Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 502
Seeking riders for San Francisco to Alaska this summer.

Seeking riders for San Francisco to Alaska ride this July/August. We can meet there or along the way.

Thinking a month but can ship the bike and chop it to 2 weeks.

I've done these long, adventure rides many times but mostly in Europe.

My RR for Bulgaria to Portugal this past summer.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828439

My RR for Turkey (1st one) 3 summers ago.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620475

Shout out if you are interested and let's talk, summer will arrive soon!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 111
Leaving Seattle on 16 June to make the ferry in Prince Rupert up to Skagway. Headed to D2D in Dawson which is on the 20th. Looking to get some people together for camping on the ferry.
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Leaving Seattle on 16 June to make the ferry in Prince Rupert up to Skagway. Headed to D2D in Dawson which is on the 20th. Looking to get some people together for camping on the ferry.
I'm coming back from D2D on the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert on June 27, overnighting the 26th in Haines. I'm planning on renting a cabin in Haines (sleeps 4) so looking for one or more roomies to share cost (very low cost cabin, bring your own sheets!) Also going to camp in a 'deck chair' for the return trip. They still do that don't they? (last took the ferry in '94 so some things have changed.)
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Can you PM me some more detailed info and if anyone else is with your group yet.

Might be too soon for me but good to know about this, thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Signed up for D2D today
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Thinking out loud

I'm over the hemming and hawing part and have decided to start pre-planning. That means if I find riding partners and we can agree to a general plan (with the understanding that weather, sickness, bike problems etc can happen and we stick together no matter what) I'm in.

I've registered for D2D.

Here is the general plan as I see it happening. Just my ideas of timing, route, completely open to anything at this point.

Ride North from the Bay Area with either Raider-Rider from Antioch or Roadracer_Al from Oakland (OR both) somewhere between June 1st and 14th. Open to other folks interested in this ride.

My preference? Take it slow going up and fast coming back.

Leave the 1st or 8th.

1st day. SF to Lassen (camp) or stay with my friend Hop-Sing (ADV handle)
2nd. Lassen to Crater Lake OR. (camp)
3rd. Crater Lake to Portland. (stay with a friend, riding partners could camp in the back yard, maybe basement.)
4th. Portland to Seattle. (stay with a friend, I can probably extend this to 1 or 2 riding partners)
5th. Seattle to Victoria Island ferry.
6th. Victoria island. (one home stay, backyard camp)
7th. Port Hardy.
8th. Ferry
9th. Ferry
10th. here is where it gets fuzzy....thinking of getting off at prince rupert but could go further, seems Haines would be ideal so I would do a RT with McRuss.

Coming back with McRuss. His general trip plan has 5 days between D2D and arriving in Haines on the 26th. Ferry from there to Prince Rupert on the 27th. We would split off in Northern Oregon (probably I would go to Portland) then I would ride the rest back alone. (I'm OK with that)

AKDuc might be able to play tour guide which means I would then go up even a week earlier, the 1st/2nd of June and that might work nicely with Roadracer_Al schedule.

My riding preferences:
-Keep it under 250/300 miles per day (I can ride 800-1000 a day and not complain just defeats the point of the ride if everything is whizzing by on a highway)
-Ride sunup to sundown. no night riding. I'm an early riser.
-Prefer smaller local roads, avoid highways.
-Eat well (at least 2 square meals a day) happy to cook camp food
-Prefer to camp over hotels (guerrilla camping too)
-Wait at forks for last rider, discuss next day route each night, the basic safety stuff.

I'm in comm with everyone mentioned here by PM but just thought I would start to lay stuff out and see what shakes out.

SpecialAgentNancy screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 03:28 PM
SpecialAgentNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Special Agent Nancy,

Didn,t I see a RR of yours from somewhere in Asia? Mabe a couple years ago? If it was you, I had a good laugh reading it and can't wait to see what transpires from this trip.
July/August weather is usually good up here in the North. I would join you on the trip, but Alaska is only 1.5 hours away, so it would be a short ride.
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,769
I already live here but I'm all in for a meet'n'greet with your crew.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I already live here but I'm all in for a meet'n'greet with your crew.
Awesome thanks!
can you PM me your exact location...I like clean laundry every 4 or 5 days...
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner2 View Post
Didn,t I see a RR of yours from somewhere in Asia? Mabe a couple years ago? If it was you, I had a good laugh reading it and can't wait to see what transpires from this trip.
July/August weather is usually good up here in the North. I would join you on the trip, but Alaska is only 1.5 hours away, so it would be a short ride.
There is a lot more to Alaska than a border crossing. :)
Heated gear a must, think 'arctic circle'.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
raider-rider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Here my post from Dec http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849488

My plan is to leave on Jun 14 from San Fran (I live in Antioch), returning on or around July 7. From my reading I understand the weather is best in June and early July with more rain later in the summer. I haven't finalized my route yet. That depends on what my wife decides. She may fly up to Anchorage to meet me for some day rides/short overnights based out of Anchorage. If she does this my route would be to head directly to Anchorage get our riding in, ship the bike home and fly back with her. If she opts out I was thinking maybe the Dalton Highway and a full round trip. Would really have to pound the pavement to fit that in.
raider-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider-rider View Post

My plan is to leave on Jun 14 from San Fran (I live in Antioch), returning on or around July 7. From my reading I understand the weather is best in June and early July with more rain later in the summer. I haven't finalized my route yet. That depends on what my wife decides. She may fly up to Anchorage to meet me for some day rides/short overnights based out of Anchorage. If she does this my route would be to head directly to Anchorage get our riding in, ship the bike home and fly back with her. If she opts out I was thinking maybe the Dalton Highway and a full round trip. Would really have to pound the pavement to fit that in.
The Tiger XC is built for that my friend. Open to all of these ideas.

I'm in Sonoma till next weekend, let's plan on meeting face to face beginning April 1-3 if you are free, then we can see where this might lead.
I've heard that there are a lot of drunken shenanigans around July 4th so your dates are smart.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Playx3
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider-rider View Post

Two of us are leaving Pendleton OR on June 16th to ride the Alcan my lady is flying up around the 20th to meet up in Wassilla then she flys out the following Friday and we ride back home
Playx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

would like to head north a week early but still dont have anyone to share the ride with, ideally leave the bay area June 8-10th
stop off at Lassen and crater lake, with a night in Portland and Seattle. have an invite to Victoria Island too.
thinking to ferry from port hardy to haines around the 14/16 so i can fit in a Seward, Homer, and Valdez rides before heading to D2D
heading back with McRuss if we get along :)

SpecialAgentNancy screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 03:22 PM
SpecialAgentNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
IF I were you, and had the time, I'd take the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola and the road from Bella Coola to ? (don't recall where it comes out but it is a serious road) then pick up the Cassiar to Watson Lake. It is a long voyage from Port Hardy to Haines, very similar to the one I took in '94 from Skagway to Bellingham. But it is your ride

McRuss screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 08:31 AM
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote