User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
vintage tires

i am trying to decide on tires for my /5. are the Firestone vintage tires only for looks or do they ride fine as well? what other suggestions are there for a wider tire. i think a 4 on the front and a 4.5 on the rear. where are good places for these things on the interweb.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Avon Roadrider AM26

I went with the Avon Roadrider AM26 for my PROJECT-S

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=68

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=104

Have not ridden on them yet so no road report, but "soon" my PROJECT-S will be a runner...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=287

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
I went with the Avon Roadrider AM26 for my PROJECT-S

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=68

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=104

Have not ridden on them yet so no road report, but "soon" my PROJECT-S will be a runner...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=287

TINK

I had them on my RD. They were really great, and confidence inspiring when they were new. The front tire developed a weird wobble when there was still a lot of tread left. Something in the casing must have parted. Considering what they cost, I was pretty disappointed and when I replaced them, the back tire was pretty worn at that point, I got the BT45s. I'm pretty happy with them, but the sizing is very small. The 90/90/18 front tire I have on there now rides great, but looks like it belongs on a moped. If I were to do it again, I'd get a 100.

On my /5 i finally wore out the Lasertech that had been on it for years, and by the widespread recommendation on here, I got the Michelin Pilot Activ. VERY happy with it! I look forward to getting the rear to match.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I had them on my RD. They were really great, and confidence inspiring when they were new. The front tire developed a weird wobble when there was still a lot of tread left. Something in the casing must have parted. Considering what they cost, I was pretty disappointed and when I replaced them, the back tire was pretty worn at that point, I got the BT45s. I'm pretty happy with them, but the sizing is very small. The 90/90/18 front tire I have on there now rides great, but looks like it belongs on a moped. If I were to do it again, I'd get a 100.

On my /5 i finally wore out the Lasertech that had been on it for years, and by the widespread recommendation on here, I got the Michelin Pilot Activ. VERY happy with it! I look forward to getting the rear to match.
I'm committed to the Avon's for now. but I'll definitly put the Mich Pilot Activ's on the list for next time around.

TINK
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,093
Well the firestones are black.... There's a reason tires moved away from those tires many many years ago.

They are for looks. Plenty of kids pile on the miles with the repops but I wouldn't put them on a bike I was building.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,796
I recommend Bridgestone Spitfire S11's. I think they are the best bet.

I use to recommend them or Avon Super Venom's or Roadrunners but they don't make them anymore. AM26 Roadriders make my bike handle like a shopping cart. It's a bummer because I ride a bit more enthusiastically than most and I loved the no longer available Avon's because they stuck like glue compared to other tires and they lasted just as long or longer. A lot longer than some with far less grip! I run Avon 'for track only' race tires right now but you don't want to do that. They are pricy! At least they still last longer than many a DOT tire that I have used and stick five times better while doing it!

supershaft screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 11:04 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Michelin pilots are on both my bikes, they are more stable and agile than the Bridgestones BT45s previously fitted. The Michelins are properly sized, I.E. a 4.00inch tyre is actually 4.00 in width, rather than the bridgestones which are oversized.
I buy tyres on the basis of their performance rather than their looks.

Your experiences may differ
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
carpetburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Exactly what Chasbmw says above, replaced my bt45s with pilot activs-much better
carpetburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,159
+1 on the Michelins and mostly positive reviews from friends on the Bridgestone offerings. My /5 came with freshly spooned Metzeler Lasers. The rear rubs a bit even though it is a proper 4.00. I my past experience with Lasers was lackluster.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,044
My RS came with vintage style tires, Dunlops I believe they were. Handling was much better without them, honestly.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I have Metzlers on at this time, with no previous problems. But the Metzlers are old, bike was in the barn for several years; it is now gloriously resurrected! It is time for a new set of Michelin Pilot Activs. Do the inmates have any recommended suppliers, or does it not matter? I will mount and balance them myself.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
TINK
Studly Adventurer

American Motorcycle Tire, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
I have Metzlers on at this time, with no previous problems. But the Metzlers are old, bike was in the barn for several years; it is now gloriously resurrected! It is time for a new set of Michelin Pilot Activs. Do the inmates have any recommended suppliers, or does it not matter? I will mount and balance them myself.
I too change/balance my own. I've been buying from http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/ for several years now and have always been happy with their price and quick delivery.

TINK
Old 01-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Great link - easy to find the tires in our sizes, and they have a great selection. Some suppliers do NOT carry sizes for our old bikes.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
chipsdad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
all the tires you guys are mentioning don't look like the firestones. I have been working on my bike I have reshaped the seat and fenders to look better with the more oversized tires. Am I really gonna hate the firestones or will they be fine. I will be riding lots in the summer however never over 60mph and mostly in town.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsdad View Post
all the tires you guys are mentioning don't look like the firestones. I have been working on my bike I have reshaped the seat and fenders to look better with the more oversized tires. Am I really gonna hate the firestones or will they be fine. I will be riding lots in the summer however never over 60mph and mostly in town.
I have no experience with tires for looks. I suspect you should have customized a KE100.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote