ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 338
Switch Gear

Yes I am still a noob to the GSA, but I have ridden it almost a thousand miles so far and I do not like the positioning of the handlebar switch gear. It seems to me that the horn and blinker switches are too low, almost hidden from my perched view, I am 6'4" so maybe thats it. Wondering about such things. I am getting better at shifting as well LOL. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 106
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmin C View Post
I came from a GSXR so I know what you mean. I have almost 3K on my GSA and I am now getting used to the button layout, to the point where I use them without thinking about them.

My advice.....put another few thousand on the bike. That will resolve more issues you than you realized you had.
Thanks Osmin C, It seems strange positioning after years on a Strom, I have thought about looking into turning bars just a little, but will wait a few more thousand. Thanks. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,356
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer
 
trc.rhubarb's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I came from, and still ride, a GSXR also. And have logged about 3 or 4 thousand miles on GS's, just in the last 9 months.

I don't think anybody will ever convince me that having to do stuff with my left hand to initiate or cancel a turn signal, while I'm also using that hand to operate the brakes, the throttle, and maybe even steer a little, is a better (or even remotely as good as) design than the standard Japanese switchgear. Never mind that the positioning of the turn signal cancel button virtually requires me to actually shift my left hand position a bit to press it.
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
__________________
2007 BMW GS Adventure / 2000 Ducati 900ss / 2010 Harley Ultra Limited / 1975 BMW R90/6 / 2006 DRZ400S
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 7,089
Seriously? You have a throttle and brake on the left side..and you think the BMW switches are wonky?

It took me about..2 miles to figger it out..left thumb to go left..right thumb to go right..right thumb up a scoche to cancel..ain't hard..

After a few miles..it'll be fine..

PS..you can rotate the switches..but you'll have to drill some holes..the switch has pins that engage the bars..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Zat one of them English bikes with everything on the wrong side?
Oops. Obviously, I meant my right hand, not my left.
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Oddometer: 338
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
qman8
GS09
 
qman8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: new philadelphia, ohio
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyke View Post
Trust me, you'll get used to it and love it. It takes about 3000 miles before it's appeciated.

Well, I've got almost 30k miles on my GS, and while I'm somewhat used to the controls, I STILL DO NOT appreciate it, like it, or think it makes any sense whatsoever. The horn and cancel buttons are COMPLETELY wrong for smooth control and safety, as noted. I come from VFRs, CBRXXs, Vstroms, FJRs, etc...I'm actually looking forward to possibly owning a wethead someday and get some REAL controls.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast
 
monkeythumpa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
The horn and cancel buttons are COMPLETELY wrong for smooth control and safety, as noted.
I thought I would get used to it but I have not. From the perspective of a comparative physiologist, the motion of using the side of your thumb to hit a switch is anatomically opposed (no pun intended) to everything we have trained our thumbs to do for millions of years. Our opposable thumbs evolved to keep things in our hands, to help with grip. As our brain function improved we developed fine motor skills to use the tip of our thumb to hold more delicate objects. Our thumbs are good at pressing and can modulate between mashing pressure to very delicate pressure. Thumbs are good for pressing with great precision and strength, ask any gamer. Our thumbs as well as the rest of our fingers, by design, don't utilise the sides very much. With the exception of the relatively recent (on an evolutionary timeline) popularity of holding cigarettes, we do not purposely use the sides of our fingers or thumb for much.

Until we need to honk the horn on a BMW. In a panic situation I have to negotiate my (non-dominant) thumb unnaturally to activate the horn. It is easier to buzz the offending party and flip the bird. Maybe lefties have it easier in this case. Give me back a horn I can mash!!!
__________________
You don't have to ride like everyone is trying to kill you if you kill everyone first.

WhyBike? A collection of motorcycle blogs.
monkeythumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythumpa View Post

Until we need to honk the horn on a BMW. In a panic situation I have to negotiate my (non-dominant) thumb unnaturally to activate the horn. It is easier to buzz the offending party and flip the bird. Maybe lefties have it easier in this case. Give me back a horn I can mash!!!
I had the same problem with the standard switchgear after years of riding BMW. I got over it about as fast as I adapted to the BMW gear.

Thing is, in a panic situation, you should not be thinking about the horn, you should be thinking about saving your ass!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Thing is, in a panic situation, you should not be thinking about the horn, you should be thinking about saving your ass
That there's a big no shitter! I've never hit the horn and had it change anybodies mind that I recall, I've always wound up taking evasive action, I rarely bother with the horn any more.

I also have zero issues with the turn signal operation on the BMW and I have a Yamaha I ride as well, I think that I actually prefer the BMW combination switches.
If you are having to look down to see what button(s) to push than you need to spend more time getting familiar with your bike, operating turn signals should be intuitive and if you can't get there than you need to make whatever adjustments necessary so you can.
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 338
Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I am used to Vstrom controls, and found them to be perfect for me. I also like the hi beam flasher where it is on Suzuki's. I really like my GSA, and am sure I will adjust to its differences. I just figured out how to set the ESA to different settings. I am on a roll. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Thanks for the info, opinions, I just realized that my turn signals self cancel. Shows you how much I have ridden the bike. (lol)
I have an '09 GS. Do my turn signals self-cancel?? Even after just signaling for and then completing a lane change?
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014