User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Dualsport Tire Combination for more Dirt

Looking for discussion on the best combination of dualsport/offroad tires for more dirt oriented dual sporting on smaller thumpers. Ones that will last longer, but still give good competitive grip.

Depending on the areas, I live between 15 - 40 miles from my closest local trails. Ride an EXC 400. I like to explore the backroads asphalt looking for new trails. Our trails here in georgia can be rocky, sometimes full of roots, very slick with mud or dry with dust. When dual-sporting we normally run intermediate offroad racing type tires like Pirelli XCMS, Dunlop 756, or Geomax 51, or Michelin S-12/M-12 combo. These seem to be some the best options for optimal grip around here. Regular dual sport tires don't give very good grip for the kind of riding we normally do, especially on the front.

Has anyone tried a dual-sport tire on the rear and offroad tire on the front combination? Like maybe an MT-21 on the back and a Pirelli XCMS on the front? Or some kind of longer lasting dual sport tires that give decent grip in the serious dirt that I don't know about?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Pirelli MT 16 (at least for the rear) Great in all types of terrain and DOT legal as well! They wear really well including extended pavement use. I use them on my KTM 350 rfs coupled with a Bridgestone M59 up front. My rfs KTM sees a lot of tough, rocky offroad stuff mixed with occasional pavement. Give them a try.
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
I have been using Kings tires on my KTM 640 Adventure, and I love 'em!

They last a really long time, provide excellent traction, and are low priced (I should be riding a KLR). They are also DOT approved.

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-963Rear.htm

Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,948
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of them. I wonder where they are made and if they last long enough to do adventure rides on a Yam Wr250R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I have been using Kings tires on my KTM 640 Adventure, and I love 'em!

They last a really long time, provide excellent traction, and are low priced (I should be riding a KLR). They are also DOT approved.

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-963Rear.htm

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of them. I wonder where they are made and if they last long enough to do adventure rides on a Yam Wr250R.
I run them on my KTM 640 Adventure, and they easily last 3-4k miles. I normally ride 30% pavement and 70% dirt.

I have tried Dunlop 606's, Pirelli MT-21's, and Metzler Karoo II's...I have found the Kings both out perform and outlast all of them.

They should last forever on a smaller bike like yours.

Just be warned, they have a very stiff carcass, and can be a bear to mount.
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
Pirelli MT 16 (at least for the rear) Great in all types of terrain and DOT legal as well! They wear really well including extended pavement use. I use them on my KTM 350 rfs coupled with a Bridgestone M59 up front. My rfs KTM sees a lot of tough, rocky offroad stuff mixed with occasional pavement. Give them a try.
Pirelli MT 16 rear isn't DOT, only the front.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Pirelli MT 16 rear isn't DOT, only the front.

Wrong you are the rear not only is DOT .. Pirelli advertises it as such!!!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I used to run K270's all the time. Pretty good 50/50 tire that works well everywhere but sticky mud, but they can be a bit squirmy on pavement when pushed hard in corners.

I've since switched to Shinko 244's (golden boy) They work just as good as the kenda 270's off road, last a bit longer, and are quite a bit cheaper. You can get a set for around $100 and they will last 3-5k on a rear and 5+ on the front. And they feel much more planted on the pavement. All in all a good compromise.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I used to run K270's all the time. Pretty good 50/50 tire that works well everywhere but sticky mud, but they can be a bit squirmy on pavement when pushed hard in corners.

I've since switched to Shinko 244's (golden boy) They work just as good as the kenda 270's off road, last a bit longer, and are quite a bit cheaper. You can get a set for around $100 and they will last 3-5k on a rear and 5+ on the front. And they feel much more planted on the pavement. All in all a good compromise.
I have been waiting to hear a review of the 244's. I am currently running the kenda 270's. With the air down at about 18lbs. It works real well for me in dirt or on road. I heard the shinko 244 is everthing the 270 is, but better, has stiffer sidewalls for better cornering?

dolphins13 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 06:27 PM
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
I have a Honda xr650r thats plated and does highway+ single track.It eats back tires.Best combo so far is a mt-21 front,shinko 244 rear.1 time I ran a pirelli xcmh front and mt21 rear .Mucho traction but the tires were gone at about 1000 miles.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,022
For me, it's hard to beat the Pirelli XCMH on the front. It's the best tire by far that I used on my Husaberg - it steers really well. I can get by on a variety of rears, but it's the front that I really want to stick.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 179
I have tried the IRC's, Duros, 606's and the Kenda 270's. The kendas work great on my xt600 .I get about 4000 or so with lots of fast mountain road pavement, gravel, and forest roads. Others around here get even more. I get the best compromise for off road and pavement life from the 270's. I'm on my 3rd set.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
I understand that we are all different, and our expectations about what a motorcycle tire will do for us is different as well. I don't buy a tire based on what mileage I expect to get from it. We have 2 very small contact patches that are going a very long way in determining our motorcycling experience, as well as having a significant impact on our safely getting home at the end of the ride.

I suggest buying a tire that meets your riding needs, regardless of cost, or lack thereof.You will have more fun, and be safer.

fwiw
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
eakins - understand the 130-17" K-60 ($150) does not have a center bar at all, that could cause it to suck in the mud, like the 140-17" & 150-17" size . the design is like the original K60 and is more aggressive. make sure you're not hearing chatter about the 140 & 150 sizes at the 130 is very different in tread.

I got my K-60 on sale for $120 from revzilla . I ride a KLR so I can only mount a 130-17. This is what my tread pattern looks like.
http://

I've only ridden mud once since the tire change but, I was really pleased with the result. It was only around 5 inches deep in the worst places but, it was very slick Kentucky clay based soil. The K-60 cut through the mud & gripped the soil beneath very well IMO. I suspect the guys complaining about the K-60 in mud are riding much heavier adv-bikes.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
sweet. thanks for the pic.what kind of mileage are you getting? $120 is an awesome price.
thnx bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
eakins - understand the 130-17" K-60 ($150) does not have a center bar at all, that could cause it to suck in the mud, like the 140-17" & 150-17" size . the design is like the original K60 and is more aggressive. make sure you're not hearing chatter about the 140 & 150 sizes at the 130 is very different in tread.

I got my K-60 on sale for $120 from revzilla . I ride a KLR so I can only mount a 130-17. This is what my tread pattern looks like.
http://

I've only ridden mud once since the tire change but, I was really pleased with the result. It was only around 5 inches deep in the worst places but, it was very slick Kentucky clay based soil. The K-60 cut through the mud & gripped the soil beneath very well IMO. I suspect the guys complaining about the K-60 in mud are riding much heavier adv-bikes.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote