User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,955
Tourmaster warranty

Has anyone had to deal with Tourmaster for any warranty issues? Specifically their jackets. Had a zipper pull break in half today - not disconnect, but snap so that it's basically a 1/4" nub hanging off the main zipper. I've e-mailed them using their Web form. Just trying to prepare to be either pleasantly surprised or pissed off.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Why not wait to see what they say instead of even thinking of being pissed off. Guess you have your mind made up already huh.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Why not wait to see what they say instead of even thinking of being pissed off. Guess you have your mind made up already huh.

Wow. Either you know me pretty well, or absolutely not at all.
Perhaps I've had some dealings with manufacturers in different industries over the past 5+ decades.
But thanks for your incredibly helpful insight.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Has anyone had to deal with Tourmaster for any warranty issues? Specifically their jackets. Had a zipper pull break in half today - not disconnect, but snap so that it's basically a 1/4" nub hanging off the main zipper. I've e-mailed them using their Web form. Just trying to prepare to be either pleasantly surprised or pissed off.
I had the exact same thing happen with my Tourmaster Transition jacket...just a few months after getting it new. I never tried to get it replaced or fixed...I can still just grab the nub enough to open and close it...a bit of a hassle for sure. Good luck...I bet they will help you out.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
I had the exact same thing happen with my Tourmaster Transition jacket...just a few months after getting it new. I never tried to get it replaced or fixed...I can still just grab the nub enough to open and close it...a bit of a hassle for sure. Good luck...I bet they will help you out.
Yep. This is what I've got:

I hope I don't have to trash this jacket or ride around with a pair of vice grips until I replace it. Other than this, I really like the jacket.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
The place where the cord enters my Synergy heated jacket liner ripped out. Had no problems with a warranty replacement. Controller went out later too. Again, no problems.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Yep. This is what I've got:

I hope I don't have to trash this jacket or ride around with a pair of vice grips until I replace it. Other than this, I really like the jacket.
Temporary fix: Put a 550 cord loop through it. I break zips left and right on a lot of my gear and the 550 cord always saves the day.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 491
I had my tourmaster jacket zipper screw up after 6 months and they replace the jacket. Now three years later another bad zipper and had to sent it in for a replacement zipper, my cost $50.00.

Heard/read that Tourmaster has bad zippers and sure looks like it with my experience. I'm stuck with this jacket for now but would not buy another tourmaster product because the zippers are junk.

Puzzles me why a company would ruin their reputation by having bad zippers on a good product!. The reason I say this is I looked at the "new" 2013 jacket and it has the same zippers. Someone needs to be fired at that company. Penny wise and dollar foolish if I may.
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
I had my tourmaster jacket zipper screw up after 6 months and they replace the jacket. Now three years later another bad zipper and had to sent it in for a replacement zipper, my cost $50.00.

Heard/read that Tourmaster has bad zippers and sure looks like it with my experience. I'm stuck with this jacket for now but would not buy another tourmaster product because the zippers are junk.

Puzzles me why a company would ruin their reputation by having bad zippers on a good product!. The reason I say this is I looked at the "new" 2013 jacket and it has the same zippers. Someone needs to be fired at that company. Penny wise and dollar foolish if I may.
Thanks. This one is about a year old. The info on their website left me pretty pessimistic, but I'm holding out for the best. My experience has been that the top tier folks - Alpinestars, Shoei, etc. are very willing to help and do what it takes to make things right, while some others seem to have a different business model that is completely ignorant about customer loyalty and repeat business. Having not had to deal with Tourmaster/Cortech/Helmet House before, I'm just trying to figure out where they lie on the scale.

I have several other products from them and based on how they respond to this, I guess I'll know if I continue to buy their stuff. I'm sure as shit not going to run out and buy another $200+ jacket to replace a 10 zipper though.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
I had an issue with my tourmaster synergy controller - used the web form and two or three days later they e-mailed me back saying they shipped a replacement.

I have actually had fewer CS issues with brands backed by large distributors (Tourmaster, Joe Rocket, Firstgear). I have had a hell of a time with more boutique brands (R...).
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
I had an issue with my tourmaster synergy controller - used the web form and two or three days later they e-mailed me back saying they shipped a replacement
Exactly my experience when my controller went bad. Stand up company.

Zippers are cheap to repair.

http://www.zippermend.com/
Conedodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post
Temporary fix: Put a 550 cord loop through it. I break zips left and right on a lot of my gear and the 550 cord always saves the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conedodger View Post
Exactly my experience when my controller went bad. Stand up company.

Zippers are cheap to repair.

http://www.zippermend.com/

Thanks, guys. I'll pick up some paracord today and am on the zipper website now. The cord will get me through until either Tourmaster takes care of this or the zipper kit arrives.

Thanks to everyone else for posting your experiences with them. And good info on the Synergy gloves/controllers. I look for them every year, but everyone sells out long before winter.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,576
Why not just replace it with a key ring?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I'd prefer Tourmaster to take care of it, but that's certainly a viable option along with the others mentioned above if they don't.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
shu

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Easy. A small key ring with a knotted piece of cord works just like new, maybe better.

........shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote