User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 955
Looking for a carry on bag

I'm sick of using my old MEC backpack as a carry on, time to upgrade to something a little....shinier.

Thinking of this:
http://www.filson.com/products/sport...bag.70266.html

the saddleback leather stuff looks pretty good but a little too pricey IMO.

Any of YFFs have something in carry on size requirements that you would recommend?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,327
$300 for a tiny bag?

I have a German military backpack I've been using for 18 years that cost maybe $30.
Lotsa cool buckles and straps!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
$300 for a tiny bag?

I have a German military backpack I've been using for 18 years that cost maybe $30.
Lotsa cool buckles and straps!
What year is your KLR?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I use my Chrome messenger bag.. A bit uncomfortable after a while if it's loaded down heavily, but with a light-to-medium load, I find it pretty comfortable. Same bag I use for class, as well as on the bike.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,613
The Filson bag is bomb proof you can't go wrong there with the exception of the spendy factor. You may also want to check Duluth Pack company and J W Hume (they make the Orvis canvas/leather luggage) they make awesome stuff as well. I have a Duluth Pack brief case that's close to 10 years old and aside from some scuffs and fading it's in fine shape.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,318
I have the Filson Field Bag (http://www.filson.com/products/field...taProduct=1019) though I didn't pay the new price. Good bag but the opening is a little small (intentionally). LOTS of compliments.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,489
I have a Swiss Gear back pack. Good zippers, well thought out in terms of pockets and strong. Has a padded spot for lap top, little pocket for an e-reader, another for your passport. It's big enough for a few days of clothes.

I think they label it as a computer back pack. I think amazon has them for around $60-70.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199

Looks nice, but it's also expensive. I was always taught to travel "under the radar", so to speak. That bag practically screams "steal me, I have expensive things". I guess it depends on where you travel, though.

I usually just use a cheap, small duffle. If it starts to tear or break, I can replace it cheap. Right now, I've got one of these. Small LLBean duffle bag, bright f**king yellow. Fully packed, I've carried: snowboarding jacket / pants / gloves / hat / goggles, 4 pairs of jeans, 10 T-shirts, 2 long sleeve button downs, toiletries, a 15" laptop (with charger), and a GoPro (with a few of the mounts). It's all about how you pack it. On top of looking fairly unassuming (and, I'm usually not well dressed either), it's also bright f**king yellow. Which is good, because you really can't loose sight of your bag.

To each their own, I guess. If you feel like spending $300 on a quality bag, go for it. Looks decent, no idea how much it holds though.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post

Looks nice, but it's also expensive. I was always taught to travel "under the radar", so to speak. That bag practically screams "steal me, I have expensive things". I guess it depends on where you travel, though.

I usually just use a cheap, small duffle. If it starts to tear or break, I can replace it cheap. Right now, I've got one of these. Small LLBean duffle bag, bright f**king yellow. Fully packed, I've carried: snowboarding jacket / pants / gloves / hat / goggles, 4 pairs of jeans, 10 T-shirts, 2 long sleeve button downs, toiletries, a 15" laptop (with charger), and a GoPro (with a few of the mounts). It's all about how you pack it. On top of looking fairly unassuming (and, I'm usually not well dressed either), it's also bright f**king yellow. Which is good, because you really can't loose sight of your bag.
I use that exact bag nearly every day for my change of clothes when I commute to work. We better not stand next to each other.

I wouldn't use it as a carry-on bag though...not anywhere close to the size limits. I prefer to max out the size limits...not that I have to pack that much...but if I needed to, I have the liberty to, and I'm much more likely to be able to avoid the baggage claim areas. The opening is also really friggin narrow to be stuffing so much into it.

Carry-on wise, I have two go-to bags. You're allowed to bring two...so I have two. One that fits just barely under seat, and one that fits, just barely, in the overhead compartment, and both fit within CONUS carry-on limitations. Tumi happens to be my version, but they all have options that work--hartmann, Samsonite, etc. I lean towards the travel-specific brands, because they generally figure out the needs as a whole system, not just single pieces

The Filson is pretty good for the under seat option. Nice wide opening. It could stand to be a hair bigger. Classic look. Army-Issue durability. True, you're paying for the brand, not the durability (Army issue is cheap). But screw it, it's a nice brand. If you can afford it, go for it.

The criteria for the overhead compartment bag is that it be wheeled, and can hang the under-seat one over the side so that the weight is balanced on the wheels, and I can all literally control it with one finger as I *sprint* to the gate, regardless of what I'm carrying. I can buy a dozen bottles of scotch at the duty free shop, and still move easily and quickly. The overhead one also has got to be built w/ nothing that could be easily destroyed on the outside if I had to check it. I've sent ski bags, and back packs through, and you'd be amazed how reckless those handlers/machines are at keeping loose ends attached.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 903
I have started using this for my overhead compartment / roller bag.

So far so good.

I like the packing sleeves that came with it and you can sit on it!

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 903
I posted before on the MAXPEDITION gear, they have a massive selection of stuff.

Along with a BOB (Maxpedition Condor II backpack) I keep in my truck.

I use this bag /case for everyday carry and business trips.

I don't think it's too man purse like!!

My SO say I have a bag issue

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
I travel for business a lot.....

...and I carry one bag and one bag only for flight travel up to two weeks long.

Go here: http://www.onebag.com/

This site will give you the philosophy on how and what to pack for light weight air travel.

Then go here and buy this: http://www.redoxx.com/air-boss/91018/product or buy this: http://www.redoxx.com/sky-train/91019/product

Thank me after your first trip.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 689
Duluth trading company makes a cool carry bag.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I use that exact bag nearly every day for my change of clothes when I commute to work. We better not stand next to each other.

I wouldn't use it as a carry-on bag though...not anywhere close to the size limits. I prefer to max out the size limits...

Carry-on wise, I have two go-to bags. You're allowed to bring two...so I have two. One that fits just barely under seat, and one that fits, just barely, in the overhead compartment, and both fit within CONUS carry-on limitations.
I'll take it you're military?

I just used it has my carry on last month for winter exodus. Packed to its limits, it actually did max out the carry on limitations (barely fit in the "if your bag fits in here..." things in the airport). First time using that bag traveling -- I usually use a small black duffle, that extends out. Can't for the life of me remember what brand it is, though.

Overall, impressed with that little L.L. Bean. It was tough enough, and proved to be somewhat water resistant (had to walk a half mile in the rain to catch a bus to the airport). With as much as I had in it, wheels would've been nice. I could carry it alright, but it was definitely heavy / bulky. Usually when flying, I have one carry on and one personal bag (usually a backpack, big enough to carry my laptop). Unfortunately my current backpack is camo, with "US ARMY" on it, and I was traveling OCONUS for leave. Couldn't identify myself as a government employee, so needless to say I couldn't bring my backpack with me. Damn regulations.

Thinking I might spend a little money on my next bag, and get one from here. And yes, those are real bags, and they do actually look like that in person. It'd be pretty damn easy to spot.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
I have an REI Tech Beast 65L Duffel that I use on short trips where I don't need a spare suit. Link : http://www.rei.com/product/844628/re...ast-65l-duffel
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: