ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Partagas OP
EarthFirst
 
Partagas's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dofflemeyer Point
Oddometer: 207
Wix 557936 oil filter

Local auto shop looked up the numbers but want to make sure this works for my 95GS. Been searching the threads and cannot find a hit on whether this oil filter will work. Anyone know whether this fits?

Thanks
__________________
Partagas





Royal Nord 50cc
Suzuki Titan 250
Triumph Trophy 750
Triumph Bonneville 650
Yamaha 650
BMW 75/5
BMW F650
BMW R1100GS
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........
 
Gezerbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere......
Oddometer: 3,303
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....10&postcount=5
__________________
___________________________________________

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Partagas OP
EarthFirst
 
Partagas's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dofflemeyer Point
Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Yeah, I have that link book marked but it does not mention the Wix filter. I think I need to look at the cross references for Wix and Fram or.... I believe Wix makes filters for a few brand names.
__________________
Partagas





Royal Nord 50cc
Suzuki Titan 250
Triumph Trophy 750
Triumph Bonneville 650
Yamaha 650
BMW 75/5
BMW F650
BMW R1100GS
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dan Căta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cluj, Romania
Oddometer: 1,518
Never heard of Wix. Why not use some brand-name oil filter, it's not that expensive...

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Naval Air Station North Island
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Căta View Post
Never heard of Wix. Why not use some brand-name oil filter, it's not that expensive...

Dan.
Wix is a brand name and generally regarded as one of the highest quality oil filters on the market in the U.S.

The Wix 57936 is the correct filter for your 95GS
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Wix is a brand name and generally regarded as one of the highest quality oil filters on the market in the U.S.

The Wix 57936 is the correct filter for your 95GS
Purolator and Mobil oil filters are also highly regarded and likely more available at a variety of retailers.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Naval Air Station North Island
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Purolator and Mobil oil filters are also highly regarded and likely more available at a variety of retailers.
I was just answering the question being asked, the subject was "Wix".
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 09:32 PM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,045
All the BMWs of that generation share the same oil filter. Don't know where you guys got them numbers but what I have here for the Wix is 51348 and quoted as the right number on many many BMW threads.

Missing to my collection of pics of cut filters that the Wix, altough I already know what's inside, one of the autoparts stores I go to has the Wix sales display with such a cut up filter.All good....!
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I was just answering the question being asked, the subject was "Wix".
Oh-oh, I forgot. Sorry.

Newport News? As in Virginia?

I sailed on the CA-148 as my last duty station in the USN. Fine ship.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
victor441
Studly Adventurer
 
victor441's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Sonoma, Calif.
Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Wix is a brand name and generally regarded as one of the highest quality oil filters on the market in the U.S.

The Wix 57936 is the correct filter for your 95GS
+1 on Wix and FWIW they also make the premium Napa Gold filters. Napa has a handy filter cross reference at http://www.nfhconnect.com/lookup. (I have no connection to Napa but have generally been happy with the parts and service there)
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Partagas OP
EarthFirst
 
Partagas's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Dofflemeyer Point
Oddometer: 207
Well Wix is the one that the local downtown auto parts store carries. I could go to someplace further and out of the way or to a chain store but why? Wix makes good filters and I do not particularly want to go on a quest.

Thanks for the replies.

Partagas
__________________
Partagas





Royal Nord 50cc
Suzuki Titan 250
Triumph Trophy 750
Triumph Bonneville 650
Yamaha 650
BMW 75/5
BMW F650
BMW R1100GS
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Naval Air Station North Island
Oddometer: 1,724
Thumb

A T-38 is a pretty serious machine, there has got to be an interesting story behind your ride in that aircraft.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
A T-38 is a pretty serious machine, there has got to be an interesting story behind your ride in that aircraft.
I was an appointee to the US Naval Academy. I signed up for the AOC program however my health kept me from flying. I had friends who were pilots so they got me rides from time to time. So I did the rest of my USN on the USS Newport News in the Gunnery Division...the gunboat navy is now gone...I loved it while I was there.

More than that I can't say.

I would love to fly in a F4U one day...they're getting rare.

US Marine and US Navy pilots are the best in the world by a wide margin with the Israeli pilots coming in second.

Go Navy!

73

def screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 11:28 AM
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Naval Air Station North Island
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I was an appointee to the US Naval Academy. I signed up for the AOC program however my health kept me from flying. I had friends who were pilots so they got me rides from time to time. So I did the rest of my USN on the USS Newport News in the Gunnery Division...the gunboat navy is now gone...I loved it while I was there.

More than that I can't say.

I would love to fly in a F4U one day...they're getting rare.

US Marine and US Navy pilots are the best in the world by a wide margin with the Israeli pilots coming in second.

Go Navy!

73
Interesting.
I'm not 100% sure what the nominee process was back when you received your appointment but for at least the past 30 years the medical and physical readiness qualifications to enter the Academy are the same as they are for Aviation Officer Candidates, with the exception of the 20/20 vision requirement, but they will tell you right up front if your eyesight precludes you from flying.
So did you graduate from the USNA as a non flying Naval Officer? Certainly nothing wrong with that.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Interesting.
I'm not 100% sure what the nominee process was back when you received your appointment but for at least the past 30 years the medical and physical readiness qualifications to enter the Academy are the same as they are for Aviation Officer Candidates, with the exception of the 20/20 vision requirement, but they will tell you right up front if your eyesight precludes you from flying.
So did you graduate from the USNA as a non flying Naval Officer? Certainly nothing wrong with that.
Things were apparently a bit different in 1960. I did not find out that my vision would preclude me from flying jets until I was about to graduate from NAPS. I elected to serve out my enlistment in the fleet,then go to Arizona State University and study mechanical engineering.

Go Sundevils.

My father, brother were also US Navy. In fact, dad was part of the team that developed the first military RADAR during WWII. My brother taught snipes at the high pressure steam lab, Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

Me, I continued attempts to get a waiver for my vision so I could fly but time passed and it didn't happen. I later found out that my vision tests were conducted by a corpsman who doctored the results.

So, I was discharged as a white hat sailor.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014