Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 445
Brisbane 2 Bristol and everything in between....

at the shipping agent

Suzie the Suzuki is fully loaded with everything we have planned to take on our ‘TRIP’, even if we are not going to use it this weekend, it’s coming with us! So we have a final idea of weight & how everything is going to be stored & of course & most importantly how Clive & ‘Suzie’ ride together.

We arrived at ‘The Lost World’ (Stinson Park Campground), set every thing up & after a cuppa & a long talk considering everything, we have decided with a heavy heart that we will no longer take the camping gear, even though we had researched for many, many months the smallest, lightest & the best items to take with us, we now realise that we will be carrying all that extra weight and equipment on some of the most dangerous roads in Asia for the best part of six months without even needing it (as in Asia we plan to stay in hotels as it is dead cheap to do so) & had planned to camp throughout Europe (as the hotels will be more expensive to stay in) so now when we get to Europe we may end up buying some camping equipment there!

Whether it’s the right or wrong decision, time will tell.

However saying all that we will be taking our extremely small ‘Black Wolf’ tent, it weights next to nothing and packs down really small,but it is the size of a crisp packet!!!! It will be only used in an emergency & will therefore have to sleep our clothes!

What did work extremely well was our new Katadyn water filter, it filters down to the size of .2 microns so all the nasty stuff gets filtered out.

I gave it a try in the stream that runs through the camp ground and we ended up with crystal clear, odourless drinking water, which could be a life safer if we end up somewhere where we cant source water fit to drink, so a big plus on that one!

We figured we would still carry our stove and small kettle so we can still have a cuppa on the road, if we find things all too much and need calming down!!

The MSR whisperlite stove that we are taking can be run on petrol, so the fuel canisters will also be are back up if we run low on fuel on the bike, we’ll be carrying two 1 litre bottles of fuel in the remote places as a back up.The stove can also be lit from our flint fire starter so no need to carry a lighter. So as long as we have tea bags we can have a ‘cuppa’, and we have managed to ween ourselves off drinking tea with milk, so we no longer need to worry about that plus we actually prefer drinking tea without milk now!

We’ve also worked out where everything should be stored, in an order where we need it to make things a little easier on the road, whether it’ll stay like that time will tell!!

This is our basic camp kit, from the picture above, going from left to right starting at the top we have:

1.Small kettle sitting on our MSR whisperlite stove with red fuel bottle attached

2. Green thermos for having a cuppa on the road, when we don’t want to get the stove out and can be used as a spare water container.

3. Green cooler bag for keeping day-to-day items we buy on the road colder and fresh.

4. Yellow travel wash line, used many times on our trips,can be hung up any where to dry our undies!

5. Orange nylon string…many uses!

6. Blue fold up travel sink, washing dishes, clothes or ourselves

7. Two travel plates, which have a large lip so could be used as a bowl, titanium cutlery set which are super light,lighter than plastic believe it not! one pair of scissors and a sharp knife.

8. Small insect spray, katmandu travel soap, white rubber travel plug, pink plastic food wrapper clip for keeping things from going stale.

9. Our flint fire starter, even Chris has got the hang of how to use!

10.Katadyn pocket water filter.

11. Two travel mugs, no not us!!

12. All on a table-cloth, which we can have multiple uses, towel, rug, sheet, curtain
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

strom getting strapped for shipping

Our bike is going to be shipped by Malaysia Cargo airline…first i had to source a crate for the bike.
Harley Davidson down at Gasoline Alley Springwood came up trumps with a purpose-built metal pallet that they bring their bikes in from the U.S.
Even though it was a tad long (10cm), it was perfect as it had wells in where the wheels fit into snugly and tie-down points to stop the bike from moving around.

Although it didn’t have sides it was a start and the guys at Gasoline Alley said i could have it for free, they even threw in some tie-down straps, thanks guys!

The bike fitted on to the pallet and to reduce size for shipping i removed the fly screen,wing mirrors and slackened off the fork tube bolts so i could push down the front even lower .

Ok, after getting the pallet back home, i started on the process of getting the bike prepared:

Firstly remove all fuel, in the end i did it the hard way !! I took the bike out until I thought i had run the bike was out of fuel…& with the fuel light flashing for ages and i thought it would be just a simple case of just starting a few times to get rid of the last few drops!! …How wrong was i…lol…Well i did that, plus my son-in-law tried siphoning out some & a gob full petrol ha ha, but there was some still sloshing around!

I decided again to take the bike for a quick spin around the neighbourhood, being careful to avoid any potential hills that i might have to push the bike up to get back to run the bike dry.

Well it still took a while and you guessed it, i ran out of fuel at the bottom of a hill, something i was trying to avoid!!

I had to push the bike up the hill and coast home, least i know that when the fuel light flashes empty i can still go a bit further, something we don’t want to practice but at least Chris will be with me and she can push!!!

The battery was removed and terminals taped up for airline safety outside our block of land
With the bike strapped down tight so there is no movement and the panniers carefully fitted in it was time to call in a bobcat, that has forks so it could lift the whole lot on to my sons flatbed Ute ready to be taken to the shipping agent where they will issue all the relevant documentation and crate the bike so it’s fully enclosed ready for its flight to Kuala Lumper Malaysia.With the bike strapped down tight so there is no movement and the panniers carefully fitted in it was time to call in a bobcat, that has forks so it could lift the whole lot on to my sons flatbed Ute ready to be taken to the shipping agent where they will issue all the relevant documentation and crate the bike so it’s fully enclosed ready for its flight to Kuala Lumper MalaysiaWith the bike strapped down tight so there is no movement and the panniers carefully fitted in it was time to call in a bobcat, that has forks so it could lift the whole lot on to my sons flatbed Ute ready to be taken to the shipping agent where they will issue all the relevant documentation and crate the bike so it’s fully enclosed ready for its flight to Kuala Lumper Malaysia

at the shipping agent
Next i had to deliver it to the shipping agent at Eagle Farm near the airport, there they will sort out the dangerous goods certificate and make the out side of the crate.

The shipping agents also require The Carnet du Passage, so the customs can stamp it out of the country when it leaves, that way we don’t have to pay any import duty on the bikes arrival. We will have to do this at every country we enter and make sure it is stamped out when we leave a country as well, especially in countries like Pakistan where they have a 470% import tax on vehicles!!
With the Strom safely at shipping agents,they can now get it ready for crating

So the next time we’ll see our bike will be in Kuala Lumper, Malaysia we hope!! Where hopefully we will be able to pick it up from the shipping agent there a couple of days after we arrive.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

We could'nt get the bike released from customs until monday so we had a weekend to explore around Kuala Lumpar.
After having a great breakfast at Jawadenne B & B, the owner gave us a courtesy ride to the train station, where for 25 Ringetts(around $7.00),you get to ride a super fast train into KL central, 160km an hour apparently and free wi.fi.
Petronas Towers KL
After arriving at central we brought a monorail ticket up to see the famous Petronas Towers, time for a coffee break after all that excitement!we found Starbucks,but the coffee was more milk than coffee ,we then ventured out into the gardens and waterfalls for a walk around,really beautiful until we had the grass police blew whistles at us for not taking off our shoes on the tiled bridge near the kids water play area!…LOL
untitled-3.jpgWe then made a decision to come back to the towers at night-time,so we jumped on a train and went to the Batu caves at a cost of 30cent each for a 20min journey,unbelievably cheap! We thought there must be a catch and they would charge us like a wounded bull to get in when you get there,but no it was free to get in!
Batu Caves, is a limestone hill, which has a series of caves and cave temples, in the Gombak district, 13 kilometres north of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It takes its name from the Sungai Batu or Batu River, which flows past the hill.It a sacred place for Hindus.
monkey holding orange
At the base of the mountain where the cave is there is huge golden statue and then you climb 272 concrete steps to the cave entrance and all the way up there are monkeys running around looking for a easy target to grab food or a drink,which we witnessed a womans plastic bag snatched which contained a bottle of milk which the monkey promptly ripped the top of and started drinking,hilarious for us watching at this stage Chris remembered she had peanuts in her bag(oh s#@t!),so she spent a nervous time getting to the top with monkeys eyeing her off,ha,ha.

Top of the milk

Batu Cave

Batu Caves

On reaching the top we were both dripping in sweat after climbing all those steps ,but there was a cool breeze coming out of the cave that soon dryed us off!...

The cave is pretty spectacular inside and massive,but they have put a huge steel tower right in the middle for night times lights so it is impossible to get a decent picture without including it in the picture! But it is an awesome place well worth the visit with streams of sunlight that comes through the roof.You can see why the Hindus regard this place so sacred.Going back down the steps was a lot easier than going up!It was a welcome relieve to get back on the aircon train back to the city in time for the towers to be lit up.We had dinner of prawn fried rice, which contained these crunchy salty things,on closer inspection they were tiny,tiny fish,they tasted alright but they got too salty after a while but the rice was delicious!

Monk enjoying light show
We then ventured outside to the water gardens where they put on a light show in the water to music in front of the Petronas Towers, awesome (wish i could come up with a better word, but awesome really covers it!).
A quick dip in the pool when we got back to the ‘Jawadene B & B then off to bed exhausted!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
ilrober
Offshore Bloke

Oddometer: 4
I'm in ---

Gotta follow this one
ilrober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Thanks Ilrober,were a bit behind in posts, we will try to catch up when we have decent wifi connection,we are currently in Cambodia at the moment
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Releasing the bike....

We had a phone from the shipping agent to say the bike was out of customs and we could collect it.
This was late in the afternoon so we said we would be there first thing in the morning.
Have fuel I had to source a fuel container to take fuel to the bike,our BB host came up with a 5lt water container, it would have to do.
We hired a taxi to take us to shipping agents warehouse stopping off at a petrol station to fill the container, quick rinse with a bit of fuel to get rid of a bit of water and we were good to go.
up here to get pass into customsFirst of all we had to surrender are passports at the custom gate to receive a pass to get in, where we were met by our agent who walked us to his warehouse, when we walked in I spied our crate with the lid off and the bike
And our gear safely stashed inside.
up here to get pass into customsThe agent then informed us he couldn't release the bike without Malaysian road tax and Insurance.....
Ok where do we get that?
About a hour away, but we had no transport or any idea where to go , so the agent offered to take us.
Waiting for insuranceWell we went to first insurance office, no good so on to next agent just down the road,we finally got it after about two hours and we can't get temp road tax until we got this and the road tax is issued about another hour away.it is now 2.30 and the tax office shuts at 4.00
We get there just in time and its quickly issued, thank god for that!......
We now have to drive back to the custom warehouse and we arrive about 5.30 .
Its in here....

Where we Opening up....
Nearly out.....

a dozen helpers help rip the crate open,they didn't have a proper Torx screwdriver!.......
Connecting battery....
Thank you.....The bike was released and I set about connecting battery up, poured fuel in and fired the bike up first go, relief.....
We put the alum luggage boxes on, I couldn't be bothered with the mirrors and wind shield, I was so hot and tired I just wanted to get out of there and get back to Bb,my brain was frazzled
So a stop at the custom gate to show everything was stamped we were out on to the road.
What a great feeling of riding my own bike in a foreign country,
We than can set off tomorrow with a freedom to go where we like when we like……
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
SimonThomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Keep the updates coming!
SimonThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Going Bonkers in Jonkers (Malacca) 9th Jan

untitled.jpg

After our last breakfast at the Jawadene B & B, we set off for Melaka, roughly 170kms, first stop was to get a photo of the ‘Strom’ outside the Sepang race Circuit, photo taken then off we go, the roads were well signed to Melaka & were in good condition…the journey took about an 2 hours as we had a quick refreshment stop for about 20 minutes.
Malacca

We arrived at the ‘One Vacation Home’ (we had 2 nights here) at about 1pm to be greeted by the owner Steven Wong, once we had been shown around the house; we had a quick shower then hit the town…Jonkers Street is a busy street full of Chinese shops & restaurant’s, the building are small, old & full of charm, most of the buildings have been restored back to their former glory but there are still a few in need of some TLC…I would love to be able to bring one back to ‘life’!

MalaccaFamous Restorant

After getting our bearing & a feel for this enchanting little town, we decided to head of to find some dinner, we ended up at the Geographer, a beautifully restored building…which seemed to be aimed at westerners, the choices on the menu were for all tastes…I opted for the Cashew chicken rice… I must admit I was disappointed as I had about four cashews & a stingy amount of chicken, it did taste good though! & Clive went for a salad…but got a huge bowl of soup with jalapenos & Tofu!!!…lol, Clive did enjoy it, even if it was a bit spicy, thankfully he didn’t eat the jalapenos!!!

Malacca
Malacca

As Clive had been feeling a little ill & not sleeping well over the past few days, we decided to go to the local doctor, much to our surprise we only waited about 2 minutes before we saw the doctor (usually even with an appointment at home its still half an hour before you get to see any one!) Clive had been concerned as the pain he was feeling was his appendix, but the pain was located too high for that thankfully, the doctor said he had been eating too much spicy food, & gave him some pain relief, gastro tablets, some probiotic mix & wind tablets! & Wow the consultation & medication came too RM 62 = AU 20.how cheap is that?

