quick. Plus there were a couple of spare 18 inch tires laying around.

Comparing the 18 and the 17, it was obvious that the brake rotors weren't the same, nor were they mounted the same. The RT 18 rotor is mounted to the final drive, and the 17 rotor is mounted to the wheel.

After a few months I found someone with a used RT rear rotor that would mount to the final drive (hub), and the important thing, they had the shim. You see the 18 inch rear wheel has a different offset, or some would call it dish, than the 17 inch rear.

Once having the 18 inch rotor that mounted differently and the shim, they all bolted up to the GS without an issue. There actually were two countersunk bolts that attached the rotor to the final drive. In the illustration below, they show one of those bolts going into the lug bolt hole. That's wrong, the countersunk bolts go into the two little holes that you can see. Pretty easy to mount.

Actually, I checked the 18 inch wheel on the bike, but as I recall the tire was either rubbing or extremely close to the paralever up front on the right side. There wasn't any tolerance issues without the shim, that come to mind for me, around the brakes or calipers. I could be wrong, but nothing jumps out at me.

Believe it or not, my miles per gallon improved by one or two miles. The bike sits just a hair taller, not that it's really noticeable.

As mentioned, if you're planning to use the 18 inch cast wheel from an RT than hopefully the above helped. If your plan is to have Woody or someone make a custom 18 inch spoked wheel, than please disregard all of the above!

Did all that make sense, and was it helpful?

Enjoy,

Liz

PS: Do you have ABS? One thing that wasn't an issue for me was ABS, because the GS doesn't have ABS.

R1100GS Rear Rotor

R1100GS Rear hub 17 inch spoked wheel

R1100RT Rear Rotor - Cast three spoke 18 inch wheel

R1100RT Rear 18 inch cast rear wheel (number 2 is the shim)

MsLizVt screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 12:33 AM
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,483
I remember from the build that Gaspipe started, that he removed some material from the paralever shock mount, nut much but it gave him a little extra clearance.
I think he was using a Michelin Desert and it was close fit and grew at speed.
His thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69015
was this one. Towards the end it got hijacked and he stopped posting about it. That was a downer.
you will have to trawl through the thread for the bit about where he removed some material. my search skills are not that good, maybe MsLiz can help there - she is the queen of searches I heard.....

Also, from what MsLiz posted, that explains the other threaded holes in the drive hub, for the disk on other models.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,501
Teamwork ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
I remember from the build that Gaspipe started, that he removed some material from the paralever shock mount, nut much but it gave him a little extra clearance.
I think he was using a Michelin Desert and it was close fit and grew at speed.
His thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69015
was this one. Towards the end it got hijacked and he stopped posting about it. That was a downer.
you will have to trawl through the thread for the bit about where he removed some material. my search skills are not that good, maybe MsLiz can help there - she is the queen of searches I heard.....

Also, from what MsLiz posted, that explains the other threaded holes in the drive hub, for the disk on other models.

Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe, Hey!

Thanks for the compliment. Here's the post that GasPipe made about his rear wheel, in the thread above.

Enjoy,

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
I had a little time last night to make this a roller again, for the first time in a couple months.

The front wheel is a 21 x 1.85 Sun, stainless spokes, with a 90/90 x 21" TKC80 - freshly shod today. The front disc has been properly spaced and the disc mounted.

The rear wheel is a 18 x 3.5 Sun, stainless spokes, with a 140/80 x 18 TKC80. I have a MAP rear torque link [thanks to Jim Rowley of MAP Engineering] which will raise the rear about 1/2" or so, and it straightens out the kink between the rear drive and the Paralever. It is a beefy CNC'd slab of aluminum, and is a worthy addition to *ANY* 11xx GS.

The 18" rear requires machining about .25" off the rear shock lug for the tire to fit, and leave what I consider sufficient clearance for the carcass to grow at speed.

Still a lot to do, but most of the real precision machining is done, with the exception of the caliper hanger. That's the next item to tackle.

The bike is so tall now, the centerstand has to be shimmed up with 2" of planks. The sidestand will need a 4" piece of steel rod sectioned into it to work again.

Stay tuned......
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,483
ha, I knew you would find it - Search Queen Liz!
didn't remember about the longer torque link he installed

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote