ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Yellowdatsun OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Horseshoe Dam walkway crossing AZ

Anyone know if the walkway under Horseshoe Dam NE of Phoenix, AZ is always open? Wondering if you can just ride up there and go across? Or are there some tips or tricks to it?
Yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,799
always open. no gate or fence.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
sawzaller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdatsun View Post
Anyone know if the walkway under Horseshoe Dam NE of Phoenix, AZ is always open? Wondering if you can just ride up there and go across? Or are there some tips or tricks to it?
Was just up there yesterday to survey that situation. No gates or fences for the walkway. There's 2-3 ride reports on the interwebs with pics of riders crossing. The approaches on either side may or may not be a challenge depending on your curb weight and skill. West side approach is rock/dirt and the east side is a good incline but concrete like a khoi pond.
sawzaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
If you are doing the loop including sheeps crossing bridge, I would go over sheep crossing first and then down horseshoe. The other way you have to go from the riverbed up a nasty rocky hill to sheeps bridge.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Can someone refer me to a route map for the Sheep Bridge-Horseshoe Dam
Loop ? And, what's a good time of year when there might/should be
overflow at the dam?

This one's on my bucket list and my window of two-wheeling is closing down.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
overflow at the dam?

750 has a very good description of the route. I don't think we have had enough rain in the past few years to have the water go over the spillway. If its not going over now with all the rain the past week it will probably be sometime before it happens.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
F-Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
overflow at the dam?

Go right after a huge rainstorm, they usually release water then. It can be pretty spectactular.
Here is the SRP site that lists runoff, just click on the day and scroll down about halfway on the report page.
http://www.srpwater.com/dwr/

http://azdualsport.multiply.com/phot.../Sheeps-Bridge#

F-Pilot screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 05:23 PM
F-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
In my opinion as the last guy stated it is much easier to go from West to east. I will try to write it out so that the google maps etc will be easy for input.
From where ever you start in the valley make it up to Cave Creek road. You want to head east on Cave Creek road.
Eventually as you go east you will find the intersection of Cave Creek and Bartlett Dam Road (Also known as service road 205) continue on straight ahead on Cave Creek. After you go through several really nice twisties the road will turn to dirt.
At about where it turns to dirt the road is renamed 7 Springs road. Keep on trucking this road continues through the 7 springs rec areas and campground areas. There are 2 nice water crossings. Eventually you will also see forest signs that call this road FR24. (My street car GPS even calls it this) Keep on this road for about a dozen or more miles. It will eventually come to a T intersection. The road to the west goes to(Left) Bloody Basin and the I-17 freeway near Cordes Junction. The East (Right) goes to Sheep Bridge. Both ways are called FR269. Make the right and head east to sheep bridge. Once at Sheep Bridge carefully ride your bike across the bridge. It is a bit narrow but not bad just go slow. Once across the bridge there is a fairly nasty downhill section the leads to the beach area. I recommend that you coast down the hill with your engine shut off. This will prevent whiskey throttle and near death experiences. I am sure that there are plenty of guys that can ride it down but at least on the first try it might be smart to take it easy. Once you get to the bottom of the hill you want to find the road that continues to your left or east that goes to the dam. About 5 miles or so down this road you will see the dam on your right and continue at least a mile or two past where it is visible. There will be a fork in the road and a sign that says (someone's) farm. Take a right at this sign and not too far up you will find the dam. (If you find yourself crossing alot of water and in a river bed you missed the turn. Been there done that.) Once you cross the dam under on that pedestrian crossing there is a nice steep and pretty hairy part from the ped xing to the road. You might want to walk it up. If you slide it is a long way down. Once on top the road from there goes several miles of really crappy road to a T intersection. At the T make a right onto the Bartlett Dam road. You will ride a short ways and there will be another T intersection. This is the intersection of Bartlett and Cave Creek. If you make a left here you will be heading toward Carefree and Cave Creek. Closest gas will be 3 miles ahead on Cave Creek at the Carefree intersection.
I recommend that you ride a light bike. I think that I could possibly do this on my VStrom if my life depended on it, but it wouldn't be fun. The KLR would be okay too but it was really fun on a dirt bike. The KLR was doable just not really alot of fun. I had to work too much. When I rode it on the XR350 it was a really fun day. I think the guys on the DR650s had a good time and Jack rode his KLR and enjoyed it but he is a pretty big guy. In any case watch out for the rocks when you head up the hill leaving the dam crossing it will leave a wet spot in your shorts. Good luck to you. -Paul

P.S. Anytime that the weather is nice. (Less than 100 and not real wet) would be a great time for this ride. It tends to be windier and cooler so it helps make for a nicer ride with gear on. I know that my fat butt gets overheated with all of the gear, but on this ride I was comfortable all day.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
...this road continues through the 7 springs rec areas and campground areas. There are 2 nice water crossings.
When you come to the first concrete water crossing, GO SLOW! I repeat... GO SLOW! Since this crossing always has water running across, it is slick. I've heard of several guys losing it on this crossing and the momentum carries them off the edge of the concrete ford and onto the rocks below.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
There it is. I knew I had a pic of that crossing around here somewhere. It comes right after a right hander so it kind of sneaks up on you.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
terb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I went to Sheep's Bridge today ...... and Horseshoe Lake looks like a giant chocolate milk shake................
terb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,418
This is the right hander DurtKlod speaks of. Obviously it's marked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
There it is. I knew I had a pic of that crossing around here somewhere. It comes right after a right hander so it kind of sneaks up on you.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Yellowdatsun OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Those water crossing are REAL slippery. Go slow with your feet down.
Yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Thanks 750volts! and everyone else, I'll be on my TW200 or , hopefully
a CRF230R I'm looking at.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
quackPOT
Grand Master Fu

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Those water crossing are REAL slippery. Go slow with your feet down.
I've been over these numerous times, but when you least expect it, the algae will put you on your ass. Then it is a bitch to pick your bike up when it keeps sliding to the edge. Be wary!
quackPOT is offline   Reply With Quote