User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
SiouxsieCat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Blown off road - totaled GSA

Got blown off the highway today in KC. Went into the median, which wasn't so bad until I hit the crossover for emergency vehicles, then things just tumbled forward in the air. Was doing about 60 in a 70 zone. Walked away, but the windshield / cockpit was gone and the aluminum cases were crumbled messes. Undoubtedly a write off. Since it's my only vehicle, I'm crossing my fingers I can get settled with insurance and take delivery on an identical bike with a week or two. I loved that thing.
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
What happened?
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
What happened?
He got blown into the median. Then he hit a crossover for emergency vehicles.....
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
He got blown into the median. Then he hit a crossover for emergency vehicles.....

Is there a thread you don't shit in?

AFAIK, this is a place for those who crashed to tell their tale for (hopefully) the benefit of others.

Wind can produce some interesting riding as I learned living in the Plains once upon a time. The only effective tactic I found was to decrease speed. Of course, sometimes the best option is to pull off and regroup.

Be thankful it's only the GS whcih was damaged, not you!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,920
Ouch! Glad you're good. Bike can be replaced.
Anything learned that can be passed along?
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
I got that. Was wondering what happened. . ..
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,049
He was gettin blown and ran into the median.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Hmmmm....funny that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I didn't think I took it quite like that when I read through the first time but it does make for a hell of a lot better story that way....
Ride on man.....
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
She's definitely a keeper if that's the case.

Glad you're ok.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,732
As far as crazy gusty winds, I've never experienced a worse section of road than along the Columbia Gorge on the Washington State side of the Columbia River, between Umatilla and The Dalles. The afternoons are worst, when heat driven updrafts play along the cliff walls.
It's no wonder this is the windsurfing capital of North America.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Wyodrill
Deer Slayer 800

Oddometer: 35
Wind? Come to Wyoming

In Wyoming we have a saying, "If the sun sets in the west, the wind will blow in the morning."
The Dallies are windy but the time I went thru there it was head on or to my back. If you ever travel near Rawlins, Wy you are crossing the continental divide in the Red Desert. Average daily wind it 35 mph, on days with fronts coming thru you can be in 45 mph w/ gusts to 55. I have found the only way to manage a broad reach (45 to 90 deg to direction of travel) is go slow. I have gone down the highway at 35 mph leaning like crazy. At the slower speed I am at least able to react in time to gusts and keep her on the tarmac. Plus I am not creating additional force by driving thru the wind at a higher rate of speed. (I watched the 18 wheelers doing that and I copied them.) They were riding with on one set of tires on the road. I try to find alternate routes that have some terrain to hide in or behind.

On interstates I have found that the leeward lane is usually more stable. The windward side kicks the wind up off the bank of the road and so you find either quiet air or turbulent air there. Anything but the laminar flow of wind jetting across wide open spaces.

The best is when you are following the wind, that is, when you are going down wind.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyodrill View Post
In Wyoming we have a saying, "If the sun sets in the west, the wind will blow in the morning."
The Dallies are windy but the time I went thru there it was head on or to my back. If you ever travel near Rawlins, Wy you are crossing the continental divide in the Red Desert. Average daily wind it 35 mph, on days with fronts coming thru you can be in 45 mph w/ gusts to 55. I have found the only way to manage a broad reach (45 to 90 deg to direction of travel) is go slow. I have gone down the highway at 35 mph leaning like crazy. At the slower speed I am at least able to react in time to gusts and keep her on the tarmac. Plus I am not creating additional force by driving thru the wind at a higher rate of speed. (I watched the 18 wheelers doing that and I copied them.) They were riding with on one set of tires on the road. I try to find alternate routes that have some terrain to hide in or behind.

On interstates I have found that the leeward lane is usually more stable. The windward side kicks the wind up off the bank of the road and so you find either quiet air or turbulent air there. Anything but the laminar flow of wind jetting across wide open spaces.

The best is when you are following the wind, that is, when you are going down wind.
One of my fondest "mental images" of riding was when heading west across Wyoming as the sun was going down....Circa 1994-sh?

3 of us were crossing the country on overloaded sportbikes (cbr, fzr, zx-7) from Minneapolis to Pheonix.

On this particular stretch, I was bringing up the rear and watched for what seemed like an hour as both of my buddies bikes were at 45 degree angles, but travelling straight at highway++ speeds.

Just a really cool image with the setting sun as the backdrop. Wish they had Go-Pro's back them.....
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Hey, congratulations on the new ride...BTW, I found this post as I'm surfing the net today rather than riding.

35 mph steady with gusts to 50+ here in Maricopa AZ. No ride down into Mexico today.

Steve
'11 GSA
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
Scudman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
I got blown out of my lane by jet blast. I was riding on a highway next to the end of the airport. A l1011 was starting the take off roll and number two engine, the one in the tail pointing downward, was higher than the blast fence. As I passed behind the airplane the jet blast nocked me into the next lane. Nobody there at that time but I am a bit more cautious around airports now.
Scudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Had a nasty scare on US 20 in Iowa while I was riding through back in June.

There was a very nasty storm rolling in. The sky was literally black. I could see a gas station ahead where I was going to pull in, have a coffee, put on my rain suit and wait for the worst to blow through.

I passed a small hill by the side of the road that had been blocking the wind. It was three lanes at this point and I was in the right lane. Took about five seconds for me to wind up in the left lane, despite leaning as hard as I could. Thank God no one coming up from behind me.

I had been doing about 70 mph. I limped into the gas station doing about 40.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote