Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
gatorjos OP
Minsk afficionado

Oddometer: 13
Oh boy, 1977 R/100 barn find

Hey guys and girls,

I found an abandoned R100/7 sitting at a buddy's shop. It looks like the last time this guy was operated was back in 2006. The carbs are hanging off the side, but the cylinders seem to make compression, and the transmission shifts. Engine has oil in it, and the gas tank is not too rusty...

I'm thinking about picking this poor baby up, and getting her running again, possibly doing a GS conversion on it.

Does anyone know how to do a title search online for it? It doesn't have a VIN due to the age...

Thanks!
gatorjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
The serial number that's on the right side of the steering neck and the engine (at the dipstick) is used as the VIN. (those numbers should match)

The numbers on the '77 are from 6140001- 6142451

Not sure of the rules in CA for claiming ownership. Up here, you just sign an affidavit, and usually, it's pretty easy. (Then they issue you a new ownership.)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
The serial number that's on the right side of the steering neck and the engine (at the dipstick) is used as the VIN. (those numbers should match)

The numbers on the '77 are from 6140001- 6142451

Great find. Get it running and ride. I'm just going to leave my '78 as is.

Hate to hijack, but how do I get the above numbers in the quote for my '78 R80/7 ? Prefix is 612**** with build date of 8/77
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
Great find. Get it running and ride. I'm just going to leave my '78 as is.

Hate to hijack, but how do I get the above numbers in the quote for my '78 R80/7 ? Prefix is 612**** with build date of 8/77
I'm not sure of the build date, but the '78 R80/7 numbers are 6122501 - 6124909
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
My favorite is this link. http://bmbikes.co.uk/chassispages/enginechassis800.htm for the 800cc bikes. Pick another blue box on top for other displacements
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
groop
So much to ponder

CA DMV has bill of sale paperwork you and the seller can fill out to get a title. If it was registered in 2006 it is still in the system. Sure is wasn't registered non-op since then? Would make it easier, with no back fees. Canadabike is correct, the older VIN is there but it will be seven digits instead of the new format (17 digits).

groop screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 09:14 AM
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
gatorjos OP
Minsk afficionado

Yeah the chassis serial # falls in that range. I have been advised I can do a lien sale, and was recommended a lady who does it for $70, so I will prbly go ahead and do that. I would love to run the title history first for $20 or so to see if there isn't a $1000 worth of back fees on it. If it there is, it's probably not worth doing right? What's a parts bike like this worth?

Places like cyclechex need a full 17 character VIN...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

So just for interest, in CA you have to pay for the years the bike didn't have 'up to date' plate stickers or whatnot? That's insane. What if you want to put a vehicle away into storage?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
groop
So much to ponder

Quote:
So just for interest, in CA you have to pay for the years the bike didn't have 'up to date' plate stickers or whatnot? That's insane. What if you want to put a vehicle away into storage?
Yes, California is insane. Each year when you pay vehicle registration, you have two choices: full registration or non-operational status. Non-op, as we call it, is for vehicles undergoing restorations or in storage. Non-op costs a fraction of full registration but it keeps the vehicle 'in the system'. Vehicles that are sold where no registration fees have been paid are subject to back fees.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Yes, California is insane. Each year when you pay vehicle registration, you have two choices: full registration or non-operational status. Non-op, as we call it, is for vehicles undergoing restorations or in storage. Non-op costs a fraction of full registration but it keeps the vehicle 'in the system'. Vehicles that are sold where no registration fees have been paid are subject to back fees.
Can you retroactively declare that those years were in fact non-op status and pay the lower rate, or do they automatically make you pay those years as 'full' since the non-op Statius was never declared?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
groop
So much to ponder

Quote:
Can you retroactively declare that those years were in fact non-op status and pay the lower rate, or do they automatically make you pay those years as 'full' since the non-op Statius was never declared?
Don't know the answer to that entirely but it has something to do with whether or not the vehicle is no longer active in the DMV database. We call this 'out of the system'. Sometimes when perusing CL for old motorcycles sellers will make claims that "it's out to the system so no back fees". The actual time that it takes to actually get 'out of the system' is up for debate. So the best old bikes to find are the ones with the original license plates, that have been registered as non-op since these require the least amount of headache to get them registered and insured.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
gatorjos OP
Minsk afficionado

Ooh -- I just tried to "renew" the registration for the bike using the license plate (last registered in 2006), and the serial number, and the california DMV website says it is invalid information. I am hoping the bike is indeed out of the system. Think I'll mail my check to the lien sale lady (charges $50 not $70).

Stay tuned -- this may be the start of my restoration thread (or at least get 'er running thread).
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Listen carefully to the ones who tell stories of woe about California bikes that owe back registration fees.

But really, why would you want to turn a 1977 R100/7 into something it is not? A GS. If you want a GS buy a GS. I think it would be cheaper. I could see putting knobby tires or something on the /7 but I think calling it a GS involves a whole lot more. Maybe what you are thinking of is what I've seen called "dual sport".

There's lots of info and projects on Adv Rider about doing this to the Airhead bikes. Some of these look pretty good, the builders are talented and they have the tools and money for some extra work not seen everyday. But you should understand that the majority of these projects, after the spending of hundreds of dollars, is worth lest that the bike was in stock fashion.

Good Luck w/ it. I hope you get the bike. Try riding it the way it was built for a little while at least. Then the Old Farts like myself won't pick on you so much.

PS; What over bikes do you own or have owned?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Old man speaks truth. Do a rebuild thread. Get her going. Ride her some. That bike is fine just as it is.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
gatorjos OP
Minsk afficionado

My primary desire behind lifting it, is that I am 6'7". I would want to increase standover height and the foot peg to seat spacing somehow as well. I do mean dual sport -- no knobby tires for now... I would mostly plan to drive city with it, but perhaps some touring, and even fire roads eventually. Some of the projects I have seen on here inspired me to pursue this bike. If I can get it reliable for around $2k I would be pretty stoked. Pipe dream?

I've owned two Minsks that I rode through Vietnam and Cambodia, and I've restored two aircooled VWs. I would be leaning on my buddy who is a Honda CB expert to help get it running.