Malacca
Mallaca

Now we know what was wrong we decided to go for a walk around town, there is so much history here, Indian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch & of course British…

old malaccan

As Clive was still feeling a bit drained from his ‘complaint’ we decided it would be better to stay a couple more nights in Melaka, but there were no vacancy’s left at the ‘One Vacation Home’! But Steven knew of another house that had secure parking & was literally 1 minute (D’Laksamana) from his place so off we went to check it out & to see if they had any rooms…as luck would have it they did…with breakfast as well :O) with bags semi packed, we moved ‘home’ the only problem with our new place was that the living area stank of moth balls…Yuk…which is what the storage lock up we have for all our furniture smells like :OP

Malacca BB

Later that day we climbed St. Pauls Bukit (hill) to check out what was left of the old church, inside the church were loads of large (2×1 metres) tombs stones propped up against the wall, they were well old one dated back to 1400! And some had pirate skull and crossbones on them!

Pirates tombstone

The next day after a breakfast of waffles, we took off to check out the customs museum, then went to ‘board’ the replica Portuguese ship…only RM 6.0 each, roughly $3.30aus, the entry fee also covered our admission into to maritime museum, after all that history we felt weary so went back to the B & B for a rest, plus to do some work on the blog,
Later in the afternoon we went for a ride on the bike to check out a Mosque that was built over the beach, as we wanted to capture some twilight images…with all that done it was off to MacDonald’s (playing it safe!)

Malacca
untitled-3.jpg

Just thought you may like to know a little bit of Melaka history… Once upon a time a prince who was escaping from Sumatra in 14th century founded Malacca, it developed into a major trading port for ships from India and China. As the Melaka Sultanate flourished, the Portuguese conquered Malacca in 1511. Later the Dutch took over in 1641 until much later the British Empire ruled Malacca. The state finally obtained independence with the then “Malaya states” in 1957. Today, you will find many remnants of the glorious past dated back more than 500 years ago

.untitled-2.jpg
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

untitled-4.jpg

Originally when we made plans for our trip Johor Bahru was not on our to ‘do’ list as its mainly a place for import/export & travel across the bridge into Singapore…so why did we end up going there, well Legoland of course, we had to check it out for the Grandkids didn’t we? Every one loves Lego…don’t they? So after breakfast we set off for Johor Bahru, which is only about 140 km’s away.
While we were deciding to go either left, right or straight ahead a ‘local’ on a 1200cc BMW stopped & asked if he could help we told him where we wanted to go & he told us to follow him, & he proceeded to take us to our hotel The Grand Semtosa.
When we arrived we realized the hotel is above a shopping mall & the valet car parking (which I had read about) was DIY & sharing the same car park the mall shoppers!!! We were a little concerned about the bike being in a car park that was used by so many other people, but it did have 24-hour security, we just made sure we covered & chained the wheels of the bike at night, as it happens it was fine, but you still worry that it may get knocked off, then we would be stuffed.
We had dinner with the locals at Restoran 101, which is across the road from the hotel, as we had not been having as much fruit & vegetables as we normally would we decided to order vegetation, we ordered vegetable stirred fried rice & vegetables with noodles both dishes were delicious, but were lacking in vegetables!! We have noticed that the Malay people don’t eat a lot of fruit & vegetables, not like some of the other Asian countries we have been to.
After breakfast we hit the road for LEGOLAND & after maybe hour of taking the ‘short cut’ or the ‘scenic route’-which ever one you prefer! We arrived at LEGOLAND…yay; we had to park in -zone 3 which is just for motorbikes we had it all to our self… well I suppose Lego land is after all for families…the fee to enter LEGOLAND is RM 140 roughly $40 for a day entry.

untitled-4.jpg

A couple of places we will be visiting with the Strom.

The Taj...

TAJ MAHAL

Ankor...

Ankor Wat

The park was so empty which was great for us, no queuing for rides etc. :O), well after a day of enthusiastic enjoyment, we decided to go ‘home’ we just made it back to the bike before a massive thunder storm hit (lucky we had shelter) we must have waited about an hour before the worst of the storm passed! Even though it was still raining we decided we would take the chance & ride back to the hotel, we got a ‘little’ wet, but hey we went to LEGOLAND today so who cares about a little rain?

The next day after doing all the pre-checks on the bike,lube chain,check tyre pressures and to see if there is oil in the engine we were off up around the east coast of Malay.

One good thing fuel is cheap here....

http://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Slowly trying to catch up with this report as we are about a month behind.....
so here we go with the post,as i sit here having a lazy day in Kampot Cambodia

untitled-5.jpg

Mersing to Kuantan then on to Fraser Hill

untitled-7.jpg

There were a lot of theses trucks on the road

We had read about Mersing being a beautiful place to kick back & relax with clear blues waters & great diving…that sounded right up our alley, so with our bags packed we set off for the 270km’s ride, we arrived without booking a hotel…which is not unusual for us to do, the local town was not an option as we have to be careful where we park the bike & all the hotels only had street parking so we decided to travel down the road close to the sea, we rode around for a bit then stopped at the ‘Fishing Bay resort’ (or something like that) the owners were only to happy to show us around we looked at 2 different price groups of the rooms they had, they were both pretty expensive, but it was the location that you were paying for, the cheaper room was RM130= Just under $40 & the other room was RM 185 = $60 the only difference in the rooms were one was in a room overlooking the ‘gardens’ & sea & the other room was a cabin by the sea…it all sounds amazing doesn’t it? How ever even though it was hot it was also windy & the sea was choppy & brown no way were we getting in that water…lol… the rooms were damp, smelly & had wood rot, the paint was peeling off the walls & moldy curtains Ekkk…so as it was out of season ( monsoon season) we asked them if they would come down in price, (as this place may have been the best of a bad lot!) we asked the manager if they would reduce the price they would not budge, which we thought was odd as no one else was staying there! so we told them we may be back! With our fingers crossed we hoped we may stumble upon a better room so we rode back to some other cabins we seen earlier, we spoke to the manager of ‘Air paplan’ & he promptly showed us a log cabin, which was fine not damp, but not perfect either but way better than the previous place & he gave us a discount, so we paid RM130 instead of 150…bargain! We did however have a couple of visitors in the cabin a couple of mossies’ & a couple of Asian geckos, anyone who knows me would know how much they ‘freak’ me out, I just had to put it out of my mind!!!

We settled in then went into town for some lunch, we settled on Mary Brown’s (similar to KFC), on our walk around the town we spied a bakery, it had the most delicious looking cakes & savory rolls so we thought we had better buy some after all you have to support the locals don’t you? So back to the cabin then off for a walk down the beach, it’s a beautiful area with large boulders holding back the forests so they can’t meet the sea, how ever you could be forgiven for thinking that chocolate milk was the sea, as that’s what it looked like,

untitled-6.jpg

But apparently its just a season ‘thing’, also there was a lot of litter along the beach which is a big bug bear of mine, I know a fair bit gets washed up from the sea, but there was also local litter, I just don’t get it, on our way back to the cabin we found there was quite of accommodation in that street plus restaurants, so it must get really busy at the height of the season, the area isn’t very commercial which was nice…I do hope BIG hotels don’t come in & take over the area.
When we got back to the cabin i did a little bit of ‘tinkering’ on the bike, adjusting the clutch and chain and Chris got on with the ‘housework’…the washing!!!

untitled-8.jpg

There were a few colourful Mosques we past..

untitled-7.jpg

The next day we set of for Kuantan as it was on way to our next destination… Fraser Hill, on way to Kuantan we stopped in a place called Pekan as there were some amazing life size sculptures of horse’s made from drift wood they were incredible so life like.

untitled-4.jpg

Chris feeding the horses...

We arrived at Kuantan at about lunchtime, after a bit of hunting around we found a hotel (not too many in this area) we found one…Mega View Hotel RM 150, the staff were really helpful, i even got to park the bike right out side the hotel doors under the awning, we were on the sixth floor we had a great view of the river, the room was clean & comfortable, but had crap Wi-Fi, it was so
S-L-O-W, so we gave up with the ‘blog’ for a while & decided to go & find something for dinner, well in such a big town we thought we would be spoilt for choice of ‘restoran’s’.

untitled-5.jpg

Hmmm... wonder what service you get from this place....

Well were we wrong after walking around for about half an hour or may have been longer, we found a little restaurant that seemed very popular with the locals and the local cats!!! .When the food arrived we were pretty pleased, we had chicken with rice, nann bread with various dipping sauces & nasi goring plus a couple of drinks all for the grand total of RM13, After taking the ‘short’ cut back to the hotel we decided to get back to the blog!

We don’t seem to be able to get up early anymore! In Oz we used to be up about 5am now we struggle to get up at 8am,mainly because it is still dark at 7.30am, so much for an early start which we wanted to get so we wouldn’t hit the Kuantan traffic, but first we had to have breakfast & pack, about an hour later we set off for Fraser Hills a place we have heard so much about.

untitled-10.jpg

The expressways are extremely good roads and you can clock up a lot of miles fast and bikes are free but they divert you around the toll booms on little lanes,with not much room with bikes with boxes on the side..

untitled-9.jpg

Luckly we out run this bit of storm...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 617
Nice one! Brings back good memories. You seem to be taking your time compared to us! Enjoy

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,783
Subsribed
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Yeah we do seem to be taking are time abit, Will.

Thanks Gavo.
Everthing we own is now covered in red Cambodian dust
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Another update,slowly getting there as i sit in the heart of Cambodia

Taking it easy in Fraser Hill.

untitled-4.jpg

Fraser hill

The last 30 km’s of riding up to Fraser Hill, was amazing we were just about the only ones using the roads, and they were in fantastic condition, the grass verges were all neatly trimmed & no litter!
We arrived at our hotel ‘The Puncak’ round about 1pm (seems to be our arrival time for all hotels!)

After registering we went to our room…’cosy’ would be a word you could describe it, but we needed it for 1 night, we took a wonder around the ‘village’ then went for a bite to eat at the restaurant next to the hotel, while eating lunch we decided that we would stay one more night as it was so peaceful, to be frank there must have been only a handful of tourists, while deciding what to do for the rest of the day, I went back to our hotel to get a map of the local area, as I was walking getting closer to our hotel I noticed a large motorbike…a Suzuki V-Strom no doubt, the same size as ours but younger,…as I approached the reception desk I saw a young man in bike gear, he turned and smiled and said ‘you must be Christine,

steves way of life

untitled-4.jpg

Hi I’m Steven’…something like that anyway…I’m sure you get the picture… Steven & Clive had been in touch with each other while we were organizing out our trip in Australia- Steven is doing a similar trip, except he is riding back home to Germany…What a small world, we knew Steven had arrived in Malaysia but not sure where he was at this point in time, I told him we were having lunch and to join us he would be welcome, a short time later Steven joined us for some lunch, beer and a chat, we decided to meet up for a quick bike ride to explore the area.
The roads are perfect for bikers, tight bends that go up and up, we to stop at the top of one hill to admire the view, and we got off the bikes Steven must have put his bike on an uneven surface and the bike promptly fell over on its side…

over she goes

lucky for him there was no damage as the panniers managed to protect the bike, after Clive had shown Steven the correct way to pick up a bike, the boys accessed the damage luckily just a couple of minors scratches…After all that fun! We headed off back to the Puncak, and later arranged to meet up for dinner.

After speaking to the receptionist at the hotel he said it wouldn’t be a problem to stay another night…
We had dinner at the same place as we had lunch…as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice around due to the season being ‘out of season’
After a great meal and a chat about bikes…again, customs etc. we headed off to continue to play catch up on the blog, but yet again we had really slow Wi-Fi, which is so frustrating, it took forever to attached a few photos to our blog!

Blog time

After breakfast the next morning we said our ‘Good-Byes’ to Steven (Steven’s Way Of Life) & headed off out ourselves for a ride to Jeriau Amenity Forest, after about a 25 minute walk we came to a swimming hole used by locals.

Fraser hill

Jungle ride

Allans water

Watch out!

As the clouds & rain rolled in, so did the night, so after another delicious meal at the same English pub style restaurant we went to the night before (not a lot of choice out of season), again we were also the only people in the restaurant…not quite sure how these businesses stay afloat…maybe they make enough in the high seasons?

Kenda star bikers

The next morning as we were packing the bike up, and some bikers that had parked next to us came over and started up a conversation, they wanted to know where we were going, how much it cost, how old we were etc, they were similar age…thats all i’m going to say!
They are part of a bike group ‘Kedah Stars Bikers’a great bunch of guys.
So once agin after packing up we set off for the Genting Highlands…and so the journey continues!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
SimonThomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Great post! Keep em coming!
SimonThomas is offline   Reply With Quote